HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Question about steering geometery NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted October 16, 2001 10:44 AM        
Question about steering geometery

The '02 12R rake has been increased from 23.5° to 25°. If I've heard this right, the trail measurement hasn't changed. Is that right? I thought the two measurements were related and if you change one, you'd be changing the other... in most cases.

The "question" is this, wouldn't this increase in the rake make the bike turn slower? I've raised my forks a 1/2" and have tried to shorten the wheelbase by moving the rear wheel as far forward as possible (when I changed the chain). I've even tried a 120/60 up front (bad move), all it trying to quicken the bike's response to steering input.

I'd think that the increase in rake would have just the opposite effect.

Ignore this member   
KawRider

Expert Class
posted October 16, 2001 11:12 AM        
Steering Geometry

I raised my forks (meaning lowered the front end) this weekend, after installing the Muzzy Dogbones (center hole). I believe I lowered the front too much (about 3/4 inch), because the bike turns in too steeply now. I am going to try 1/2 inch. A small change makes a BIG differance.

Tim

00 12R

Tim
Black ZX-14

Ignore this member   
Earl

Parking Attendant
posted October 16, 2001 11:21 AM        
Your are right, it does make a big differance. You can change the rake and not change the trail depending on the offset of the triple clamp. I sure do not know all the hows and why's but 25 is the same rake of the old zx-11. It seems with the heavier crank, non-concentric throttle, and increased rake that they are trying to make the bike less of "a handfull". All of these changes seem to be focused on making a slower reving, slower steering but maybe more stable unit than it is now. As I commented in an earlier post, I would think it would not wheelie near as quick as it does now. I thought about an 02, but I am going to wait until it comes out and see if my assumptions are correct. If so, I will pass and put a gsxr-1000 with the 12 and Busa.
  Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted October 16, 2001 11:44 AM        
I just read in RRW

(aka Road Racing World) that the slightly lower handlebar posistion could possibly address the wheelie aspect as well. This is done shifting the operator's weight balance to a more forward position. I'm speculating that this position would also give the rider a feeling that the steering isn't really that much different then previous models.

With many wanting to raise their bars (via Helibars, etc.), I'm the opposite. I'd like to LOWER mine and throw on a rear set. Still, I also know that replacing the top of the triple clamp with a '02 version (if even possible) and a rear set are two items that will be just out of reach of my wallet.

For me, it looks like a 10R in '04.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Question about steering geometery NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.673307180405 seconds processing time