HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 1287cc Je piston vs 1272 cc wiseco piston NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 10, 2006 02:49 PM        
1287cc Je piston vs 1272 cc wiseco piston

Allo guys which ones you recommend

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 10, 2006 02:50 PM        
APE - American Performance Engineering
7347 Rosamond Blvd
Rosamond , Ca 93560

Phone: 661-256-7309
Fax: 661-256-7809

do you know those guys

Ignore this member   
Phantom Menace

Expert Class
posted November 10, 2006 03:01 PM        
Let's see...

John Noonan
Lee Sheirts
Ace Performance
Dave O
Scott G.

Etc....

All LSR record holders..... All use JE pistons. If the weisco's were better, they'd all be using them.

I have JE 1287cc pistons in my personal bike..... and I did the research. In fact, the JE 3mm pistons are LIGHTER than the SMALLER stock pistons.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted November 10, 2006 04:32 PM        
First of all Wiseco "OWNES" JE and there is a lot more Toilet paper than Napkins! Does that mean that Napkins are not as good a Toilet Paper??

Neither piston maker you mention is that great and there is very little difference between them so pick which ever one you want and pay the lower price. Make sure they use round wire pin retainers.

Very few people have anything bad to say about APE.

Remember the smaller the Bore the larger clamping surface for the head Gasket and the thicker Cylinder walls to keep the engine cool

Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 11, 2006 06:31 AM        
Another choice may consider is CP Pistons. I recently purchased some moly coated pistons for my GSXR1000 smidgen lighter than the JE's and came polished. Visually looks identical too the JE.

Old 1070 pistons kit came from APE and they were Wiseco pistons they held up too my abuse until I got curious about NM and Methanol and got greedy....

Some other player over in the UK that make some nice stuff too

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted November 11, 2006 06:44 AM        
quote:
Another choice may consider is CP Pistons. I recently purchased some moly coated pistons for my GSXR1000 smidgen lighter than the JE's and came polished. Visually looks identical too the JE.

Old 1070 pistons kit came from APE and they were Wiseco pistons they held up too my abuse until I got curious about NM and Methanol and got greedy....

Some other player over in the UK that make some nice stuff too

I did not want to start anything but they are what I use "CP" The people that work there "WERE" People that were dis Satisfied with their former jobs at Wiseco and JE so they started their own place. WHen I called Mahle the Piston Maker for Porsche, the only 2 manufactures he mentioned were Cosworth and CP. My pistons held up for 3 years and finally gave it up at 1800 degrees "F" at an 18 to 1 lean condition and the engine was still running enough to ride is into my van! I would use nothing less

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 11, 2006 10:56 AM        
i just check CP piston and they make only a 1257cc for the zx 12

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 11, 2006 11:14 AM        
quote:
i just check CP piston and they make only a 1257cc for the zx 12

They offer custom pistons for all applications, including ZX-12. Let them know what you need.

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted November 11, 2006 11:46 AM        
CP is owned by Pankel... It's NOT just a group of Good Ol boys makin some pistons..
  Ignore this member   
Phantom Menace

Expert Class
posted November 11, 2006 05:11 PM        
Last time I checked, CP has never made an 85.5mm or 86mm piston for the ZX-12R.... just the 85mm piston (2mm). From what I understand, there are many variations of a certain piston design because over time companies like JE will improve upon their designs. That being said, I don't think anyone has produced more ZX-12R pistons than JE....

Just something to think about...

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted November 11, 2006 05:32 PM        
CP! I am not talking about the Corporate Structure but the Employees that actually do the work.

Harley Davidson has made Millions of Motorcycles do you want one? A Lot of Yugo's were made also! When I Road Raced a lot of the racers used 1 type of Shock S&W They never worked for me. the thing about top people (Builders and Racers) is that they can use about anything and go fast

I first experience with JE was at Gainesville in 2002 when I saw where the Relief in the Intake Valve Pocket was off by about 0.010and allowed the Valve to nick the piston "ALL" Of them. My second Experience was my own JE Pistons that were not all the same depth of relief in the valve pocket. They were about 0.07 difference which gave a variation of 0.014 which was enough to touch and bend the valve in 1 cylinder. I made the mistake of only checking the clearance in 1 cylinder between the valve and Piston. I never thought about all being slightly different! I Still have the Pistons and Bent Valves.

I have and use Stock Bore CP Pistons so I Know that they make them also

(I remember the days of People breaking in Wiseco Pistons at the road race courses. They just had a WISECO Sticker on them or the bike and EVERYONE Gave them plenty of room! Usually 2 Heat Cycles and sanding the High spots made them safe to race! )

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 12, 2006 05:24 AM        
do they make tuff skirt for motorcycle , and what is the maximun bore should i take betewn 85.5 mm or 86mm for a save head gasket?

Tuff Skirt (TS)

Tuff Skirt is a JE Pistons' trademark coating that is a lubricating, anti-friction / anti-wear coating applied to the piston skirt only. Unlike our standard Skirt Coating, Tuff Skirt will not wear and is designed to withstand many different types of endurance applications, similar to those commonly found in NASCAR. Buildup is .0005" per surface and finished diameter of skirt should include the coating buildup.
http://www.jepistons.com/pistoncoatings.asp

Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 12, 2006 09:48 AM        Edited By: ricksgsxr on 12 Nov 2006 10:13
quote:
do they make tuff skirt for motorcycle , and what is the maximun bore should i take betewn 85.5 mm or 86mm for a save head gasket?

Tuff Skirt (TS)

Tuff Skirt is a JE Pistons' trademark coating that is a lubricating, anti-friction / anti-wear coating applied to the piston skirt only. Unlike our standard Skirt Coating, Tuff Skirt will not wear and is designed to withstand many different types of endurance applications, similar to those commonly found in NASCAR. Buildup is .0005" per surface and finished diameter of skirt should include the coating buildup.
http://www.jepistons.com/pistoncoatings.asp

They offer pistons with skirt coating this is what I bought. Tighter tolerences etc .

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 13, 2006 07:24 AM        
is there anybody know what is the difference betewn the 2000 crank and the 2004 crank zx 12 r bien sure
  Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 13, 2006 07:58 AM        
At least 3.4 lbs. of difference....
  Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 13, 2006 01:11 PM        
the 2004 crank 3.4 lbs more than the 2000
  Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 13, 2006 01:29 PM        
my engine is off the frame the cylinder is out ! but suprise the intake camon the gear side is not pretty craches is it commun?
  Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 13, 2006 03:03 PM        Edited By: ricksgsxr on 13 Nov 2006 15:06
Stef12rr:

also check out www.calicoatings.com warning though you might be tempted to coat the underside of the pistons, rods, oil pan, pump with oil shedding coating, than coat the bearings, ceramic coat the piston tops, exhaust chambers and ports, valve facing, friction coat the springs at least that is the problem I had...than you can do the crank too!

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 13, 2006 05:04 PM        
ricksgsxr i try to go to www.calicoatings.com and no response
  Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 14, 2006 06:52 AM        Edited By: ricksgsxr on 14 Nov 2006 06:54
try this link, it works for me. i received a catalog 3 days later when I went too teh contage page and requested. check out teh FAQ section and call them for specific applications. Great folks to deal with

http://www.calicocoatings.com/index.phtml?coatings

Ignore this member   
stef12rr

Expert Class
posted November 14, 2006 02:25 PM        
ricksgsxr yes it's working
thank

Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 18, 2006 04:26 PM        
Another one

http://www.oerlikon.com/ecomaXL/index.php?site=COATING_SERVICES_EN_engine_technology

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 1287cc Je piston vs 1272 cc wiseco piston NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23766398429871 seconds processing time