HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Front Brake Rotors NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
magzx12r

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2002 11:06 AM        
Front Brake Rotors

I think my front brake rotors are warped because I am getting a vibration from the front when braking. It is not the tire because I just replaced my cupped front tire. I have been running the EBC HH's for a while, but the vibration just started recently. I am thinking about the EBC Pro-Lite rotors. Where can I get these for the ZX-12R at a good price? Do any of you have suggestions for other front brake rotors?

Ignore this member   
kawachan

Pro
posted April 21, 2002 11:35 AM        
Put your bike on stands and spin the front tire. It might help to hold an object real close to see if it contacts the rotor at any particular spot. Better than just buying a rotor for trial and error. Also, make sure you have the front wheel installed correctly since you just replaced your front tire. Check pad installation, too.

Ignore this member   
magzx12r

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2002 11:53 AM        
My front wheel had some drag before I switched tires. I put the front on a stand yesterday and the wheel drags all the way around, but drags hard in one spot. I cleaned the rotors with some brake cleaner and it decreased the drag, but it still drags kind of hard in that one spot. I am going to get some dial indicators and see where the warpage is. I will try to loosen the rotor bolts and retighten them to see if I can straighten out the rotor. If nothing works, I will replace the rotors, but don't want to go back with stock.

Ignore this member   
zx11_12

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2002 06:39 PM        
Check your calipers while you are at it. I had a very similar problem on my old ZX-11. I bought factory rotors only to have one warp again almost immediately. Then I bought EBC Pro-lite rotors (cheaper than original and better stopping power too). While I had the calipers off this time, I checked them out and found that the left one had a piston sticking causing it to drag and warp the rotors from the heat generated. I bought new o-rings and rebuilt the calipers myself. No more trouble. It's cheap insurance when you consider the cost of new rotors.

Steve

Ignore this member    Click here to visit ZX11_12's homepage. Click here to send ZX11_12 an AIM message. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted April 21, 2002 07:10 PM        
i'm actually noticing the same thing while riding today. rather disconcerting... i was thinking warped rotors too, but really dont have enough experience or knowledge to make anything but a guess. i hope its not warped rotors, cause i dont really wanna pay for new ones.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
kawachan

Pro
posted April 21, 2002 07:36 PM        
I remember some of the guys talking about getting the front wheel spacers aligned properly. Maybe you can check that too.... Rotors are high!

Ignore this member   
ZXtra

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2002 10:28 PM        
After any front wheel work always go for a short (3 minute) ride (without using the brakes hard), stop, then feel each front rotor to see if there is any undue heat build up in either rotor. This will tell you if the front forks are spaced correctly. Too much heat can warp a rotor and cost you some speed. -ZXtra

Ignore this member   
12RPilot

Pro
posted April 22, 2002 05:38 AM        
My buddy checked his brakes that way. Went for a short two block ride, felt the rotors amd burnt the living piss out of his fingers. Yep, the pads were dragging.
NESBA #209

http://www.bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/04zx10r/

Ignore this member    Click here to send 12RPilot an ICQ message. Click here to add 1781480 to your ICQ list. 
horsepower

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2002 06:04 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 22 Apr 2002 08:36
Magzx12r: Mike here from Horsepower Unlimited. I sell a lot of the EBC rotors. You have several options. You can reach me at xxxxxxx. Mike.
  Ignore this member   
swft

Full throttle!
posted April 22, 2002 08:22 AM        
Mike, can you get the GFA188HH pads? These are the kit racing pads.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration , Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids... "
-Base Commander Ripper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc9y5ayeeb4

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 22, 2002 08:36 AM        
Hey Mike.. .how bout buying some ad space from us?

I suggest people here try calling SpencerCycle (see banner ad) as they sell that stuff as well, and SUPPORT this site.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
magzx12r

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2002 09:33 AM        
Spencer Cycle does not sell these rotors.

Ignore this member   
Eric00zx12r

Novice Class
posted April 22, 2002 01:31 PM        
If the bike is still under warranty...take it to the stealer and have them call Kawasaki and get you a new rotor under warranty.

Mine would shimmy if I braked hard from anything above about 40 mph. Below 40 mph, I didn't really notice it.

I'd been fighting with my stealer for about a year trying to get them to check the front rotors. Each time they told me it was fine. I bought a dial indicator and checked them myself. The left rotor had about .030 warpage to it. I took it back to dealer and told them about it. Then they checked it (what I had been asking them to do since day one) and they said "Yep, it's warped". They called Kawasaki and Kawasaki said to replace it. New rotor and it brakes like a new bike !!!

I know it's a pain, but at almost $300 for one rotor, it's worth checking into.

Ignore this member   
magzx12r

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2002 02:05 PM        
Thanks for the tip Eric. My bike has the extended warranty, but I didn't think about the rotors being covered. I will check with the dealer to see what's up.

Ignore this member   
magzx12r

Expert Class
posted April 23, 2002 12:40 PM        
I talked to the dealer and to Kawasaki today, and no luck with replacing the rotors under warranty. So I will buy some aftermarket rotors. Any one have experience with the Wave Rotors? I am also looking at the EBC Pro-Lite Race rotors.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted April 23, 2002 03:06 PM        
rotor warp testing

Though my lengthy rotor report didn't make the transfer over to the new site, I do have a "condensed version" with pics of how I attached a AutoZone dial indicator to my fork leg. If your interested, e-mail me at adcraft@cei.net

Ignore this member   
KawRider

Expert Class
posted April 24, 2002 02:36 AM        
Rotors/Advertising

Make sure you cut Horsepower a good deal if he does advert here... he is a REALLY SMALL (1 person) buisiness. He is the best!

Tim
Black ZX-14

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Front Brake Rotors NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.751283168793 seconds processing time