HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: zx-12 gear change? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted August 01, 2013 11:31 AM        
zx-12 gear change?

I need to get more bottom end power to improve 1/4 mile times. What is most extreme front and rear sprocket change to accomplish this???

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 01, 2013 01:52 PM        
Keep in mind going down teeth in the front is hard on the chain... though if you're racing, wearing out a chain faster probably isn't a concern. I seem to recall alot of people going down 2 in the front. I'd say there's no practical real limit to how many you can go up in the rear.

That said, not sure what the best ratio for performance is. Obviously you can go too far to where your first gear is useless. May be a better question in the Dragbike Zone.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted August 04, 2013 03:25 AM        
yeah hope your wheelie practice is finely honed....:lol

Ignore this member   
Ken 12r

Novice Class
posted August 04, 2013 05:29 AM        
17 x 50 works good if your bike is a little longer than stock and lowered but without knowing the specification of your bike its hard to say what might be best.

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted August 12, 2013 01:07 AM        
You made no mention of your present 60 fts, 1/4 mile times, mph, wheelbase, rideheight, weight, etc.

No one can get you pointed in the right direction aside from saying at least try a 17 tooth front if you aren't able to give more info.

A.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 12, 2013 08:17 AM        
I always used a 17/47 combo on the 12R and liked it a lot for street use. The difference it makes is huge.. For strictly drag racing you may even think about using a 17 up front and more teeth than 47 in the rear but you will get to a point of diminished returns. You will end up making 1st gear useless and the bike hard to keep on the ground forcing you to roll out of the gas and therefore killing your et.. Gearing is a personal type thing that everyone has their preference on.. What works for me won't necessarily work for you.. Your weight factors into this a huge amount as well..

Ignore this member   
krexken

Zone Head
posted August 12, 2013 12:48 PM        
Great post above. Don't forget that your starting line rpms are infinitely variable and your clutch can keep the rpms where you want them to be.
  Ignore this member   
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted October 01, 2013 04:40 AM        
If you're using the stock arm the 16/44 will will give you the maximum wheelbase and nearly identical optimal gearing, that's what I used to use back in the day.

Ignore this member   
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2013 09:47 AM        
Siphteey. Since I'm not building a pro drag bike and tuning to pro specs, I was just looking for some friendly advise on some quick proven changes by some experienced riders in this forum. I know all about the technical side of drag racing as I have have been racing cars for the last 25 years. Since I am new to the superbike world, I thought some one could give me some experienced advise on things they have tried. But thanks for sharing your pro tips with us.
  Ignore this member   
16-5-21

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2013 09:51 AM        
Thanks Gunner, That's what I am going to try next. Had some new tires put on today along with brakes, a battery, and service. Have not ridden in a month and I'm bout to go nuts, but, the road is mine tmrw! Thanks Guys.
  Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 02, 2013 03:13 AM        
quote:
Siphteey. Since I'm not building a pro drag bike and tuning to pro specs, I was just looking for some friendly advise on some quick proven changes by some experienced riders in this forum. I know all about the technical side of drag racing as I have have been racing cars for the last 25 years. Since I am new to the superbike world, I thought some one could give me some experienced advise on things they have tried. But thanks for sharing your pro tips with us.

"Pro Tips"?

W/out knowing what you had how was anyone really going to be able to get to where you need to be?

I mentioned 17/46 because it was cheap.

Bergie mentioned 16/44 because its the max wheelbase on a stock chain.

Gunner mentioned 17/47 cuz he wants a little more umph and 180 mph top end is still nothing to sneeze at.

Anyways good luck with your endeavors. All of these gearing setups will be getting you in the right direction. Bergie's recommendations on the stock chain setup is right for drag racing. If you're not gonna cut the chain thats the way to go. I did a 1.60 60 ft on it and I'm sure with practice 1.5s are doable when you get your clutch hand right.

A.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: zx-12 gear change? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25638508796692 seconds processing time