HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: The dreaded headlight problem....... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted June 27, 2006 06:17 AM        
The dreaded headlight problem.......

Has me thinking if this thing was a horse, I'd would have already shot it!
Could somebody shed some light (no pun intended) on what it takes to get my headlights working?
My alternator connector is like most everyone elses so I went ahead and hard wired it but I can't figure out my light trouble. I've checked and rechecked top and lower fuses, hi & low beam relays, swapped the junction box with a known good one to eliminate the built in headlight relay, and am in the process of running down the wires with no luck so far.
My city light and turn signals work fine, just no voltage present at the light plugs or even the connector before the lights.

Anyone with some different ideas? Sure would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

BTW.........Before the Search Nazis get me, I have read a ton and learned a lot but cannot find a fix like everyone else has. Thanks again!

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted June 27, 2006 06:42 AM        
is'nt there a fuse in the battery compartment?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
madmike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted June 27, 2006 07:11 AM        
I believe Mark is correct that there is a main light fuse in the fuse box... and other then that, Dan behind the gauges there is a main plug that connects the headlights, maybe it came loose?
Mad Mike

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted June 27, 2006 07:18 AM        
the last time Epstein's stator connector leaked it fried the headlight harness too.

It was the second time around for him having to replace the stator and harness.

Ignore this member   
GuNNer

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2006 07:20 AM        Edited By: GuNNer on 27 Jun 2006 15:23
Dan if you need to swap any parts off mine to help eliminate possibilities let me know I'll be glad to do so. That kind of stuff will drive a preacher to cuss ...

Zach has my number....... ANYTIME!

Mike.

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted June 27, 2006 01:11 PM        
The headlight fuse at the battery is good and I had checked the connector in the upper fairing too. The alternator output was at 115v's @ 4,000rpm on all three wires and that's okay according to the shop manual.
I appreciate the suggestions...........anymore?

Gunner, thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on it before I figure this thing out.
Dan

Ignore this member   
Otis

Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
posted June 27, 2006 08:17 PM        
Dan this exact thing happened to my 00' 12 back in 2002.

The stator burned up. Check it.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted June 28, 2006 02:43 AM        
There are 2 relays that may also be bad! Dan Of course I have a complete assebbly with relays that I would send you if you want!

Hill

Ignore this member   
Bush

Parking Attendant
posted June 28, 2006 07:31 AM        
Dan,
Sounds like you are building a case to justify moving up to a new 14. LOL
Just joking - hope you find the problem soon. Hope to be in your area in a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Ignore this member    Click here to send Bush an AIM message. 
ninja12

Needs a job
posted June 28, 2006 07:52 AM        
Can't explain it but last headlight problem ended with a new fuse box.
  Ignore this member   
Wideout

Expert Class
posted June 28, 2006 10:16 AM        
My guess -

The stator connector burned up and caused the headlight relay in your junction box to fry. There are ways of testing this, but involves looking at the wiring schematic in a shop manual.

I've heard of one guy on the other board actually repairing his junction box rather than replacing. I burned up two of them before Kawasaki replaced it along with my stator wire and regulator.

This is assuming...as you've mentioned, you checked both headlight fuses.

Check your stator connector first as Blitz mentioned, and see if there is oil in it.

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted June 28, 2006 12:02 PM        
As mentioned above, I have swapped the j-box, checked the three headlight relays and both headlight fuses. After Vince's call today I hooked a spare battery to my headlight connector and they work fine.
My alternator put out good voltage on all three legs so the stator is good, voltage was 35v at idle and 115v at 4k rpm.
I still got faith in you guys. I'm in the process now of running out the wiring but whew!!!!
Thanks again for the input,
Dan

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted June 28, 2006 12:36 PM        
what about a bad ignition switch. ihave'nt looked in my service manuel yet but there is most likely a set of contacts and a circuit that runs thru it.....
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
Wideout

Expert Class
posted June 28, 2006 09:14 PM        
woops, missed that. Did you check for oil in your stator connector anyway?

If you're running out the wiring in a schematic, try bypassing the headlight relay in the junction box by directly connecting a wire using the proper poles coming out of the junction box. Hope ya' didn't burn up two.

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted June 28, 2006 11:59 PM        
This is painful!

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted June 29, 2006 12:09 AM        
My offer still stands Dan. I'll ride my 12 over and we'll swap shit till we find it. Say the word and it's done.
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted June 29, 2006 01:29 AM        
quote:
My offer still stands Dan. I'll ride my 12 over and we'll swap shit till we find it. Say the word and it's done.

Good Man Gunner! Dan is one of my Hero's and when he has a problem, it is a PROBLEM! When he got the headlight to work with the relay hooked up, that did it for me because I was sending him this. He has also changed the Fuse Box which has another Relay. SO it much be in the wiring and most likely a broken burned out wire!

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted June 29, 2006 02:28 AM        Edited By: GUNNER on 29 Jun 2006 10:30
Shoot I know how hard it is to find these type deals without having known good part to swap out. NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE!
  Ignore this member   
entropy

posted June 29, 2006 02:59 AM        Edited By: entropy on 29 Jun 2006 11:00
Dan,
that junction/fuse box is a bugger. I'd see if the junction box had pwr in, then OK.

Then jump the headlight out wire of the junction box straight from the pwr in wire (cut the relays out of the equation). Matt had this same problem and it was the junction box.

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted June 29, 2006 07:49 AM        
Thanks guys.....
My Dads been in the hospital in Chattanooga, two hours away and I've been back and forth a dozen times so I haven't had much time for trouble shooting.
I do have power to the 10a headlight fuse in the j-box, I checked that early on but I will keep looking as time allows.
I sincerley do apppreciate everyones time and trouble and thanks again Gunner for the offer, I'll keep ya posted.
Dan

Ignore this member   
Wideout

Expert Class
posted June 29, 2006 09:10 AM        
Family comes first. Good luck with your Dad.
  Ignore this member   
Otis

Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
posted June 29, 2006 09:25 PM        
Hope your dad's OK Dan.

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted June 29, 2006 10:09 PM        
Thanks for the concern guys.
With Mom passing away a while back and them being married 58 years, it's been tough on Pops. He fell a few months ago and ruptured a disc and it's been getting gradually worse, now combine that with kidney stones that he cannot pass ( one is 3/4"x1/2") and it gets tough on an 86 year old man.
He's taking epidurals for his back and they are blasting his stones but he's doing better after 8 days in the hospital. They may schedule back surgery in a few weeks if he can't get some relief.
His motto is "Growing old ain't for sissies".
Thanks again,
Dan

Ignore this member   
lizard

Pro
Modulator
posted June 29, 2006 10:47 PM        
I remember my headlight would cut out on my 04 ZX-10 . I neved could pin point the problem. I mentioned it to the dudes at the Kawi shop when they did the front wheel recall. They thought I was smokin' the crack.
  Ignore this member   
12r1

Expert Class
posted June 30, 2006 12:18 AM        
I've got a fusebox, and prob some other relays etc. also, if you need to try 'em.

jeff

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: The dreaded headlight problem....... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.43021607398987 seconds processing time