HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 01zx12r idle problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
01zx12rguy

Parking Attendant
posted June 12, 2014 08:01 AM        
01zx12r idle problems

I recently purchased an 01 bike that was kept ina climate controlled enviroment he had it serviced only mods are a complete muzzy ehaust and a power commander i has a rouh idle. the bike has less than 400miles but the bike runs good does anyone have any advice thanks

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 14, 2014 01:05 AM        
Congrats on a new ride and good find with such a low miles. Muzzys are famous for the rough idle but finely syncing the throttle plates, fiddling with air bypass srews and fine tuning the AFR will get it better. Best would be to use ECU hacking but not many people aroung are familiar with it but you can find all the info on this forum from thread labeled "Hacking one ECU at time..." It's long but in the end part there are instruction how to do it. I've myself gone that route and in the end it's really rewarding because there are lot of "weird" tuning decision by the factory because of emission etc.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted July 03, 2014 01:23 PM        
The bike will vary a couple hundred rpm up an down at idle. You can tune most of it out with the timing on a PC3R map. The Muzzy pipe changes back pressure at idle and the stock ECU will not compensate for that. It's not "wrong" it just "is". Don't worry about it.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 05, 2014 04:41 AM        
It just is is the correct answer! Great bike! Congrats!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Gunner

Needs a life
posted July 05, 2014 02:48 PM        
My Arata pipe doesn't hunt and lope like that. Owned another 12R that had an Ak pipe on it and that pipe didn't hunt either. Muzzy seemed to be more concerned with peak power when he designed that pipe at the expense of the other 98% of the map that you will use most. ZX12R is a great bike you would probably be much happier with an AK or Arata pipe IF you could find one they are both out of production and hard to find..

Ignore this member   
2000redrocket

Pro
posted July 06, 2014 03:56 AM        
all i can say is my bike sounds kool with the muzzy ti pipe. dollar for dollar it is a good deal.
get a tune on it cause if not with al the air it bleeds off the head it will be real rich. at a lot of places.

i concur with the ecu hack. it is to me the best way to make power and more than a commander tune.

Ignore this member   
Big country

Parking Attendant
posted August 08, 2014 11:01 AM        
I have a 2001 zx12r with a mussy myself and had this same problem... I had to have my fuel remaped (computer)

stretched, 16,50,

runs 5.80's 1/8th mile @117mph

Ignore this member   
customface

Parking Attendant
posted October 09, 2014 09:26 AM        
Congrats with your new bike. Have the throttle plate synchronized and replace all 4 plugs and see what happen.
  Ignore this member   
capt10ed

Expert Class
posted October 09, 2014 08:32 PM        
I agree with gunner I had both om my 04 12
The Arata idled like an eco-box car
it hunted by maybe 50/75 rpm.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted October 09, 2014 09:23 PM        
With ECU tuning it can be most probably fixed. PC can't handle it because it relies on TPS setting that are not used on idle. When I was tuning my Akra found that if there is wrong values it also starts to hunt. It's all in the ECU I think.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 01zx12r idle problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23820400238037 seconds processing time