HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: My Maxton Report Thread (with video) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
shane661

Needs a life
posted October 30, 2006 07:27 AM        Edited By: shane661 on 30 Oct 2006 17:24
My Maxton Report Thread (with video)

I just got home today. I have a ton of pics and stories, but I wanted to post up a fly-by video of my final run yesterday...it was also my best.

Best Run

I will add more to this thread over the next couple of days....

In the meantime: A HUGE thanks to Vincent Hill. Without his help (and leathers!), I never could have made this trip.

Also, thanks go out to Ali, Ryan, the Ace Performace guys, and a few others I'll name later...

Ignore this member   
harryzx-12

Needs a job
posted October 31, 2006 09:56 AM        
Nice meeting you. thanks for posting the video.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 01, 2006 05:31 AM        Edited By: shane661 on 1 Nov 2006 13:36
Here is a video of my 125 mph licensing run, from the cockpit.

There were gusting 25 mph crosswinds. Look at the bike whipping around and me trying to lean it into the wind. This was my toughest run of all of them!

Windy Pass

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 01, 2006 08:57 AM        
Some pics of my 12R...

World's fastest V-Max...(and me in some green 25 y/o borrowed leathers).....

I met this guy at the registration trailer. I was like, "what are you riding?". He says, a V-max. Now, I know V-Maxes. In fact, I love V-Maxes. But they are not top end bikes.

So, I ask..."how fast dd you run?". The answer.................

"182.9"

Holy shit! So I have to check his machine out. 1570cc's...all motor. Not even a tiny fairing!!! Turns out he is running 210hp at the wheel, with no power adder!

To further progress...

At the end of the weekend I bust out my 184.66. I am feeling pretty good.

He comes over and asks me how I did on my last run, and I tell him. Then, I say, "So how did you do?"....

:drumroll:

187 mph. Holy fuck! That is one bad 'Max! I have some video of him just creeping away from the start...and laying down about 182...just incredible.

One BMF 12R:

Like I said, lot's more to come.....

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 03, 2006 07:55 AM        Edited By: shane661 on 3 Nov 2006 16:55
Here is my "tuck" at 184, caught on camera:

As you can see...needs lot's of work. One problem is that my upper body is very long, and it's hard for me to lay down. I am 6' 1", 225, with a 30-32" inseam...

Tail-end aero's look horrible....

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted November 03, 2006 09:48 AM        
I think you are fairly close! If you scooted back on the seat and sat on the front edge of the rear Cowl that would have allowed you to completely tuck your elbows in front of your knees and the rest is fine Considering the style of the bike and your size. Randall is about 75 pounds less than you and he needed to get he feet back and head lowered

Ignore this member   
Texas12R

Zone Head
posted November 04, 2006 11:46 PM        
What kind of wheels are those shane?
  Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 05, 2006 12:51 AM        
Begin Rant Here:

These rims are Carrozzeria V1 rims. When I first got them, it really stuck out that for $1380 they didn't even remotely match in color. I sent them back. They returned the same thing to me....and I had to pay shipping to them, which cost me $100.

Anyway, I decided I would deal with the rims, and get them fixed up later.

So, I mounted them about a month ago (even mis-matched). Today, when I removed them, plenty of rubber shavings poured out of the cush drive. There is no way this cush drive would hold up for a whole season with these rubber inserts.

So, here I am going to install the stock sprocket. I couldn't remember if the bolts were 45 or 50 lbs. on them (actually 43). I set the wrench to 50, after equally snugging everything in a criss-cross pattern. I reach one nut, and WELL BEFORE 50 lbs. it starts spinning! I back it out to be greeted by metal shavings and mangled threads. Now I could see if I went crazy, but I wasn't even close to 50 yet.

I used some light oil and ran a couple of good nuts up and down the stud. It didn't look great, but it took 40 lbs, and I loctited all of the sprocket carrier bolts.

So, in a nutshell....between the mismatched colors, the weak cush drive, and the suspect stud(s), I am not pleased with these wheels.

End Rant

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 07, 2006 06:06 AM        
The ACE PERFORMANCE bikes:

This bike broke 4 records at Maxton, first time out.

How fast, you ask?

Well, I watched 3 runs. 1st run I watched, the bike went 203, on motor! Now to put this in perspective, one of the guys in our group went 202 on his 12R with a 40 shot. A 1427 12R went 202 on motor.

The next run....205 on motor....holy shit!

At this point, they decided to mount up an N20 kit....right on the spot in front of everyone, and go for another record. They added the smallest jet, only 15hp....and proceeded to lay the smackdown with a 208 mph pass....just tapping the button in 6th.

They also brought up a 'Busa:

This machine broke 4 records as well, running as fast as 214 on a 1348cc motor...with no spray!

The pair:

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 07, 2006 06:07 AM        
1427cc 12R that went 202 on motor. You can look at this bike and see that it could be tweaked to go a lot faster:

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 07, 2006 06:08 AM        
Here is the view down the strip at Maxton. As you can see, there is a bend at around the 1/8 mile mark. It plays a mental game with you when you first see it. From the cockpit you don't even notice the bend as you follow the white painted guidline on the track....

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 07, 2006 06:08 AM        
This 400 hp, street legal, turbo 'Busa went 238 mph...and has been 259+ in the past:

You can't really appreciate the speed until you run Maxton....I can't even imagine how scary 250+ would be there!

Good story relayed by one of the Maxton workers: When Lee Shierts made his first pass, and ran 250 mph on the bike....he made the first turn off after the speed trap! That, my friends, is balls of steel!

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted November 07, 2006 06:09 AM        
Packing up at the end of the weekend:

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: My Maxton Report Thread (with video) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.41364598274231 seconds processing time