HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Aerodynamics and Exhaust choice. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2006 10:58 AM        
Aerodynamics and Exhaust choice.

A few months ago I noticed my Full Stainless Muzzy system (titanium muffler) doesn't seem to run as close to the rear of the bike as it should. Let me explain....

From the front of the canister to the rear you can see it stick out farther and farther away from the bike as you go front to back.

It is common knowledge that you want the muffler to tuck back in, and at the very least run parallel to the bike, not stick out in the rear! This causes EXCESSIVE drag and STEALS MPH. This was part of the reason I removed the muffler for my record run @ Bonneville. Nevertheless, even where the header pipe ended, I could tell the tip of the header still opened up slightly away from the bike, thus making this a header/design issue and not JUST a muffler issue.

I noticed how nicely Iceman's Akro pipe tucked back in on his 1348cc n/a busa @ Maxton and ... as I got to thinking how important aeros are on the top end.

Would you guys know of which exhaust systems tuck back in nicely towards the rear of the bike? Can the Muzzy be "fixed"/bent back? I can't be the only one who noticed this or has this problem with my Muzzy.

A.

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted October 31, 2006 11:29 AM        Edited By: shane661 on 31 Oct 2006 18:30
You slow guys crack me up....
  Ignore this member   
DrRyanScarsella

Expert Class
posted October 31, 2006 10:33 PM        
Oh shit its starting already, the analysis and the trash talking. If were going that route Shane You did good na but I think I won the team fast ass maxton speed shoot out, and you drank all the beers.
  Ignore this member   
DrRyanScarsella

Expert Class
posted October 31, 2006 10:37 PM        
Seriously though, cutting my exhaust short pulled some of it closer to bike and I bent mine in some by puttling a long axe handle or something into the pipe and bending it slightly, with a acetylene/o2 torch this could be done even easier just dont heat it too much. Drop weight and pull everything in closer to bike.
I think some slick aerodymaic leathers and a special fuel cell would really get us out of the wind, then if we could pull those handles in out of the wind might be real good then.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 31, 2006 11:08 PM        
You do not qualify! I think the MIN Weight is about 225 You look about 195 to 210

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 01, 2006 12:50 AM        
quote:
Oh shit its starting already, the analysis and the trash talking. If were going that route Shane You did good na but I think I won the team fast ass maxton speed shoot out, and you drank all the beers.

I did have a few, perhaps 11, beers Saturday night.

But I feel pretty good about running 184.6 na, to your 186.3 with a 40 shot of nitrous!

You KNOW next year the competition is going to heat up!

Ignore this member   
DrRyanScarsella

Expert Class
posted November 01, 2006 05:22 AM        
I am already planning for next year. I am getting ready and researching as we speak, looking for the next way to drop weight and add hp. Also trying to think about ways to pull myself more out of the airstream, and I weighed in at 220.5 on fri evening after dropping 10 for maxton. Does that make me qualify, I wish i was 190.
I am going to have full exhaust next time so I can be close to the number you guys get hp wise. I think I had the least hp 12 out there without the nos. I have the crappy stock, choker header. Its heavier and makes less power then what you guys were running.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted November 03, 2006 05:05 PM        
Totally irrelevant.
  Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted November 04, 2006 01:37 AM        
DM: @ What speeds WOULD it be irrelevant. From everything I understand so far about aerodynamics you want a nice smooth/clean wake for lack of a better term. My pipe liteally sticks OUT. Are you saying its irrelevant because the rider's legs already breaks up the wind so much? Do you know if there have been any wind tunnel testing done on any designs? I figure in all out top end runs where you have it pinned for a while every little bit helps as you are really fighting the wind and the Busa guys already have an inherently better aero package.

A.

Ignore this member   
psycho1122

Pro
posted November 05, 2006 12:58 AM        
I think Doug was refering to the Dr.'s reference to his body weight and how it does not matter at speed.

Ignore this member   
Texas12R

Zone Head
posted November 05, 2006 11:32 AM        
How would you like to be 6'3'' and 210 trying to find room to tuck all that lenght in behind
something

Ignore this member   
DEEZUHL

Parking Attendant
posted November 06, 2006 08:18 AM        
no problem here on the 10.. the dual pipes are tucked up tight. you cant even see them looking from the front of the bike.. maybe a muffler shop can make a better bend where it exits under the footpeg.. then you can fab a custom bracket to hold it tight to the bike..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Aerodynamics and Exhaust choice. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.40214395523071 seconds processing time