HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Stator keeps burning up NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted April 08, 2014 12:23 AM        
Stator keeps burning up

Hello new to the forum so this is my first post. I hope someone has had this problem and figured out how to fix it.. My problem is that my stator on a 2000 zx12r keeps burning up. I don't mean after a year or so I'm talking about 30 to 40 minutes of running the bike. The bike is completely stock except for the exhaust. I have read out the wiring harness on the bike and have found no shorts to ground. I have replaced the regulator, the entire battery box not for this problem i just wanted a new one with the covers. I have changed out the stator 4 times now and every one of them has burned up with the bike just running in the garage. A funny thing i noticed though is that when i don't have the stator hooked up and just run the bike off the battery it runs perfect. Then when i connect the stator to the regulator the bike starts to run bad like its hunting for a good idle. Also the bike has a good load tested battery. So i will say what i know its not Its not the wiring cause i have checked it. not the regulator because it did it with two different ones. not the battery its new. I cant for the life of me figure this out though I have even tried to run the bike with nothing but the FI components plugged in and it still does it. any help is really appreciated. Thanks guys

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted April 08, 2014 12:37 PM        
The 2000 model was well known for stator issues. Usually the problem is oil wicking up the wiring harness and into the connector located on the left rear of the tail where the regulator is located. This caused excessive heat due to the connection between the male and female parts of the connector being compromised. The issue you are having sounds like something different from this. It's possible that there's a short in the stator located in the cover on the left side of the cases. Am I understanding you right that you have replaced that already more than once or have you replaced the regulator that's located in the tail on the left side?

A little more information will help a bit here.

Ignore this member   
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted April 08, 2014 02:31 PM        
Thank you for the reply Gunner. I have replaced the regulator once on the bike. I have replaced the stator 4 times. It will charge at 14.8 volts for the first 30 to 40 minutes and then the stator gets so hot it burns the varnish off it and then the coils ground out and it stops charging. Its like there is something on the bike that is pulling too many amps from the stator. The only thing that stumps me is that when the bike is running on battery only (stator disconnected) the main fuse does not blow. As far as I know the stator should be able to handle the 30 amps the bike is supposed to require.
  Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 08, 2014 08:47 PM        
Call Rick at Ricks electric.He`ll know how to fix it.......
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted April 08, 2014 09:46 PM        
There seems to be short somewhere. It's a long way but start measuring the resistance from the stator wires to bike electrics and take parts off untill you find it. If the main fuse doesn't blow it probably means that the sort is somewhere in the wiring before the fuse. I think the fuse is on DC side of regulator so I would consentrate on the AC side of the charging system. You said that you measured resistance to ground but did you also check the resistance between the phases? Also if you have access to Current measurement (AC types shouldn't cost very much) you could measure the current in the three phases coming from the stator to get you started if there is only one or two phases that show high current. If you can't measure current check the voltages when connected and see if there is differencies in the voltages. If there is high current on just on phase it means that that phase has lover measured voltage too... But If you have changed the stator and regulator I would consentrate to the wiring between stator and regulator that isin't changed and carefully check it. Also is you have burnt the stator you may have allready ruined the new regulator too. Have you measured the regulator? There are the trouble shooting instructions on the service manual.
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted April 08, 2014 11:18 PM        
If memory serves me correctly and I think it does.. The headlight is the only thing on the 12R that draws power directly from a tap off the stator.. Look there first for a short

Ignore this member   
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted April 09, 2014 01:48 AM        
Ok Thanks guys for coming up with ideas. So first the wiring from the stator to the voltage regulator has been changed every time the stator is changed. the harness is part of the new Ricks stator I installed. Another thing i forgot to mention is that i originally installed 2 RMSTATOR stators that burned up real fast. The Ricks stator i put in lasted a little bit longer. I have done the checks on the regulator that are on Youtube by Rick himself I think I will call him and see if he knows of anything else to look for. As for the headlight relay I also thought the same thing so i did not connect the wire and still the same thing happened. See why I'm stumped now. I have done everything the manual says to do. I have disconnnected everything on the bike until there was no resistance to ground on the main ignition wire. Once everything was put back on the total resistance to ground from the ignition wire was 9 ohms. I have been an aircraft electrician/avionics tech for 14 years and I know that if I have 9 ohms to ground then the amperage drop off the circuit should only be a little over 1.5 amps. Somehow I'm drawing over 40 with no shorts to ground. and no fuses blowing. Also one more thing the wiring from the stator to the regulator gets hot like everyone elses does. However the wiring from the regulator to the bike does not. I have also started the bike with the stator cover off to make sure i'm getting oil and as soon as it turned over it sprayed like 4 feet across the garage. OK I GOT OIL PRESS TO STATOR LOL. I made sure the gasket hole for the stator cover was clear and the port that runs through the stator cover is clear as well. I should also mention i guess that the stator did not burn a couple of coils. When I took it out it looked like i set it in a fire for an hour. everything on it was burned. even the string tie that holds the coils on. haha Anyway thanks guys really for the inputs I'll still be checking stuff until i fix this mystery it's suppose to be 70 here today and i gotta drive the car instead of my go fast.
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted April 09, 2014 09:39 PM        
If you have access to current meter it would better give you answer where the current is flowing than multimeter. As you probably know the resistance you measure at multimeter may be differ than when stator is giving you higher voltage and some insulation breaks up. Just keep digging and removing wires and you'll find it.
  Ignore this member   
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2014 02:44 PM        
OK so update number one. I have checked the wire harness again and have not found anything wrong I got a replacement stator under warranty from Ricks. I talked to someone at ricks and they told me there wasn't much they could help me with so blah there. I took all of the grounds on the bike that feed to the chassis and removed them and wired them directly to the battery to make sure there wasn't just a bad ground somewhere. In the ground wiring I installed a digital ammeter and voltmeter. The bike running with everything connected is charging at 14.2 volts at idle and is drawing around 11 amps. I would imagine that this is a good number and hopefully I won't burn the stator again. If i do then I may need to buy an OEM stator. Is there anyone else that has an ammeter on their bike who can tell me if they are using around the same amount of amps. Thanks for any info.
  Ignore this member   
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted April 27, 2014 08:42 PM        
Ok so I have officially given up on this one. Rode the bike to work after about 12 minutes headlight died and then my amp meter said the bike was pulling aout 3 amps and then the stator fried and battery was not charging anymore. I have pretty much given up on the thought that this bike will ever run correctly again and i'm not spending another dime on it anyone in florida looking for a cheap zx12r project bike let me know.
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted May 09, 2014 05:49 AM        
A short inside the harness? Junction block?

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted May 10, 2014 09:21 PM        
quote:
Ok so I have officially given up on this one. Rode the bike to work after about 12 minutes headlight died and then my amp meter said the bike was pulling aout 3 amps and then the stator fried and battery was not charging anymore. I have pretty much given up on the thought that this bike will ever run correctly again and i'm not spending another dime on it anyone in florida looking for a cheap zx12r project bike let me know.

I'm close enough in Tennessee shoot me a PM with an email address where I can see some pictures please..

Ignore this member   
rj0012r

Parking Attendant
posted May 19, 2014 09:47 PM        
YAAAYYY i'm officially an idiot. Thank you all for the help. I won't have to get rid of the bike after all. I found something that hopefully will help other people so even though embarressed I will tell you all what happened. The stator cover has a port in it that routes the oil to the stator to cool it off. Well under normal circumstances this hole will route the oil but if you do not notice that it is clogged with something it does not port oil worth a damn. when i put compressed air through it a bunch of stuff came out and unblocked the tube and now the stator is running good witha stator that i wound myself its been running for a couple of days now and is consistently charging at 14.2 no hot wires no melted stators. I hope this helps someone else on what else to check. But looking at the bright side at least i know there are no shorts anywhere on my bike. haha ride safe guys.
  Ignore this member   
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted May 26, 2014 04:42 PM        
its also important to use the oem gasket here and not just silicone the cover on as the gasket is what meteres the oil flow. some bikes use a jet here, but kawi just integrated it into the gasket
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted July 03, 2014 08:25 PM        
Well Done!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Stator keeps burning up NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21529817581177 seconds processing time