HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Night pic and story. THE ZX12R ROCKS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted October 25, 2013 09:37 AM        
Night pic and story. THE ZX12R ROCKS

[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/jscastle1974/media/nightpicZX12R_zpsac01d726.jpg.html][/URL]

Just needed to share....... Tonight for the first time in my life. I buried my needle to 215 on my 12R tonight. I started riding with this group that knows how to ride. Starting to really now how my buddies ride. Tonight I was riding with my friends 07 CBR1000RR. It was bike night and there was that good feeling in the air......and it hit 60 degrees in Florida for the first time in 8 months. Gorgeous night for riding. Bikes were real snappy from the cool night air. My friend and I started gettin in it pretty good. Hitting 180mph about twice for a bit. Mostly averaging 120 - 150 most of the night. On the way home from bike night, I came up on a busa at a light. He took off like a bat out of hell, but I held back because we were passing the county jail. After that we hit one of my bridges. I caught up with him and sat side by side. We both nodded, and both nailed it. I give it everything it had. Holy shit!! It's like I woke up a sleeping monster. That ZX12R charged forward like a war horse. At 180 I started to realize I was pulling away. Then I just tucked in and pinned it till I saw 215mph!!. Wow! I do realize that I was not going 215, but it was cool. And beat my rival. Finally beat a busa! My dream has come true..

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 25, 2013 10:16 PM        
Install full exhaust system, remove mirrors, repeat, report findings.

A.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted October 26, 2013 01:04 PM        
Full brocks gen 4 coming next week with PCV and advancing timing +3. I will report.
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 26, 2013 02:02 PM        
quote:

A.

You are a regular book of knowledge Ali! Where the hell you been hiding

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted October 27, 2013 01:09 PM        
Nice to see ya around again Gunner, you've been quiet lately. I don't have your number anymore. Got a new phone when after I lost mine.

The zx12 is doing well and getting lots of street respect.

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 28, 2013 08:52 PM        
quote:
quote:

A.

You are a regular book of knowledge Ali! Where the hell you been hiding

maaaaaaaan dont forget yo: i before e except after c

just been workin, stayin outta trouble.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 29, 2013 04:07 AM        
quote:

maaaaaaaan dont forget yo: i before e except after c

just been workin, stayin outta trouble.

I weren't never very good at dat kinda stuff but I do my best to member it.. Luckily in my profession writing reports isn't a requirement.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 29, 2013 04:10 AM        
quote:
Nice to see ya around again Gunner, you've been quiet lately. I don't have your number anymore. Got a new phone when after I lost mine.

The zx12 is doing well and getting lots of street respect.

I was on the exile list for several years.

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2013 02:39 AM        
Don't forget the "Double-Bubble" windscreen. Much more aerodynamic, faster top speeds.

I use the "Zero Gravity" clear version...

ebd

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2013 06:38 AM        
quote:
Don't forget the "Double-Bubble" windscreen. Much more aerodynamic, faster top speeds.

ebd

Do you have any proof to back up your claims?

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2013 06:59 AM        
quote:
quote:
ebd

Do you have any proof to back up your claims?

documented proof? No.

However when your 6'3" & 265lbs. it's impossible to get "under" the stocker.

When the bike was still brand new & just broken in (May/June 00'), I discovered this, so I bought the "Doublebubble" windscreen to smooth the airflow over my huge body out in the wind. Look at my avatar pick & look closely to see. I'm a BIG person.

After, I could tuck my head under the "bubble," making for much better airflow. Plus having the clear screen enabled me to see thru clearly unlike the stock smoked screen. I enjoyed the bike for over a decade, sadly selling it couple years ago in a weak moment. I still miss her...

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2013 10:28 PM        
Safe to say then that the optimal windshield for top speed will largely depend on the shape, size and tuck of the rider.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted November 02, 2013 06:26 AM        
quote:
Safe to say then that the optimal windshield for top speed will largely depend on the shape, size and tuck of the rider.

And the size and shape of the upper fairing it attaches to.. Like all MotoGp bikes are double bubble design but it's safe to say they keep the frontal area of the bike as small as possible so the windscreen has to be popped up like that to provide the rider's head any sort of wind deflection at all to help keep the thing as clean as possible in the wind. I would say if you can crawl under the stock windscreen of the 12R that's the slickest shape possible.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted November 02, 2013 03:49 PM        
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=629763007046421

Brock's is installed. Too Rainy today to test. Tomorrow will be a different story!

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted November 03, 2013 12:47 AM        
quote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=629763007046421

Brock's is installed. Too Rainy today to test. Tomorrow will be a different story!

linky no workie...?

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted November 03, 2013 12:53 AM        
quote:
quote:

And the size and shape of the upper fairing it attaches to.. Like all MotoGp bikes are double bubble design but it's safe to say they keep the frontal area of the bike as small as possible so the windscreen has to be popped up like that to provide the rider's head any sort of wind deflection at all to help keep the thing as clean as possible in the wind. I would say if you can crawl under the stock windscreen of the 12R that's the slickest shape possible.

You likely correct.

Just in my specific example, a football player size person can't get under the stocker. My neck won't bend that far! LOL

All I know is once I got the ZG shield, the airflow "smoothed out" (got heck of quieter too), & I could finally enjoy the top of 6th gear. It seemed much "easier" to top it out w/smoother airflow. I just loved that ZG screen.

New owner changed it to a taller smoked screen (for sport touring) that looks nice, but I doubt it's anywhere near as aerodynamic as the ZG screen. To each his own I guess...

IMHO, FWIW

-ebd

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted November 05, 2013 05:11 AM        
All I got to say is HOLY SHIT!!! Feels like a new bike. Lighter and a much stronger pull especially after 5000 rpm. I'll definitelyhave to get some seat time and learn the bike all over again. In stock form w/slip on, the bike was powerful but predictable. Now I'm not sure what will happen by cracking the throttle open in 3rd and switch to 4th at 11,500. I'm gonna find out though. Just need to find some open road.

I also feel like the front suspension needs adjusting. It seems to bounce a little due to the new lower weight and extra power. All in all I'm happy. Just have to practice more now

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted November 05, 2013 05:38 AM        
my suspension seemed a little busier when I went to BSTs. Bike is a little less stable but it is what it is I'll take the tradeoff for the less weight and easier turn in.

Remember stock 00 ZX12 rear spring was designed for a 240 lb rider....lightening up the bike will make it feel a little stiffer. Front completely backed off all the way is barely barely barely almost in spec for might lightweight (stock front end). Needless to say the rear being so stiff requires major respect given the stumbly muzzys down low/mid rpms. If I can run the revs up its not as bad but still a lil bouncy. I've considered revalving or at least a better spring but if I have a girl on the back its worth it to have the suspension not pancaked.

A.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted November 05, 2013 07:29 AM        
I have resprung my forks with stiffer race tech springs. I'm about 230 right now. When I got the bike I was 245. So with me losing 15lbs and with the new brocks exhaust, its the bike has dropped about 25lbs total and probably has gained 15hp. Also with the 17 tooth front sprocket, its no problem lifting the front at anytime or any speed. I'm going to the strip tomorrow night to do some practice.
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted November 05, 2013 03:31 PM        
quote:

Remember stock 00 ZX12 rear spring was designed for a 240 lb rider
A.

Where did you get that? In the manual it states 68kg (150lbs)? Especially the front is too soft for "normal" sized rider. And changing the rear shock is the best bucks you'll ever use. Made the ride much smoother. Gives you much more traction. Changing the front fork springs to harder makes the bike more stable when braking but it feels quite different. Still after 2 years with new sprigs and one year with new shock - I'm not yet really fine tuned the setting but better than stock - YES.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted November 05, 2013 11:02 PM        
Racetech's sight. And that mine backed off completely is no where near in spec for my 135 lb ass. Does ok with 100 lb chick on the back.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted November 05, 2013 11:10 PM        
[URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/00a1zx12r/media/ybornight_zpsce3e5278.jpg.html][/URL]

Picture of the mighty 12R in Ybor City, still looks good after 13yrs!

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted November 05, 2013 11:10 PM        Edited By: shiphteey on 6 Nov 2013 15:11
Plug in 240 lb rider for a 500 lb semi-wet weight zx12 (street not race setup)

And the 11.0 KG rear spring is right on.

Front would obviously be too soft.

For someone about 1/2 that weight such as myself the 12 requires a smooth hand and patience when the road gets bumpy with the BSTs. Factor in squirmly Michelins and you get a better idea of what I'm getting at. Smooth long sweepers I can just keep rolling on it and hanging off like a monkey its fine.

I'm just too light for the stock rear shock/spring...and when you make the bike lighter it makes it worst. And I don't see myself roiding up and going to the gym just to get the rear shock to work better for me.

A.

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted November 06, 2013 12:39 AM        
quote:
[URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/00a1zx12r/media/ybornight_zpsce3e5278.jpg.html][/URL]

Picture of the mighty 12R in Ybor City, still looks good after 13yrs!

Nice pic!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Night pic and story. THE ZX12R ROCKS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.41570591926575 seconds processing time