HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: HANDLEBAR SHAKE... HELP NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted January 26, 2014 09:51 AM        
HANDLEBAR SHAKE... HELP

2000 NINJA ZX-12R Usually I can ride hands free and it runs smooth. After having a new front tire installed it shakes now. ?????????????????? Thanks

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 26, 2014 11:50 AM        
FIrst, what tire did you put on it? Or, home much differnt (if at all) is it from the one you took off.

Actually this is more common that you might imagine. The tire has a lot to do with the stability of the front end and can change the natural frequency of any oscillation tendency.
Many people expect that a bike should never oscillate hands off, but in fact, some do (although not the 12 from my experience). Actually the engineering in a given design assumes that the rider is "in the loop". That is, even the slight resistance of one light hand or finger on the bar can stop the weave or wobble.

First check the stem bearings for proper tightness.
Did you change anything else at the same time?

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 26, 2014 04:23 PM        
Seems like there is something wrong with the install or in the tire itself. ZX12 isin't prone to shake if everything is OK. Check that the tire is well seated on the rim. Do you see new balancing weights on the rim? Are all bolts tightened? Who did the change? On our old (and gone) ZX11 '90 I ones had a tire changed anything couldn't get it sorted but a new tire (of same brand, size and type) so there was something wrong with the tire. But ZX11 was more critical to the front tire anyhow...
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted January 26, 2014 11:45 PM        
just new brakes and and a new front tire installed at the dealership. thanks
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted January 27, 2014 05:13 AM        Edited By: Gunner on 27 Jan 2014 21:16
Installing the front wheel back onto the 12R improperly can cause this type of issue. Just because the dealer done it does not mean it was done right. In fact it probably means it was done by some kid that don't give a damn. Sadly the better mechanics don't do tire changes.

The 12R is rock steady even without a damper. Nothing like a First generation 10R which dances wildly in your hands. I didn't mind it myself and it would stabilize if you didn't over grip the bars and make it worse. The wheels have a natural gyroscopic effect that will straighten out any wobble unless the rider starts feeding the wobble with his upper body caused by over gripping the bars.

Ignore this member   
Lou_ZX12R

Expert Class
One Day at a Time
posted January 27, 2014 07:16 AM        
The 12r required a space between the fork and the spacer on one side. Is it possible that it was torqued down too much reducing that space? Or maybe the wrong spacer was used by error which would also cause this effect. I don't remember which side but check the manual for the front tire installation and it will show the space required, than check the spacers to make sure they are the same and one wasn't substituted by error.
As stated above the 12r is rock solid.

Lou

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 27, 2014 12:19 PM        
Besides the wear, is it a different tire?, If so what tire is it?

Check the stem bearing play.
The concept that Gunner is talking about with regard to the grip on he bars is generally the same thing as I'm talking about with regard to the stem bearing drag or looseness.
I keep bringing this up because you may not KNOW what your friendly dealer guy did to "help" you out when you weren't looking.

Did you or they do anything on the rear at the same time. Maybe the dealer adjusted the chain or something?
Front end weave can often be excited by rear wheel alignment or swing arm pivot play.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted January 28, 2014 03:18 AM        
The shop manual gives a very specif sequence for installing the front wheel that I follow to the letter right down to torquing the bolts the exact amount they specify. Head butting the front end with once side of the pinch bolts left loose is very important to make sure nothings is in a bind when the final two pinch bolts are torqued. When I head butt mine I have help to keep the things standing dead straight from where it came to rest after the last of several head butts and then I torque the pinch bolts. Installing axial mount brake calipers also has a specific process for best results and a motorcycle the rolls as free as possible. All these little steps that most people think are a waste of time add up to a fast well handling motorcycle. Take the time and do it yourself don't trust the dealer to do anything. Only thing they do for me is change tires and I take them the removed tires and stand over the guy they have do it. And if I didn't stand over him they would screw it up. I pay for 1 hour labor when they change tires and if it takes the whole hour for him to keep spinning the tire on the rim to arrive at the best mounting spot that's what I demand they do. If you don't do this you will get what you get and that's usually a piss poor job. I see a tire machine in my near future making a home at my shop.

Ignore this member   
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted January 28, 2014 08:45 AM        
Thanks Gunner. I am going to take it back off and put it back on by the manual specs. If it still does it I gues I will have look into a better tire. Thanks
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted February 05, 2014 02:15 PM        
Hey! what's the deal here? Any resolution?

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted February 06, 2014 01:09 PM        
No news is usually good news I've come to learn in these situations. I use to get all worried after every sale if my customers didn't contact me and tell me how much they loved their product within a few days of receiving it but I've grown to learn they only call when they aren't happy and no news is great news!

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted February 07, 2014 03:48 AM        
I hear ya, but I want to know what exactly was wrong. It adds to the database......

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: HANDLEBAR SHAKE... HELP NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24909996986389 seconds processing time