HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Do you know the years of zx12r throttle bodies NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx12mark

Pro
posted August 29, 2013 12:44 PM        
Do you know the years of zx12r throttle bodies

A flea bay seller assured me the set I was buying was from 2000.well they are not.I can make them work but I`m guessing they are 2003 .this set does not have a return fuel line.I can swap the fuel rail but I wanted every component replaced to help with my GREMLIN.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 30, 2013 10:00 AM        
They could be either a 02 or 03 model if they don't have a return fuel line. Unless someone swapped out the the fuel rail to make an earlier set work on their later model. Here's another way to figure out if they are 00 or 01 throttle bodies. The wheel that the throttle cable turns is round on the A models and kinda egg shaped (slightly) on the 02 and 03 models. Kawasaki claimed the shape made for smoother throttle control. And of course the 04 and 05 models has secondary throttle blades like all the newer stuff. There's a ton of difference in those two years from all the rest starting with two TPS sensors. I hope this helps you to figure out what you have..

Ignore this member   
smokeysevin

Novice Class
ZX12r-STX15f hybrid motor
posted September 30, 2013 01:39 AM        
Just wondering, are the 04-05 models the same length as the 00-03?

Sean

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 06, 2013 08:26 AM        
Yes they are the EXACT same length as the rest. I have 5 sets of throttle bodies and they are all the same length. The 04/05 are NOT a direct swap out though due to double TPS set up that's required for the secondary throttle blades. The swap out requires changing the whole electronic package and a bit more odds and ends. including the ECU. There are some very good gains to be had in doing so that aren't apparent unless you really take a close look and doing that requires spending money to get them in your hands to examine. I took a leap of faith and bought the whole ball of wax on a hunch and I can say it will be worth the effort but the effort is a fairly involved project.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 06, 2013 02:41 PM        
After thinking about the topic a bit I want to say that swapping the late model throttle bodies to an earlier model electronic system should be able to be done. The plug end on the TPS is shaped differently so it won't just plug up but there's nothing stopping a man from swapping the ends by simply removing the wires from the plastic connector and installing the wires into the appropriate end for the wiring harness you have. Think about it like this ... The TPS does the EXACT same thing regardless of it's shape or size. They all work off 5 VDC and are used to reference the throttle blades. Simply remove the second throttle shaft and actuator motor for the secondaries and the swap should work without issue. Unless for some reason the TPS works different on between the two but I doubt it highly since when building one off systems in the past on cars the TPS is whatever will fit the application and wire it up to work. Though swapping the whole ECU would be the best way since the 32 bit ECU is leaps and bounds better than the 16 bit unit...

I hope this helps answer any question anyone may have about swapping the throttle bodies as far as the TPS differences are concerned. After the post above I decided the information wasn't exactly accurate for someone that's not afraid to do a few alterations. It's true the wiring harness ends that connect to the TPS will NOT plug and play. But regardless of what the plastic plug is shaped like the wires it contains reference the exact same thing from bike to bike. They also do the same thing on any modern automobile FI system as well. I have a set of Hilborn fuel injector bodies that are on a ZX11 turbo project I have that actually use a standard Bosh TPS like you find on a car. All a TPS does is reference where the blades are back to the ECU by sending difference voltages back and each part of a volt is assigned a position somewhere from completely shut to wide open on the throttle blades. Not a lot of magic there..

Ignore this member   
jquick

Novice Class
posted November 10, 2013 03:23 PM        
I got a good set of throttle bodies off a 2000 zx12. Jeff

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jquick's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Do you know the years of zx12r throttle bodies NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24544501304626 seconds processing time