HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: lockup clutch question.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
12r lifer

Parking Attendant
posted January 17, 2003 05:56 AM        
lockup clutch question....

I am going to be upgrading my clutch soon, and i am considering either the full muzzy setup, or the MTC lockup. I am wondering what a lockup is like on the street,and what the wear characteristics are like. I still ride my bike everywhere, everyday, so i need 100% reliability. I will be making 245-255 hp this year, with a 6 in. ext. arm, so i'm wondering if a conventional clutch will stand up, even the muzzy.

Ignore this member   
kingzx12r

Expert Class
woo hoo
posted January 17, 2003 07:45 AM        
Try Cowboy he rode Scotty's in FLA no problems.

coolrunning12@hotmail.com

Ignore this member   
zrxdean

Needs a job
posted January 17, 2003 11:37 AM        
My lockup isn't bad on the street, but I imagine you could get away with stiff springs. If you are going to dragrace a lot, definitely get the lockup.
  Ignore this member   
cowboy

Pro
posted January 17, 2003 12:26 PM        
That mtc lockup is very streetable and will not break like the Muzzy lockup.IMO it is the only choice there is right now.
  Ignore this member   
kcadby

Pro
posted January 17, 2003 05:47 PM        Edited By: kcadby on 17 Jan 2003 16:48
Who has brocken the Muzzy??? (just wondering...didn't hear this one)...
The MTC...IS Very Trick...multi-stage, lots of tune-ability...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
cowboy

Pro
posted January 17, 2003 06:11 PM        
OK,Its not the lockup thats breaking,its the puller shaft or whatever its called.The mtc uses a support that he installs in the clutch cover.
  Ignore this member   
kcadby

Pro
posted January 17, 2003 06:38 PM        
OK...
Just wanted to know the skinny on that one...already knew that though John's bike fried 2-pullers...so-far (knock on the wood)

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 17, 2003 07:02 PM        
I broke at least three pullers, and I wasn't happy, all on race weekends. Lucky Ryan Schnitz had a spare in his trailer when I needed it most, and I ordered spare from Ron Ayers to take to Maxton, glad I did because I didn't even get down the pit road before it snapped. Sold the Muzzys. Anyone with the MTC can you post photos and pricing? I'm interested!

Ignore this member   
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 17, 2003 07:03 PM        
here's your standard puller failure

Ignore this member   
cowboy

Pro
posted January 17, 2003 09:17 PM        
Bergie ,i believe the mtc is $780.00
  Ignore this member   
ninja12

Needs a job
posted January 17, 2003 11:45 PM        
Bergie, approx how many passes did you get from a puller?
Was there street riding included also?

Ignore this member   
ninja12

Needs a job
posted January 19, 2003 04:20 PM        
Anyone care to comment on how serious the muzzy lock-up problem really is?
  Ignore this member   
cowboy

Pro
posted January 19, 2003 04:55 PM        
look at the picture!Check out RG's bike.Check out Coby A's bike.MTC is the only way to go untill Muzzy recalls there product and fixes it.
If you want to buy a Muzzy lockup i know where there's one for sale still in original unopened package.25%OFF

Ignore this member   
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 19, 2003 05:06 PM        
quote:
Bergie, approx how many passes did you get from a puller?
Was there street riding included also?

2 passes. No street riding. The design is flawed. If you launch hard it breaks. Even if you dont; sometimes it breaks.

Ignore this member   
12r lifer

Parking Attendant
posted January 19, 2003 05:24 PM        
hmmm...this stuff is interesting. keep talking, y'all...i'm glad i asked you guys! this bike stuff is sometimes a shot in the dark...a lot of trial and error. glad i posted this.
  Ignore this member   
harryzx-12

Needs a job
posted January 19, 2003 05:57 PM        
The MTC Multistage lockup puller I saw has a hole drilled longitudinally in the shaft to lubricate the slot where the arm engages the puller arm.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

Ignore this member   
cowboy

Pro
posted January 20, 2003 05:59 PM        
MOTORCYCLE-DRAGRACING
Powder Puff Racer

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW I am also going to be running the mtc multi stage lock up have a muzzy on it but after buying 11 clucth pull rods I called it a friend has the MTC rode his bike 9 passes no problems. You know the cool thing about that is my buddy was having problems with it and he told tony Tony shut down his display came to his trailer set it up for him and spent 1 hour foolin with it and also gave up tuning tips etc, etc, any lock up clutch I buy will be MTC now that's customer service I guess thats why they call him Tony the tiger CAUSE HE'S GREAT

--------------
WWW.MOTORCYCLE-DRAGRACING.COM

Found this on psycobike.com

Ignore this member   
motorcycle-dragracing

Parking Attendant
posted January 21, 2003 01:12 PM        
DO NOT BUY THAT MUZZYS THING, IT DOESN'T WORK. THE ABOVE POST IS FROM ME YES I AM SCREAMING THEY TOLD ME THERE WASN'T A PROBLEM WITH IT BUT WHAT DO I KNOW I HAVE ONLY BEEN WORKIN ON THE THINGS FOR 11 YEARS MY UNCLE 23YEARS MY BROTHER 6YEARS. HUMMM (MESSAGE ABOVE IS BY ME) LOVE MOST OF THERE PRODUCTS BUT THIS WAS A WASTE OF MY MONEY. MTC THE ONLY WAY TO GO
  Ignore this member      
cowboy

Pro
posted January 21, 2003 02:34 PM        
Hope you don't mind me borrowing your post.
  Ignore this member   
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 21, 2003 02:53 PM        
whoa tell us how you really feel!

Ignore this member   
TurboBlew

Needs a job
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted January 22, 2003 04:54 AM        
Has anyone tried to "deep freeze" the puller shaft?
I know heat is the enemy of this poor little part. Perhaps a bath in a cryo tub could render more use out of one? Mine failed like yours in the picture Bergie...but a lock up was not to blame. Making 11 passes in 90 mins was...hehe

Ignore this member   
ninjamissile

Expert Class
posted January 22, 2003 06:56 AM        
Two of my friends have bought the Muzzy lock-up and both have broke. When I get the cash it's the MTC for me.

Ninja Missile

Ignore this member   
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 22, 2003 07:11 AM        
Steve, they all break. The metal isn't strong enough. I had several local machine shops look into making a billet piece but the cost was too high and it was no guarantee it would not still fail. Muzzys is aware of the problem, IMHO they should pull the product until a fix is distributed. It is possible to use it without breaking by leaving at idle and just releasing the clutch entire with very little load/RPM, but that defeats the purpose because I bought the product for racing, can't race without launching hard. If you're out of the clutch entirely by 5500 rpm, it will work. Anything over that especially on a big motor or nitrous, forget it the weights will expand and break the rod.
  Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted January 22, 2003 07:41 AM        
Thanks for the info guys. I've launched about a dozen times at 9500 rpm on my muzzy lockup. Didn't experience any failures, but took the lockup off for other reasons last fall. Will give strong considerations to either running the stock setup or a MTC this spring.
  Ignore this member   
ninja12

Needs a job
posted January 22, 2003 09:18 AM        
Anyone tried the MTC two stage?
MUZZY is only a two stage, Right?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: lockup clutch question.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.740032911301 seconds processing time