HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: NEW ZX12R OWNER NEEDS PERFORMANCE MODS ADVISE NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
capt10ed

Expert Class
posted November 22, 2006 07:52 AM        
+1 on DaveO - GREAT guy - he aslo did my ECU

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted November 22, 2006 08:59 AM        
Akrapovic

I went w/the akrapovic because @ the time it made the most power, and didn't require a power commander. My 2k 12 picked up 17 peak HP and ran great w/just the akra. I later added the PCIIIr, and the BMC race filter which smoothed it out some, and netted me a couple extra ponies. My 1361, with the same setup has made 212 rwhp on several occasions on different dynos.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted November 22, 2006 10:36 AM        
quote:
I went w/the akrapovic because @ the time it made the most power, and didn't require a power commander. My 2k 12 picked up 17 peak HP and ran great w/just the akra. I later added the PCIIIr, and the BMC race filter which smoothed it out some, and netted me a couple extra ponies. My 1361, with the same setup has made 212 rwhp on several occasions on different dynos.

Is that 212 SAE or STD HP?? If STD then the figure is closer to 200 SAE HP. You did not say if you had a 4-1 or 4-2-1 Akra? At the time I owned mine they "ONLY" Made a 4-1

Ignore this member   
muleskinner

Novice Class
posted November 22, 2006 04:07 PM        
NEW MODS

Ok I have fallen victim to the HP bug. I ordered a bolt on Yosh muffler and a Muzzy adjustable ignition rotor for the bike.

It's amazing. Once you get used to the power the bike prduces, it doesn't feel as stong anymore. I can see why we all go down the "Slippery slope" of HP mods.

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted November 22, 2006 05:57 PM        Edited By: Megabyte on 22 Nov 2006 17:59
[is that 212 SAE or STD HP?? If STD then the figure is closer to 200 SAE HP. You did not say if you had a 4-1 or 4-2-1 Akra? At the time I owned mine they "ONLY" Made a 4-1

212 STD and I need to confirm which pipe I actually have.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/terrycindy@verizon.net/album/576460762347651310/photo/294928803720212473/0?wtok=g8bOGjrWTmomOy9Au2qslQ--&ts=1164244744

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted November 23, 2006 11:23 AM        Edited By: Megabyte on 23 Nov 2006 11:38
quote:
[is that 212 SAE or STD HP?? If STD then the figure is closer to 200 SAE HP. You did not say if you had a 4-1 or 4-2-1 Akra? At the time I owned mine they "ONLY" Made a 4-1

212 STD and I need to confirm which pipe I actually have.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/terrycindy@verizon.net/album/576460762347651310/photo/294928803720212473/0?wtok=g8bOGjrWTmomOy9Au2qslQ--&ts=1164244744

using a 2.7% correction factor 212 STD = 206.276 SAE HP, still not too bad...

Interesting Article on STD vs SAE

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving

Ignore this member   
muleskinner

Novice Class
posted November 27, 2006 04:28 PM        Edited By: muleskinner on 27 Nov 2006 16:29
MUFFLER

I got the Yosh pipe today. What a nice product. I like the way Yosh uses the factory muffler ring to make the front muffler connection look factory. The sound is nice also. A bit loud, but nice. The Muzzy timing rotor should be here tomarrow.

Ignore this member   
KingKwik

Expert Class
9.36@ 149.23
posted November 29, 2006 07:52 AM        
I put a question out there for pipes and everyone said that they would go akrapovic. Is the pipe really that much better than the others?? Especially since its a lot more expensive than a Hindle, or whay about a muzzy. Seems that Kwai and muzzy have quite a history.. Just wondering if the akrapovic is worth the extra money, especially when money is short and there's other mods I'd like to do as well..... any insight or experiences would be appreciated.....

Ignore this member   
muleskinner

Novice Class
posted November 29, 2006 05:37 PM        
quote:
I put a question out there for pipes and everyone said that they would go akrapovic. Is the pipe really that much better than the others?? Especially since its a lot more expensive than a Hindle, or whay about a muzzy. Seems that Kwai and muzzy have quite a history.. Just wondering if the akrapovic is worth the extra money, especially when money is short and there's other mods I'd like to do as well..... any insight or experiences would be appreciated.....

I can't comment on the Akro, but for $249.00 plus shipping the Yosh looks like a great deal. As far as quality goes, the muffler looks to be first class.

Ignore this member   
ninja12

Needs a job
posted November 30, 2006 08:19 AM        
quote:

Depends on what you like.
If you like Rough and loud "hot rod style" sound, big cam idle, and extra power,
Muzzy is great.
If you like stock smooth engine,mellow tone, no idle problems, and extra power Akrapovic is the one.

Like a Mustang vs STS, very close is speed, but very different rides.
I didn't have a problem with the quality of either system.
I had the Muzzy and was very happy until I rode another zx12 with a Akrapovic.

I liked the Akrapovic enough to buy one when I already had the Muzzy.
Someone else will have to give you feedback on the hindle.

My .02

Ignore this member   
Phantom Menace

Expert Class
posted December 06, 2006 01:23 PM        
quote:
I am the proud owner of a new 2005 ZX-12R. I would like some imput from other 12 owners as to what minor modifications I can make to improve the perfomance (HP) of the bike. I am considering an aftermarket exhaust system, but I don't want the bike to sound like an airplane. I kind of like the mellow, deep, tone of the stock exhaust, but I realize any performance exhaust system will increase the noise level. I have read on other forums that one can remove the cat and do some minor modifications to the stock muffler resulting in a resonalble HP gain. Is this true? Also, I have read on other foums that the stock engine computer actually runs the engine a bit rich, rather than lean. Is this true? I would like to avoid the cost of a Power Commander if at all possible. Will I need to install one and have the bike Dynoed if I make any exhaust modifications?

I ride the bike on the street and am not much of a corner burner. I like straight line acceleration, which the bike in it's present form seems to be good at. But like most folks, I am a HP junkie. Any help you folks can give will be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the new bike, you've got a one of a kind type of machine.

As far as getting more horsepower from your bike.... you'd may want to first decide what you intend to do with the bike. The reason I say this is because sometimes more POWER isn't always the best bang for the buck on a stock bike... especially in drag racing!!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: NEW ZX12R OWNER NEEDS PERFORMANCE MODS ADVISE NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21049308776855 seconds processing time