HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: front brake upgrade NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted February 25, 2011 06:54 AM        
front brake upgrade

hi all,i have a 2003 zx12r which is running fine but the brakes are starting to feel a litlle weak despite very regular cleaning,and a recent rebuild,im wondering if anyone has fitted brembo equipment to their bike,either calipers or master cylinder and would they recomend it,thanks

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted February 26, 2011 02:54 AM        
Have You checked that the disks are straight? If they are warped they push the piston away and feel bad. Also if Your brake pads are worn uneavenly the brakes feel soft. First thing I would do is good bleeding and the old tie-zip trick: pull the brake lever to bottom and lock it there with zip-tie and leave it for overnight. That takes the last bit of air out. There may be some air trapped if the brakes were rebuild... Here is couple thoughts. And also if the brake lines are original it's probably time to change them.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted February 26, 2011 04:08 AM        
hi i replaced the lines a long time ago,new fluid,the works,started feeling soft about a year ago compared to a friends gsxr radials,i fitted new ebc double h pads,but the lever travel is still an issue despite the system being bled fully,no vibrations when i hit the anchors.i just want flashy brembos!!
thanks for the reply!

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted February 26, 2011 09:11 PM        
same issue here .... turned out to be a bent right front rotor....If you have $$$ fallin out your ass then go for the brembo's....I went with the EBC Pro-lite iron full-floaters with HH pads and I would challenge the brembos anyday...LOL...was lifting the rear tire yesterday...
  Ignore this member   
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted February 27, 2011 03:22 AM        
gettin married in 3 months,so dont have money for bikes at all,in fact,if she knew i intended to spend money on brembos,she'd castrate me to the bone hahaha.went for a nice spin today with a mate on gixer thou,brakes bedded in,double h far superior feel,
ill keep looking during the week and see what i come with

Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted February 27, 2011 11:19 AM        
Get the rotors now before you get put into lockdown in 3 months!

Ignore this member   
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted February 28, 2011 06:19 AM        
hahahaha you said it man! lights out in three months!!

Ignore this member   
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted March 03, 2011 07:26 AM        
did some research.brembo make two types of front radial calipers for zx12rs 04-06,with a pretty hefty price tag too,but would look the business,and probably stop too lol.other alternatives would be to find some secondhand four pots from a ducati and make some adapter plates to fit.i might try a brembo master cylinder secondhand first to see if it makes a difference

Ignore this member   
chuck762

Novice Class
posted March 03, 2011 02:23 PM        
Unless you are going to upgrade to 04-05 forks radial calipers are a no go. There are a few axial to radial adapters on ebay but they suck. They flex and make rude noises under heavy braking. I tried a set on my ZRX1200 and quickly sold them off as they didn't help any over stock brakes. Just added weight and more possible problems.
You can mount 4 or 6 pot nissin calipers off the early GSXR or 96ZX7RR. Both are an upgrade over the 6 pot tokicos. The 6 pot nissins are a little heavier than the stock 6 pot calipers. Busa axial mount calipers bolt on also but they are the same as the stock calipers other than using ceramic coated aluminum pistons Anything with the 90mm mounts will fit.
A couple of companies make adapters to fit brembo axial mount calipers to the stock forks.

Make sure the rotors are flat and not dished any along with being warped that would cause the lever to pulsate. Stock rotors are not floating so they do weird things if over heated.
Check the rotors or have the checked to make sure they are flat and within spec.

A radial master cylinder will give you an improvement but only if everything else is working as it should.
I tired both the nissin and brembo radail MCs. The nissin was a 3/4 bore off a later GSXR1000 and it felt just as good as the brembo rcs 19 I bought to try out. Pretty mch most of the newer radial MCs will work as long as you make sure the bore size is correct. Some like the newer Yamaha ones use a 16mm bore which you probably won't work well.

Right now I am running nissin 6 pots and the brembo rcs19 along with galfer rotors. I haven't rode anything with radial brakes and MC so I can't compare those but it is much better than the stock ZX12 set up.
I have a set of 4 pot brembos I want to try but I need to machine some adapters to fit them to my ohlins forks.

One problem with the radial MCs is that with stock bars the MC will contact the instrument cluster at full lock. If you have heli bars then you have no issues.

Ignore this member   
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted March 04, 2011 05:30 AM        
thanks chuck762! very enlightening!!

Ignore this member   
KINGKWIK

Expert Class
9.36@ 149.23
posted April 17, 2011 04:54 AM        
i hear that you can put zx14 calipers and master cylinder on the 04,05 12's.....any truth to it? If so it would be a great upgrade. The zx14 brakes are top notch.

Ignore this member   
twista

Zone Head
" Get up, and Stay up ! "
posted April 17, 2011 12:05 PM        Edited By: twista on 18 Apr 2011 03:08
yep it works,, its what i run... Brembo MC with Motul fluid,, Goodridge Braided lines and a Pazzo Shorty lever to match the other side made by Brembo.. HH EBC pads,, Zx14 Calipers and 04 Radial Forks and Rotors.. thats all you need!

forgot to mention this is a Brembo 19X20 MC and this setup is so good i wouldnt change a thing!

Ignore this member   
Tarnac Tyrant

Novice Class
flawless cowboy
posted April 27, 2011 08:22 AM        
now.....we are talking!!!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: front brake upgrade NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25654315948486 seconds processing time