HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A ZX-12R story and pics to warm you up on a cold winter night.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted January 09, 2007 09:49 PM        Edited By: blitzkrieg on 9 Jan 2007 22:11
A ZX-12R story and pics to warm you up on a cold winter night....

Some tasty tidbits of my ongoing and soon to be completed A1 ZX-12R project.

I bought the bike as a new leftover in 06/2001. It was a spur of the moment decision as I had a '98 ZX-11 with only 4K miles on it that I really liked and wasn't even looking for a new bike, but when I saw this bike sitting all lonely in the corner of the showroom floor it was a done deal.

The ZX-11 was gone and the 12 was in my garage by 4:00 the next evening.

I wanted a green one but this was the last A1 I could find in Colorado at that late date and the red grew on me quickly.

Of all the bikes I've owned (and it's a fairly long list) the ZX-12R rapidly became my hands down favorite.

I've ridden this bike on curves in six states and loved every minute of it. I love the light flywheel in the curves and the BTTW acceleration.

Unfortunately after 24 years of street riding with no serious wrecks or injuries the reason we wear gear for happened and we went down in the mountains.

I came out a lot worse than the bike did. Four broken ribs, broken collarbone, punctured lung. Had it not been for the gear I most likely would not be typing this.

Most of the plastic was toast, the mirrors, radiator, the Akrapovic, etc.. Of course that stuff adds up real quick and the damage was real close to the blue book value of the bike.

My very cool and very small insurance company gave me the option of totaling it or fixing it if the frame was straight and motor undamaged. Of course, I chose to fix it up.

Now some people might not understand this. Why would I elect to keep the bike and fix it vs. take the money, part it out and go buy a new zx-14 (which I could easily have done and had cash left over)?

As they say, if you have to ask you don't understand.

Long story short, I decided to rebuild the bike sparing no expense. It will be the green I originally wanted in its second life.

I've gone through the bike from the ground up. Mods include:

- New Akrapovic
- New radiator
- Scotts Damper
- Gilles rearsets
- Galfer SS lines
- EBC Sintered pads
- Bead blasted and powder coated (semi gloss black) rims and swingarm
- Catalyst Composites full body panel set w/ Dzus attachments
- New Corbin seat
- New smoked Double Bubble windscreen
- Rebuilt/refinised calipers (dark gray metallic)
- ABM SS Rotors
- Watsen Design front blinkers
- Clear alternatives integrated taillight
- Cox Racing grill guard
- TechMount radar stand
- Other stuff I am forgetting... LOL

Anyway, the panels will be going in for paint in about a week, and she'll be ready to move into the rotation with my R1 before spring hits.

I'll post the final pics once the panels are back from the painter and it's all put back together.

This pic was taken before our last desert trip, about two months before the crash:

The new Catalyst Composites body panels have arrived, Very, very nice product...

Freshly powdercoated front wheel with new PP rubber mounted up to frame the ABM's.

The calipers I redid. I always hated the gold.

Calipers. I'm real happy with the result but they were a pain in the ass to do.

Freshly powdercoated rear wheel with new PP rubber and the ABM.

Sprechen ze Deutsche?

Ignore this member   
Connman

Zone Head
posted January 09, 2007 10:21 PM        
Damn she's gonna be sweet. I Can't wait for Spring.
(what's with all the lumber, you addin' a 3rd garage just for the 12?)

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted January 09, 2007 10:42 PM        
quote:
Damn she's gonna be sweet. I Can't wait for Spring.
(what's with all the lumber, you addin' a 3rd garage just for the 12?)

LOL. Nah, finishing the basement...

I'm getting pretty stoked to finally have her back on the road.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 09, 2007 11:43 PM        
Watch out those original valve stems on Your wheels. Mine started to leak after couple of Years and it's not funny if You realise that when going over 100MPH. Check the pressures periodically or change the seals / completely units periodically. They look good though...
  Ignore this member   
navpreet318

Expert Class
one crazy 12
posted January 10, 2007 03:11 AM        
looking good bob.....the abm's are good.....gawd if i could land up such a deal....the PP are very good tires so good that you'll be leaning more to buying a set of michelin pilot race....

i'm going for a set too....these tires have changed my riding style.....they just won't leave the road....

btw wear more gear now.....

its looking good....now even i'm getting excited....

Ignore this member   
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
posted January 10, 2007 04:04 AM        
What all did you do to the calipers ?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Matt Sterbator's homepage. 
Kram

Expert Class
posted January 10, 2007 04:21 AM        
Most agreeable.

Ignore this member   
Wideout

Expert Class
posted January 10, 2007 05:01 AM        
Feel like I'm seeing pics of Area51. This project has been under wraps for quite some time.

Looking great Bob.

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted January 10, 2007 07:48 AM        
Didn't know about your accident; glad you and your 12 have mended. I'm still stuck on my A1 also, 6 years and counting, so I understand perfectly. Every time I need to do anything to my bike, I always upgrade

Ignore this member   
navpreet318

Expert Class
one crazy 12
posted January 10, 2007 08:17 AM        
bob did you take a pic of the calipers when you prepared them to be powder coated....

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted January 10, 2007 08:50 AM        
After doing a "LOT" Of paint work with the Kawasaki Candy Lime Green WHich is Expensive and take a lot of time and care, I would get a SIngle Color paint I saw on the ZRXOA Web site and coat it with clear after. AT least that is my Next plan for my next paint job.

I feel you Blitz. It is the reason I have kept all of my stock stuff so that when I stop racing the 12 I can put it back on the street in Prime Condition. I saw where you had the ZX11D I had the last of the ZX11C because it was more Kawasaki than the "D" to me just like the 00 and 01 are more Kawasaki to me than the 02 to 05. WHich has always been Kawasaki's History to bring out the Scorcher and then detune it to death. (Best example is the H-1 500 the 69 to 70 were serious and by 1976 they were "ALMOST" a touring bike! An 00 ZX12R can raise your body temp like few others can and I envy you having that bike!

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted January 10, 2007 09:27 AM        
All right, fuck-it! I am pulling my calipers tonight and painting them. That looks too good! I love the color you chose. It is really close to what I had for mine. Just nevr did mine 'cause I was to busy doing everybody elses. I always hated that gold as well. Glad to see a 12 project going on! Keep us posted! One day I will get my wife to show me how to post pics and I will post some of some projects I am working on in my shop. I have painted a dozen 12's candy lime green and a whole bike is no big deal. The big deal is trying to match what the factory did. I have the PPG paint number for the factory candy lime green if needed.
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted January 10, 2007 10:15 AM        
The big deal is trying to match what the factory did.

AMEN!!

The Guy on ZRXOA had a 1 step paint that was really close. The Total advantage of the 1 step paint is if anything gets Scratched you can fix it without painting the entire pannel and even if you have to paint the entire pannel it is no Task to match the colors. "AGREED"??

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted January 10, 2007 11:20 AM        
quote:
... I have the PPG paint number for the factory candy lime green if needed.

crashtech
i have a 2000 lime green, with an extended tail which was painted 3 times with color-wrong paint; never came out right. What is the turnaround on you painting it???
Karl

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted January 10, 2007 01:36 PM        Edited By: VincentHill on 10 Jan 2007 13:49
OH Oh, I think someone is going for it! We all have had our fun with that paint! You can see by my Pic that I got mor "Training" than I ever wanted Lets see if this Pic will post!

It is Candy Lime green at the Hobby SHops TS-52. I am going to see if it comes in Bigger cans. It will need the Clear over it because it is not Fuel Proof! (Designed for Model Ninja's

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted January 10, 2007 02:07 PM        
About a week to 10 days. Send me your e-mail and I can send you a pic of some others I have done. brettsbikeworks@bellsouth.net Vince, put down the hobby shop cans and call me. They will never hold up to automotive standards. I have the formula for the real thing (3-stage) and the "close" (2-stage) version. I work for PPG industries as a technical rep-adviser. All I do is paint!
  Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted January 10, 2007 04:24 PM        
tuusinii - it's pretty much a high desert here so the corrosion problem with the valve stem nuts hasn't been an issue. I am replacing them as part of this project, just have to find a set I like. I called the dealer up on the recall back when it happened and they wouldn't give me the parts to do it, said I had to leave the bike there (usual liability b.s.). That ain't happening.

Navpreet - I have run Mich M2 Race tires before. Great tires but not my preference for the street.

I painted the calipers. I'm a big fan of powder, but not on a part this intricate. Too much room for destruction by the bead blaster or the machined parts getting bungled for my tastes. Again, just my opinion.

Matt - complete strip, spec and rebuild. Seals were all good and tight as I've always kept things real clean. New pads and Galfer SS lines will complete it all.

Crashtech - I too really like the color. It's called Phantom Grey Pearl. The pearl affect is subtle and a little hard to see in pics but looks nice with sunlight on it.

Vince - yep, the 3 stage is harder to work with and expensive, but there is no substitute for the depth you get out of it. I'm painting it in a 3 stage House Of Kolor (Candy Lime Green) which is really close to the factory (but dare I say much deeper).

I thought about possibly going lime green but it just wouldn't be right on the A1 (for me).

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted January 10, 2007 05:26 PM        
I am proud of you! I may suggest that the places where the stones are going to hit that you either use a soft paint or 1 step there so that you can keep it Pristine
  Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted January 10, 2007 06:04 PM        
I absolutly love those rearsets!!!
and the powder coat looks great!!!!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted January 10, 2007 06:23 PM        
Thanks Mike.

Agreed Vince. Already plan on using Armor Auto on the lower in the prone area behind the front tire and down low.

Its good stuff.

Here is a link for anybody unfamilar with it:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=12555&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=paint%2Cchip%2Cprotection

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted January 10, 2007 07:21 PM        
Not a problem....I use a mar-resistant hardener in the clearcoat. It works freakin amazing! As long as the finish comes out clean. The mar-resistant hardener prevents the clear from buffing and polishing (scratch resistant). Pulling the calipers this weekend. Been a couple years so need to flush brake fluid anyway. I aint takin them apart though.
  Ignore this member   
megabyte

Pro
posted January 10, 2007 09:34 PM        
blitz:
Where did you get your catalyst Composites body parts?

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted January 10, 2007 09:52 PM        
quote:
blitz:
Where did you get your catalyst Composites body parts?

I order them directly from them, MB.

http://www.catalystracingcomposites.com/

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted January 10, 2007 10:26 PM        
I didn't know about the new body work Blitz......Holding out eh Looks good Blitz!!
  Ignore this member   
Outsiderzx12r

Zone Head
Street Racer
posted January 27, 2007 11:36 PM        
Looking good bro, can't wait to see the finished product.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit OutsiderZX12R's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A ZX-12R story and pics to warm you up on a cold winter night.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21875786781311 seconds processing time