HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
tuusinii

Pro
posted May 22, 2011 02:45 PM        
Hello!

Got it working (I think - didn't test with actually riding). Problem was that LM-2 inputs are differential and need connection to ground. So ended up connecting the other wire to injector negative and other to ground. Sometimes it pays to read the instructions...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted May 23, 2011 02:38 PM        
Back in business!

Yesterday got to do some riding with LM-2 hooked up and everything seems to work OK. Also confirmed that the ECU flash with new 12000RPM limit worked First notions by looking the AFR while driving and also when looking the logged data is that when just cruising below speeds 100 kph (60MPH) fuel ratio seems quite ok, maybe a little bit lean (14.5 - 15.0). When accelerating little (ECU calculating the fuel from MAP sensor its quite a bit lean (15.0 - 16.5) and when accelerating harder it's very rich in the bottom (11.0-12.0). But when cruising over 100kph (60 MPH) and RPM:s go to 4000-5000 region the AFR is very rich (<12.0) and that is the same region where ZX12 is known to vibrate and after looking the data it's not a wonder... Next more driving and starting to tweak the maps...

Redrocket: was it so that when thorttle is all closed the TPS % is about 20% (~1V from 5V = 20*%) or was the enquity definition file updated in some time to make it look that closed throttle is 0%?

Also to everyone with some datalogging on their ZX: is it so that Your tacho shows a little bit more in the idle, about right in 3000RPM and about 500-600 over in the redline?

Here is the couple of pictures how I connected the LM-2 to TPM and MAP:

MAP:

TPS:

RPM(injector):

Overall:

2000redrocket

Pro
posted May 23, 2011 06:55 PM        
my old deffinitions are 20% at idle and 90something at full throttle.
i also noticed the real rich afr above 4000 rpms.
to fix the real rich at 2000 to 2600 i had to take fuel out of the density and A-N map there.

Ignore this member   
RidgeRacer

Pro
posted May 23, 2011 09:57 PM        
If I were to do these definitions again I would have shown the throttle position in voltage. While the % is more user friendly to a novice, voltage is the only really practical way for a tuner to record the throttle position and translate it to a fuel map ordinate.

Also you probably already know this but for those who don't...

There is no Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor in this system. There is an Inlet Air Pressure (IAP) sensor which measure the air pressure in the throttle bodies and there is a Static Air Pressure (SAP) sensor that measures the barometric pressure the bike operates in which changes with altitude and weather conditions.

The MAP value used by the fuel maps is a calculated value.

MAP = SAP - IAP

I just want to make sure there is no confusion here. On the Alpha-N map which uses TPS x RPM if the AFR is off at 4000 rpm and a TPS voltage of 2.5V then you can find 2.5V column on the fuel maps TPS axis and slide down to the 4000 rpm row of the RPM axis to find the fuel map cell to adjust.

On the Speed Density map however if you find the AFR is off at 4000 rpm and an IAP voltage of 3.00V then unlike the Alpha-N map you can not just slide over to the 3.00V MAP axis column. Instead you would take the IAP 3.00V and subtract it from the SAP 3.63V and look up the resulting 0.63V on the MAP axis of the Speed Density fuel map.

To do this you will have to add a log channel for the SAP or make sure that every session you log several seconds of the IAP with the engine not running. With the engine off IAP=SAP. Unless you are tuning in Denver or Death Valley you can just assume an SAP of 3.63 volts which is what the SAP reads at sea level on a standard day.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit RidgeRacer's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted May 24, 2011 02:43 AM        
Hello!

Yes good points RR. And yes I known its IAP and also I need the SAP signal. I'm planning on adding it also as I still have 2 free AI-channels on LM-2. And yes it would be easier to to look if it were straight volts in the X-column but thankfully Logworks software lets me use scaling and even look-up tables for volts conversions. Still have a lot to test...

tuusinii

Pro
posted May 24, 2011 02:48 AM        
And by the way do You happen to remember what voltage corresponds 100% Is it full 5V or something smaller. As the actual value dosen't go all the way to 5V.
RidgeRacer

Pro
posted May 24, 2011 03:37 AM        
bin %TPS Volts
14080 0.0 1.074
14336 0.6 1.094
14592 1.1 1.113
14848 1.7 1.133
15104 2.3 1.152
15360 2.8 1.172
16384 5.1 1.250
17408 7.3 1.328
18432 9.6 1.406
20480 14.1 1.563
22528 18.6 1.719
24576 23.2 1.875
26624 27.7 2.031
30720 36.7 2.344
34816 45.8 2.656
38912 54.8 2.969
43008 63.8 3.281
47104 72.9 3.594
51200 81.9 3.906
59392 100.0 4.531

tuusinii

Pro
posted May 24, 2011 03:45 AM        
Thanks. Maybe I'll update the definitions when I have some extra time...
2000redrocket

Pro
posted May 24, 2011 06:28 AM        
hey ridge it has been a while. how have you been?
i guess i am saying it wrong saying map sensor.most do not know the difference.
just it has been my expearience that my wego seems to be killing the iap sensor after
a while.
on the density map tuning it worked ok using a vacume guage dampened down a lot
and it got you real close. just remember as you lean out a spot you actually found you will pick up more vacume as it leans out and makes more power.
ridge my sap runs around 3.7xvdc at my place at 430ft. never above 3.75vdc i think.

Ignore this member   
tomari

Parking Attendant
posted May 29, 2011 07:34 AM        
@RR
Hello from Greece my friend. im trying to do some tricks with the ZX6R 07-08 ecu and i search on the net and your name allways come first! i read on this page: http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=23797&pagenumber=21 you cracked the diagnosis connector communication protocol and i need some info. First, do i need a TTL -> rs232 converter to "talk" to the ECU or just rs232? i dont realy want to change anything (for now ) but i want to store available info and later proces it and combine it with Racechrono. for start, lets say that i want to display on my pc the RPMs live while the bike works, how could i aproach it? just give me a base!

an other thing i want to tell you is that a friend from kawasaki gonna borrow me a spare diagnostic device he has along with a copy of the Kawasaki Diagnosis System 3 software so i can sniff the bike <-> pc communication. Are you interested on working with this together? im going to provide this stuff for free to the world, this thing is going to work on other kawasaki bikes too with little to no modification.

My goal is to make a small device that sends all the info through bluetooth to racechrono installed pda and use it like a complete data acquisition module.
i want to share the coplete project with everyone for free.

Any help appreciated
Tom

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 06, 2011 03:11 AM        
Redrocket: do You have experience on how big TPS openings will usually go to the tps map? Is the richiness in 4000-5000RPM all in speed-density or is the ECU allready in alpha-n mode?
2000redrocket

Pro
posted June 06, 2011 06:27 AM        
from what i remember i leaned out the density if i was just driving around like highway.
from what i remember ridge saying it will mix the two at some point.
i know the over rich 2000 to 2600 was density and i took out fuel in the a-n map to kill the hesitation people do the pilot jet mod to mask.around the same place rpm wise.
i use to make a real big change (rich of couarse to be safe) in one colum to try and pin point a colum and voltage.
remember when density tuning everything shifts as you lean it out and make it run better with less throttle opening cause the vacume will increase for the same speed.
i actually had great luck pinpointing a vacume colum the way the old deffs are on my program with a vacume guage on the tank. the wego says it is lean or rich at whatever and look at the guage and remember the vacume.then hit the kill switch to mark the spot.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 07, 2011 02:36 PM        
RR: Did You use the chart in the service manual for the IAP-sensor? What I mean is that how did You calculated the mmHg values from volts? Only chart I could find was that but it's a little bit hard to read. Do do You have the formula somewhere for SAP-IAP = X.XX Volts to mmHg? Just so that I interpret the values right without too much trial and error.
RidgeRacer

Pro
posted June 07, 2011 10:26 PM        Edited By: RidgeRacer on 8 Jun 2011 13:28
The zx12 was the first ecu definitions I wrote so I used units like TPS% and cmHg because they where human friendly. For a tuner data logging sensor voltage however they are not very friendly. Were I to do it again I would present them all as voltage. Actually in the map editor I wrote for myself you have the option of displaying axis as volts, percent, or formula view.

It doesn't really matter what the units are as long as you can reference them in the maps. If you want to change your definition to volts for MAP open the xml in a text editor like notepad++ (freeware) and do a global find and replace of the following:

FIND:
units="cm Hg" expression="((((47405-x)*.0000152587890625*5)-.6)*25)-74.4" to_byte="47405-(((((x+74.4)/25)+.6)/5))*65536" format="0.0"

REPLACE WITH
units="Volts" expression="x*0.0000762939453125" to_byte="x/0.0000762939453125" format="#.##"

To answer your original question, yes I used the IAP table in the manual and the conversion factor is a simple slope intercept

cmHg = (Volts -0.6) * 25

tuusinii

Pro
posted June 08, 2011 02:42 AM        
Thanks that helps a lot. I noticed that formula, but because of the bit derived gains it looked quite fuzzy. No with the formula it's much more clear...
2000redrocket

Pro
posted June 08, 2011 07:39 AM        
at first i had a cmhg guage on my bike. i would ride it and mark the places by killing the engine for the flat line.
i then knew where it idled at and i set my wego chart for the scaling of the ambient out side pressure at the higher volts and the 10cmhg volts reading on the low side than counted backwards of the line. it got me to the area. i usually asdjusted more than one colum (usually 3 when changing a area) than you see the change and after a while you get a feel where the next tweek should be like it goes way rich when in a down hill situation or goes a tad lean when dumping some vacume pulling throttle on a up hill area.
i will try and post a picture if i can dig one up with the inlet pressureshowing my scale factor.
i know it was not accurat but i was able to use it.
you could also hook a vacume pump to the iap sensor and mark the voltages and vacume to it and scale it that way. that vacume guage had me impressed i found the colums i needed.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 29, 2011 09:52 PM        
Now got enough data to make the first adjustments. Just to check: wasn't it so that the A-map is the default and so it's enough to change the values in the A-maps?

RidgeRacer

Pro
posted June 29, 2011 11:18 PM        
The Alpha-n maps are used above about 10% Throttle so under any kind of acceleration they are used. The speed density maps are used when your just putting around town at 35 mph

2000redrocket

Pro
posted June 30, 2011 05:53 AM        
i think b map is defult cause i am tweeking the a map with the two wires twisted together.

on my 2000 i am adjusting density at steady riding up twards 70mph.

Ignore this member   
RidgeRacer

Pro
posted June 30, 2011 06:50 AM        
My bad....I saw A map and thought Alpha-n. I forgot we called map A/B on the zx12.

On the all the other bikes I call it MS0/MS1

tuusinii

Pro
posted June 30, 2011 02:30 PM        
Thanks. I also remembered it beeing B-map, but when scrolling down this thread where it was first mentioned it was said A is default. But I remember it being said somewhere later that it's in fact the B-map that bike normally rides. I was also thinking of shorting the 2 wires so I could get to the basic map if something weird happens. Were there wires in the connector for the two pins that have to be sorted or how did You actually connect the two wires?
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 30, 2011 02:38 PM        
Yes now found it:
"
Today I verified the A/B map feature works.

I flashed a zero map into the cylinder 1, A fuel map of a 21175-1065 ECU. This is a UK A1 model. I hooked it up to my bike emulator that allows me to bench run the ECUs. Without the jumper the ECU ran normally. I turned off the 'key' shorted the jumper to ground, turned on the 'bike' and ran it again. This time cylinder 1 injector ran dark (the emulator uses 12v bulbs instead of injectors)

The jumper wire is connected to ECU pin 64 on A1 models and pin 34 on A2/B1/B2 models. On both types the pin is connected to the white wire with black stripe of the 8 pin diagnostic (YoshBox) connector located in the bikes tail under the seat. This same connector also has a ground wire, Brown w/ Black stripe, that you could use to jump to.

Actually the shop manual shows that these wires are jumpered with a shorting plug installed on the diagnostic connector on some non-US models. If you could order the part with the jumper wire you would be able to wire in a switch with out hacking up your wire harness. So far every ECU I've looked at the A maps and B maps have exactly the same data. However every ECU I've looked at also is in the manual as not needing a jumper.

White w/ Black stripe wire open selects B Maps (normal operation)
White w/ Black stripe wire grounded selects A Maps

The Maps select jumper setting is only read when key is first turned on. Maps can NOT be switched on the fly while the bike is running.

While I have only physically verified this on an A1 model ECU I have seen the exact same, line for line, map select routine in each version of software. And am assuming it works on all versions."

2000redrocket

Pro
posted June 30, 2011 11:06 PM        
i bought a new blank plug from kawasaki and used a 1998 honda accord wireing harness for the engine bay to donate the wires. and i stuffed them in the plug with a wirenut holding them together. if i want b map i unplug it. beware sometimes it will not switch if you do it quick. i usually unplug the harness from the bikes ecu for a couple of seconds to have the ecu dead.
  Ignore this member   
herbg26

Expert Class
posted August 20, 2011 07:16 AM        
Getting a BDM programmer error

Okay guys I need some help..

I'm trying to start tuning my ecu, I'm running into an issue with the bdm software, I keep getting the below message see pix...I have re-installed it, and still the same thing.

Anybody no what can be the issue? Thanks in advanced

Herb

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted August 21, 2011 02:52 AM        
Do You have .NET 3.0 installed? Also there was some file for future USB-update that was neccesary - at least in some stage but I can check the file name. But the .NET is neccesary.
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 39 pages long: 1  -  <10  -  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  -  39   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.51061391830444 seconds processing time