HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: WHY DID MY ENGINE BLOW NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx12mark

Pro
posted November 27, 2013 12:26 AM        
WHY DID MY ENGINE BLOW

I have owned my zx12r since new.59,000 miles.I changed the oil over 30 times with mobil 1 car 15-50 oil.The engine saw redline a million times but never purposely rode wheelies like those squids. It ran like a mother fucker till the second it blew up..I totally disassembled the engine.Beside the fact that #3 rod explode thru the cylinder and cases front and rear WHY.
There is no bluing from heat anywhere on this engine,The Rod #3 big end still on the crankshaft still spins smooth as butter.I believe the head can be reworked and used again .Do wrist pins work their way out and cause this.Can a rod just crack in half for no reason.The starter clutch is right by # 3 rod.Could it have caused this...............

Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted November 27, 2013 05:08 AM        
Any particular reason you didn't want to use motorcycle specific oil? My understanding is that motorcycle specific oil has properties that include resistance to things like shear because the transmission is shared with the rest of the engine and does a number to the viscocity and properties of the oil.

Then again, 59K and running it hard....I'm not sure if thats really out of the norm. It ain't no Honda Accord.

A.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted November 27, 2013 07:07 AM        
back in the beginning when these bikes came out alot of the guys were running this oil and with no clutch slipping.The bike magazine did all kinds of test on all the best oils and they found mobil 1 full synthetic to be as good as any of them.And the went on to say that it was bullshit about the bike specific additive`s making a difference. I put 57000 miles on my 91 zx11 before i sold it for 5700 bucks.It looked and ran like new with the same oil. I`m running it in the 14r also.we`ll see....................
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted November 27, 2013 07:22 AM        
IMO the motorcycle specific oils are a crock of steamy, stinky shit.

Back in the day I posted my results of 4 different kinds of oils I ran under the same (as close as possible) conditions run through chemical analysis by OilAnalyzers and were totally inconclusive as far as one being significantly better than the other, however good old Mobil1 car oil scored the highest.

If somebody wants to spend $10 a quart on "special" motorcycle oil have at it but its a waste of money IMO.

But hey, I have a friend that runs premium in his Toyota Corolla because he swears it gets better gas mileage and makes more power. You can't argue with illogical beliefs. ;-)

As far as your engine, Mark - Kawasaki has always had an issue with oiling on the big end. I rebuilt my buddies zx-11 that took a crap after 18K miles. But - if you got 57K miles out of it I certainly would not be complaining. Thats a pretty good track record all in all.

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted November 27, 2013 07:27 AM        
Yes sir...I have never popped an engine before.As I look at it`s heart through my autopsy I can`t see any bluing from heat on anything.Can a piston or a con rod just bust up when they decide to.
psycho1122

Pro
posted November 27, 2013 10:46 PM        
Any broken valve springs over #3?

Any signs of detonation or piston sticking in cylinder?

It was the small end of the rod that let go correct?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: WHY DID MY ENGINE BLOW NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24736094474792 seconds processing time