HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Gas in crankcase? Need advice NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
belizeanboy909

Parking Attendant
posted August 25, 2013 02:37 PM        
Gas in crankcase? Need advice

I just bought a 01 zx12r ... it has gas in the crankcase.. It is fuel injected as you know so I'm not sure if it the valves or what? Any advice on parts and labor would be helpful... It has sat up non op for at least 18months. .. Also it started but cut off after 15 seconds of being started and now starter cranks away. But won't start.. I even tried to jump it .. But it still won't start.. Please any help is appreciated..

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted August 26, 2013 07:22 AM        
Likely the vacuum operated petcock 0-ring on the tank failed. If so, gas just ran into the crankcase & made a mess of everything (this happens on the ZRX's all the time.)

The cure is to replace the o-ring, change the oil, likely the fouled spark plugs, clean out the tank/fuel system entirely real good, & try again. If it sat that long, there's likely water/crud throughout the fuel system as you tried to start it & the fuel pump forced all the crap thru the fuel system. The EFI & tank needs cleaning out FIRST.

Hopefully the crankcase wasn't completely full when you tried to start it, or it might have damaged engine internals. Gas/water doesn't compress, & it can bend the rods. Hopefully you just got a really dirty fuel system & leaky petcock o-ring.

Good luck!

Ignore this member   
belizeanboy909

Parking Attendant
posted August 26, 2013 01:58 PM        Edited By: belizeanboy909 on 26 Aug 2013 22:06
It doesn't have a petcock it is full injected... And I put brand new oil in 2qts when I tried to start it.. It was stored with a fuel stabilizer and sat on a power tender for the whole time it was non op...
  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted August 30, 2013 09:49 AM        
Yeah your correct, I forgot the 12R doesn't have a petcock. If you had oil in the gas, there's a leak someplace? (hey you old codger experts chime in here.)

Just the same, how did the oil look when you drained it?

Was it all "murky & milky" colored? (leading question)

Draining 2 quarts doesn't clean the system out. Realize there are oil passages all throughout the engine (see oil path diagram in service manual.) I'd flush it out w/some cheap dino "detergent" oil; and -after- you run it to full temp, change it again w/something good like full synthetic. Will protect bearings if they haven't been damaged already...

-ebd

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Gas in crankcase? Need advice NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22566294670105 seconds processing time