HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: The CP Pistons & Rings are Beautiful after 3 years NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2006 08:00 AM        Edited By: VincentHill on 9 Oct 2006 09:01
The CP Pistons & Rings are Beautiful after 3 years

I lifted the cylinder off the Piston and Rings and you could see the original cam grind marks all except the small amount of wear at the Bottom skirt of the piston there was no visiable wear!

No Scratches anywhere and the flash off the Studs caused the light mark on the pistons

Not a scratch anywhere!

Now this part is back together and working on the head!

I also used th straight edge and a .002 was tight everywhere and no light from behind anywhere!

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2006 08:12 AM        
That's good news Vince.............You're luckier than I have even been
  Ignore this member   
forceofnature

Parking Attendant
posted October 09, 2006 08:38 AM        
Man that looks real good.
  Ignore this member   
TRNorBRN6001

Needs a job
posted October 09, 2006 09:10 AM        
Those pistons look better than my brand new ones I am putting in!

Did you ever happen to find out what APE said was a good spec to torque those studds down to. They are the ones that are slightly thicker than the stock bolts I believe.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2006 11:56 AM        
YES and I posted it! 52 lb ft MIN and 62 to 65 MAX lb ft. Si I will go 10 lbs more to 55 lb ft

Actually seeing all of the original marks on the Pistons and even the 320 grade cross Hatch I put on them for oil retension all there along with the marks the Bottle Brush makes was surprizing!

This thing has over 1,000 miles of which 400 are at Maxton and 100 on the Dyno over 3 years

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 09, 2006 05:07 PM        
Vincent, look at the washed spot on the piston where the suspended fuel is hitting the piston. The same as my bike and all used 12r pistons I've seen. Thats reducing efficiency and increasing the BSFC. The more you advance the intake cam the larger those spots get.
A the newer style injectors with 12 holes might reduce the mass of the individuel droplets and reduce the amout of fuel that is taken out of suspension because it cant take the corner and hits the piston because the droplets are too big.
Its somthing that might be worth looking into. Most of the new 1000's have these now.
Also the airflow might increase if the piston wasnt in the way so much. Maybe cut a relief in the piston in that area to allow more airflow while the piston is very close (.025") to the exhaust valve.
Its just two things I'm going to do some r&d on this winter. I need 24vdc to start it anyway, so I might as well crank up the compression and put cams in it now.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2006 07:50 PM        
Actually I have closer to 0.040 of clearance because of the flat topped Pistons and the 0.100 Base Spacer

#2, I thought that clean spot was from the NOS Injector that was "Angled" to the left and Spraying more toward the left Intake Valve than the Right because the injector is mounted Right of Center.

#3, when I took my engine apart BEFORE I was using the direct injection of the NOS the entire Piston had the same look!

You may be right but that is my thought!

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted October 10, 2006 06:28 AM        
quote:
I need 24vdc to start it anyway, so I might as well crank up the compression and put cams in it now.

Hey Jim did you see that link Nox posted in the drag section for that company that makes the adpt to use a Millwaukee Battery pack in either 14 or 18 volts?? That would be perfect for the back- up starter battery wouldn't it?? Easy to charge and spares are everywhere...

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 10, 2006 11:00 AM        Edited By: Y2KZX12R on 10 Oct 2006 12:04
Vince, heres what it looks like stock...

Gunner, No I didnt see that. I dont knw enough about nicad vs lead acid batteries to know if there would be a compatability issue...?

This little 4ah sucker works well.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: The CP Pistons & Rings are Beautiful after 3 years NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20745205879211 seconds processing time