HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Modding a 20k Mile Engine NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2006 02:12 PM        Edited By: shane661 on 18 Oct 2006 15:43
Modding a 20k Mile Engine

I have an '02 with nearly 20k on it. Some high speed running, and about 110 1/8 mile passes on the bike. Oil is typically changed every 2k miles.

The tranny is solid. Never pops out of gear, never misses shifts.

I would like to upgrade it this winter. Is it risky to just bolt on a 1270-90 kit and a ported head (also, billet basket)? And then I was also thinking of adding a 40-60 shot to that setup.

Do I need to have the bottom end torn down?

Any input appreciated.

Shane

Ignore this member   
12r1

Expert Class
posted October 18, 2006 02:27 PM        Edited By: 12r1 on 18 Oct 2006 15:30
The professionals will say to tear it down to the cases, but I myself would do it. The engines now are 100k engines, not 20k like the good(or bad) 'ol days. Any issues that may possibly come down the road, were gonna happen whether it was stock/1290.
  Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 18, 2006 03:45 PM        
If you are accurate with your oil change schedule above and the bike was broken in properly I too would leave the bottom end intact.

Have you run any oil analysis on this motor recently? Might not be a bad idea before you decide your plan and could save you a boatload of $$$ down the road.

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2006 03:51 PM        
I haven't had any oil analysis done. That seems like a black art to me; I have heard of different results from the same samples!
  Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 18, 2006 04:59 PM        Edited By: blitzkrieg on 18 Oct 2006 18:01
quote:
I haven't had any oil analysis done. That seems like a black art to me; I have heard of different results from the same samples!

Not sure where you heard that or what companies were involved but oil analysis is a precise science.

I've been using this company for many years and have been very happy with them.

http://www.oaitesting.com/

You've got to follow the procedures carefully when sampling.

A boatload of trucking firms and fleet operators don't spend money on oil analysis for no reason. Neither do I.

Ignore this member   
supra5677

Pro
posted October 18, 2006 08:40 PM        
ya Id'e go with a 1287 kit..then intake cam on the exhaust side degree to 106/103
should make 200rwhp

Ignore this member     
psycho1122

Pro
posted October 19, 2006 06:29 AM        
I would do a compression check to see how close and how high a # you get in the holes.

Also, verify valve clearances and adjust if needed.

Do a full tune up including having the injectors serviced. I would also pull the pan and replace the oil pump rotor. A litle bit of time and at a cost of less than $100 for the parts could save you thousands later! It would not hurt while the pan is off to inspect the shift forks and drum.

At this point, check the actual oil pressure at different RPM ranges to see if they are in spec. according to the manual.

If all these things a sound, a nice 1270 kit or something would be reasonable.

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 08:05 AM        
quote:
I would do a compression check to see how close and how high a # you get in the holes.

Also, verify valve clearances and adjust if needed.

Do a full tune up including having the injectors serviced. I would also pull the pan and replace the oil pump rotor. A litle bit of time and at a cost of less than $100 for the parts could save you thousands later! It would not hurt while the pan is off to inspect the shift forks and drum.

At this point, check the actual oil pressure at different RPM ranges to see if they are in spec. according to the manual.

If all these things a sound, a nice 1270 kit or something would be reasonable.

Sounds like good advise to me. If it was a motor that I did not know the complete history of I would do this in a minute.... What Blitz told you is sound science as well. It will tell you a lot to have the oil checked.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 09:27 AM        Edited By: VincentHill on 19 Oct 2006 10:40
quote:
ya Id'e go with a 1287 kit..then intake cam on the exhaust side degree to 106/103
should make 200rwhp

I have YET to see any 1270 or 1290 KIT Make 200 STD HP Let alone SAE.

On Average they make about 180 SAE for the 1270 and 183 to 185 SAE for the 1290 and that is that!

Even if you took your engine apart, do you know what you are looking at? Measuring things is a Skill Level unto itself. AT best, looking at the Bearings May tell you something and to polish the crank and replace the mains would be the most you would want to do. Taking the Rod Caps off would mean replacing all of the Rod Bolts and Torqueing them to a Measured Stretch Point. This is Highly Skilled work and even the Highly Skilled are not perfect!

I spent a lot of money on measuring equipment that I use about once every year or so. Never will pay for itself but at least I am making sure I do not mess things up any more than I have to! ..

If you get the top end back together and do not mess things up you will gain more than anything else I can think of. My guess is that there are maybe 20 people on THIS Board that can take your engine apart and put it back together better than it was. These people include Brock, Muzzy, DOug M, Pierre (Bear) JP (Bear), DOug R, Kevin, Johnny Cheeseman, Y2K, Karl, Dan, Mike, Blitz, Tony, and about 10 other. I do not even include myself because I am not good enough!

A tough Crowd to Join!

Ignore this member   
12r1

Expert Class
posted October 19, 2006 01:14 PM        
Yes, you do need some competency to go in there..
A guy I work with has many times cranked in the micrometer, to get it in size!!! Not saying your like that, just a funny story.

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted October 19, 2006 03:24 PM        
I wouldn't/didn't want just anybody touching my engine.It was only after I learned about Mike Velasco and discovered that he lived just across the water that I began seriously considering a stroker. 20k miles and 3 years later, my 2k 1361 is still putting out over 209 rwhp. I don't think anyone could have asked for or expected more....I've rebuilt a number of engines myself, but knew enough to leave this one to the expert. I'd say Mike took my engine apart and did put it back together better than it was.

quote:
quote:
My guess is that there are maybe 20 people on THIS Board that can take your engine apart and put it back together better than it was. These people include Brock, Muzzy, DOug M, Pierre (Bear) JP (Bear), DOug R, Kevin, Johnny Cheeseman, Y2K, Karl, Dan, Mike, Blitz, Tony, and about 10 other. I do not even include myself because I am not good enough!

A tough Crowd to Join!

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 04:09 PM        
20K miles on a 1361 stroker? That is impressive!!!
  Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 04:34 PM        
Someone knew what they were doin for sure
  Ignore this member   
supra5677

Pro
posted October 19, 2006 04:40 PM        
the 200 hp I was referring to was std.. big difference
  Ignore this member     
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 19, 2006 06:02 PM        
Pulling the pan is a great idea.

I thought it was implied but might be assuming too much.?!

I remember a post Vince put up about 1.5 years ago when he pulled the pan and cleaned the pickup screen on his 12.

I was amazed at how much shit was in there. I don't know if it's a 12 thing or if Vince's motor was built on a Friday but it was not good.

Vince, did you save all that crap you pulled out in a pickle jar somewhere? If so throw down a white towel and snap a pic!

Ignore this member   
Johnnycheese

Pro
posted October 19, 2006 06:54 PM        
throw it away and buy something newer

Ignore this member   
osti33

Needs a job
posted October 19, 2006 07:02 PM        Edited By: osti33 on 19 Oct 2006 20:02
quote:
throw it away and buy something newer

lol. How do you really feel John?

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 08:20 PM        
What!! You mean these Pictures??

What is in the Screen in Black Kawasaki Bond (Factory Junk) Silicone High Temp Cooper (My doings) It looked like some Clutch Material and some Aluminum from Break in. This was at about 7,000 Miles Last Pic was the Coby Adams Pan with the Brock by Hindle 4-2-1 Sidewinder Raised in Back for a lot more Ground Clearance

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 19, 2006 08:31 PM        
Thats the white towel pic's Vince.

Thanks!

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2006 08:39 PM        
Seek and Ye shall find! I knew you were hoping it was still around! Thanks to Bergie it is.

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 19, 2006 08:53 PM        

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Modding a 20k Mile Engine NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2356698513031 seconds processing time