HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX12 no spark and fuel pump dont cycle NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2011 07:13 AM        
ZX12 no spark and fuel pump dont cycle

Got a zx-12 that came it cause it would not run after it fired an ECU, customer tried putting a different ECU and the bike still would not run.
After doing some checking I figured out it has no spark and the fuel pump will not cycle. If I jump the fuel pump relay the pump will run. After more checking figure out that they had the wrong ECU in the bike. bike is a 01 made in 12/00 it originally had a 21175-1089 ECU when it came in found out the bike takes a 21175-1079 ECU. SO find the correct ECU, install it and still the same thing, no spark and fuel pump doesnt cycle.

Customer had another tip over sensor so I swapped them out, same problems.

Checked crank sensor and it OHMs at 459 which shows to be with in spec. 375-565
Checked the cam sensor and it OHMs at 398 when the spec is 400-460 it is out of spec but I would think that could be due to meter or any other variances.

I also noticed the fuel level and temp gauges dont seem to work not sure if it is related.

FI light is not on but does blink while cranking which also leads me to believe the cam sensor is working.

Any insight on places to look would be great, this thing is driving me nuts!!!!!

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2011 07:35 AM        
After doing some more checking I notice that I do not get a FI code if I disconnect the cam sensor or crank sensor???
seems odd so I unplugged the temp sensor and it will give me code 14.

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2011 08:05 AM        
Ok I am staring to think my list of codes might not be correct, so can anyone verify if these are correct or not?

when I disconnect the tip sensor I am getting code 11 but this chart shows it as code 31

oh well looks like I cant post a pic but here is a link to the chart I have been using
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/33851-fi-light-sounds-bad.html

Ignore this member   
Michaels12

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2011 11:19 AM        
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=63033&set_time=

This might give you some insight

Ignore this member   
Michaels12

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2011 11:23 AM        
I would be verifing all fuses.....there are some under the tank cover and in the battery tray area....
Read the section on getting codes from the ecu by grounding the wire in the tail fairing area...

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted December 14, 2011 12:48 AM        
all the fuses have been checked under the tank and on the battery tray. I have checked for codes but no codes are present unless I disconnect the temp sensor or Tip over sensor.

I also checked the wires from the cam and crank sensor all the way back to the ECU.

Something that baffles me is it will not give any codes if I disconnect the crank or cam sensors. The only thing I can think of is that if both sensors are bad it would not give any codes being the ECU use one sensor to check the other.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted December 30, 2011 08:47 AM        
Do the headlights light up?
If not, you likely have a shorted stator which can also damage the circuits in the fuse box. Do a search.
It's a well researched and known problem.

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 02, 2012 04:45 AM        
headlights work, tail light works. pulled the J box apart and it looks new so I am guessing it has already been replaced.

I am starting to think it may be the ignition switch but still seems odd that I can unplug the cam or the crank position sensor and it will not throw a code.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 03, 2012 04:13 AM        
I had this same problem on my 2000 when I first got it. I can't remember what fixed it, but I changed EVERYTHING. Seems like it was something simple... Stand safety switch? Clutch switch?

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 03, 2012 05:37 AM        
yea I keep thinking it is something simple but still have not found that simple problem.

checked the clutch switch and seems to working fine.

Ignore this member   
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 11, 2012 04:31 AM        
quote:
I am starting to think it may be the ignition switch but still seems odd that I can unplug the cam or the crank position sensor and it will not throw a code.

When you unplug either sensor do you then crank the motor as though you were trying to start the Bike ?
The ECU need to see that there is no signal present (Sensor unplugged) when you crank the motor beforte it can pop a code.

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 11, 2012 04:41 AM        
quote:
quote:

When you unplug either sensor do you then crank the motor as though you were trying to start the Bike ?
The ECU need to see that there is no signal present (Sensor unplugged) when you crank the motor beforte it can pop a code.

Yes I have unplugged one sensor at a time and tried cranking the bike to see if I would get a code and nothing.

Ignore this member   
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 11, 2012 06:10 AM        Edited By: Greenisbest on 11 Jan 2012 21:21
Then you have an issue with the ECU or associated component as it should display a code.
I wonder if the Fi LED is blown ?
EU Relay checked ?
ECU feeds and grounds checked ?

How did the ECU get fried to start with ??

Just checked the ECU part numbers...
MY 2000 21175-1069 (ZX1200 A1)
MY 2001 21175-1079 (ZX1200 A2)

MY 2002-2004 21175-1089 (ZX1200 B1-B4)

You sure you have the right ECU fitted ?

Post the Vin and i can check for ya..

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 11, 2012 09:03 AM        
Not sure why the bike fried the original ECU the bike came to me after a few other shops had been trying to find the problem without any luck. they changed the tip sensor, fuel pump.

When it came in it had the wrong ECU it had the 21175-1089 ECU from an 02 so my initial thought was that they just bought the wrong ecu, so i located the correct ecu.

I have checked the wiring for the crank & cam sensor back to the ECU, checked the resistance on the cam & crank sensors, checked for proper voltage from tip sensor at the ecu, checked all fuses, checked clutch switch, pulled the junction box apart to make sure nothing was burnt inside.

If I disconnect the tip sensor or temp sensor it will give me a fault code. I am thinking when the original ECU fried it took out the resistor in the ignition and possible the cam and crank sensors cause if they are both bad then it will not throw a code since the ecu uses one the caompare to the other, so I have an ignition on order.

Ignore this member   
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 11, 2012 04:51 PM        
It should still throw a code on the crank or cam sensor as the ECU doesn't compare one with the other.
Crank sensor needs to supply the ECU with a constant signal.
Cam sensor supplies an initial signal on cranking for the ECU to determin cam position then once the motor is running this signal is no longer required until the next Ignition off/on for start up again.

Good call on the resistor in the Ignition switch and i usually replace this if found to be defective with another 100 ohm one.

Did you check Feeds & Grounds for the ECU ?
Also did you check the ECU Relay ?

If you have an A1 then the ECU you have fitted is wrong as the 21175-1079 is for an A2

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 12, 2012 05:59 PM        
Its not possible to connect A1 ECU to A2 wiring. One thing that happened ones and a while to my original A1 was that there was little problem in the gear selection sensor. It worked just as You said. Fuel pump didn't cycle and when cranking the FI-light would blink. Normally it went a way when I changed the gear back and forth and also swithed of the ignition. Check that You get the right values from Gear Position Sensor. Also could be the ignition switch. You can check the ignition swithc by using multimeter at the ECU end of the wiring. Check that You have the right voltage and resistance.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 12, 2012 07:05 PM        
quote:
Its not possible to connect A1 ECU to A2 wiring. One thing that happened ones and a while to my original A1 was that there was little problem in the gear selection sensor. It worked just as You said. Fuel pump didn't cycle and when cranking the FI-light would blink. Normally it went a way when I changed the gear back and forth and also swithed of the ignition. Check that You get the right values from Gear Position Sensor. Also could be the ignition switch. You can check the ignition swithc by using multimeter at the ECU end of the wiring. Check that You have the right voltage and resistance.

Hi,
Why didn't the A2 ECU fit ? Just curious for future ref.
Strange the B Model ECU fitted though !

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 12, 2012 07:35 PM        
A1 has different connectors than the later ones. 01-03. 01 and 02-03 have different program. The bike in question is A2 so B1-B2 ECUs can be connected but not A1.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 12, 2012 09:30 PM        
quote:
A1 has different connectors than the later ones. 01-03. 01 and 02-03 have different program. The bike in question is A2 so B1-B2 ECUs can be connected but not A1.

Makes sense Thanks

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 13, 2012 06:13 AM        
well the new ignition showed up today so I plugged it in turned the key and the fuel pump was running. hit the start button and it fired up. Still have a few other bugs to look into, seem the gauges are still not working but at least it runs now.
  Ignore this member   
Greenisbest

Parking Attendant
posted January 13, 2012 08:51 PM        Edited By: Greenisbest on 14 Jan 2012 14:09
Good your going in the right direction

Had a customer once who owned a Kawasaki ER5.
Reg/Rect went faulty and blew the ECU and Instrument cluster specifically the Rev counter.

Might be worth checking the charge rate when you next get the Bike running.... As she had a blown ECU and you still have faulty instruments...

Ignore this member   
Two Wheel Werkz

Novice Class
posted January 14, 2012 12:20 AM        
Thanks for that info cause the bike does have a new rectifier and the customer had asked me to check and make sure the bike was charging.
  Ignore this member   
gearheads101

Novice Class
posted January 17, 2014 06:48 AM        
quote:
Got a zx-12 that came it cause it would not run after it fired an ECU, customer tried putting a different ECU and the bike still would not run.
After doing some checking I figured out it has no spark and the fuel pump will not cycle. If I jump the fuel pump relay the pump will run. After more checking figure out that they had the wrong ECU in the bike. bike is a 01 made in 12/00 it originally had a 21175-1089 ECU when it came in found out the bike takes a 21175-1079 ECU. SO find the correct ECU, install it and still the same thing, no spark and fuel pump doesnt cycle.

Customer had another tip over sensor so I swapped them out, same problems.

Checked crank sensor and it OHMs at 459 which shows to be with in spec. 375-565
Checked the cam sensor and it OHMs at 398 when the spec is 400-460 it is out of spec but I would think that could be due to meter or any other variances.

I also noticed the fuel level and temp gauges dont seem to work not sure if it is related.

FI light is not on but does blink while cranking which also leads me to believe the cam sensor is working.

Any insight on places to look would be great, this thing is driving me nuts!!!!!

so you saying that when you jump the fuel pump the bike will run by jumping the fuel pump did you get your spark back in the plugs

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX12 no spark and fuel pump dont cycle NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.44441413879395 seconds processing time