HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 12:22 PM        
I think the above posts shows some of the advantages of hacking the stock ECU as oppossed to using a Power Commander. I've never used a PCIII, It doesn't use the gear position wires does it?

If you put an aftemarket pipe on your bike and it backfires when you chop throttle in higer gears you may be able to adjust it out using the PCIII, but are you hurting your performance in the lower gears by doing it?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit RidgeRacer's homepage. 
pdb1964

Zone Head
posted May 22, 2006 12:29 PM        
Thats what I was curious about. I have a PCIIIr and it seems kind of futile to make mixture and ignition changes when the ECU is doing it's own thing relative to gear selection. Unless the changes made by the ECU with respect to the gear selector would be required even with the PC installed.
  Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted May 22, 2006 02:26 PM        
Hey Ridge, I will get to work on the connectors tomorrow...
Mad Mike

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
wannabe

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:02 PM        
Don't mind me. Just subscribing to this thread.
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted May 22, 2006 04:02 PM        
Ridge,
EXCELLENT!
You are THE MAN!

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted May 22, 2006 08:10 PM        
Damn RR, I wish i could contribute to this some how. But i dont know anything about microproccessors or programing, or pulling code, or writing a windows interface, or any of that stuff on your list.

Maybe when you get to "the varriables we'd like to be able to manipulate" department I can help?
Its looking good so far. Hopefully you can get that far.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
psycho1122

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 11:29 PM        
Good Stuff!!

Keep up the good work!

Ignore this member   
supra5677

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 11:49 PM        
If we could get to when the injector opens, how long or short, ignition timing at all rpms, and rev limit.... this could get to be real good...
  Ignore this member     
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 23, 2006 12:10 AM        
we need to be doing this for the ZX-14 as well!

... addtitional sidenote is that KHI offers a programmable ECU for the ZX-10R... wonder what the difference is...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
zxlnt

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted May 23, 2006 01:04 AM        
Over 1200 bucks for the ECU and the 2 required wiring harnesses
  Ignore this member   
supra5677

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 01:54 AM        
they also make one for the zx6r.. this is essentially the same thing RR is trying to do for us..
  Ignore this member     
deathpulse

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 02:47 AM        
Wow Ridge - I wish I could help too. I'm a computer guy but not a "real time" guy . If you need a hand with other stuff, put the word out - eventually maybe I can be of assistance. I have an A1 shop manual if that will help - I can send over pix of pin nouts etc if you need em. Just ask. BTW - months away from ECU programming is a SHORT timeframe - hell I've had the 'ol green Mantis (my GF's name for my '00 '12) for almost 6 years - whats a few extra months? KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

hmm.. maybe we should get a pool going for Ridge and his wifey to go out to a nice dinner or something? She seems like she's being a trooper for being patient while Ridge the man works his magic. Wonder if that would help... Ridge - any place you guys like to eat?

Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 06:47 AM        Edited By: ridgeracer on 23 May 2006 13:52
Thanks for the offer deathpulse but that won't be necessary...besides I have other magic that keeps her happy.

Thanks also for the pinout offer but I have an A1, A2 manual already.

On the Kit ECUs are there any pictures of the wire harness or the box? (btw it looks like power commanders days are numbered)

On doing this for the ZX-14 remember that step one is to crack open and destroy at least one ECU. If the ZX-12 hack is successful then maybe people will feel more confident about donating a zx-14 ecu. What I would like to see first though is someone who had access to all the 2006 manuals to copy the ecu pinouts and terminal descriptions of the 6,10,12,and 14 ecus and compare them. I have a sneaking suspicion they are all the same box with different software. Crack one and you would have them all cracked.

five 0

Expert Class
posted May 23, 2006 08:02 AM        
I also have some gear sensors if that will help you guys???

5-0

Ignore this member   
deathpulse

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 08:20 AM        
This might be the coolest hack of the year. Hey somebody... make this a sticky...!
  Ignore this member   
Wideout

Expert Class
posted May 23, 2006 08:43 AM        
I manage a group of programmers proficient in various languages. Also, I have experience uploading, downloading and modifying code via various systems. If you need help, say the word.
  Ignore this member   
zxlnt

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted May 23, 2006 09:31 AM        
Kit ECU and wiring harness

Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 10:20 AM        
Of course the disk is covering all the good parts. The top photo looks like what we will end up with. A DB9 232 connector to a level converter box (max232?) to an ECU PLUG.

So those of you with a ZX-6 or -10, does that look like your regular ECU box?

GUNNER

Needs a life
posted May 23, 2006 10:34 AM        
Yes
  Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted May 23, 2006 10:39 AM        
Just like a bikini...

Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 10:45 AM        
Wideout, thanks for the info I'll keep you in mind.

Do you have any experience with the Motorola BDM background debugging mode? It looks like a basic SPI interface; data in, data out, clock. With it I can read out the code. Some PC 232 to BDM interface software would be nice. I can kludge together a hardware interface.

I'm trying to decide how to procede. The flash is programmable via on board software. The chip has two serial ports and two spi ports. I could trace those out to see if they go to the main connectors but even I identify the hardware path for programming that won't tell me what the software handshaking, baud etc. is. I think the way to go is to try to copy the code via the BDM port and then disassemble it to figure out how to externally program it. Problem is I don't think the ECU i have now is functional. I messed up the power supply, broke off some caps and the crystal. I can try to get it going just enough to try the BDM on it.

I do have a second intact ECU but its an A1 model. Different external plugs I'm thinking I could just cut into it just enough to expose the BDM port. Assuming the pinout on the A1 is the same, assuming that the BDM is in the same physical location on the A1 as the B1. Also this ecu has a big ? on the case. Does it even work?

Five-O, any info on the older ECU.

So I guess the plan of attack is.

On the naked ecu, Isolate the power supply circuit, provide external 5 Volts, replace the crystal, power it up and see if I can get any sign of life out of it.

Then solder in a BDM plug, build a BDM to PC interface circuit, Try to read the code out of it.

If that fails try to expose just the BDM port on the other ECU, try the BDM port on that one.

If that fails use the naked ECU to trace all the comm ports out and see if any of them are externalized. Build an interface and spend the rest of my life trying to guess what the Kawi/Denso command for gimme all you got is.

blueford

Needs a job
posted May 23, 2006 11:53 AM        
And why are we doing this? Let me guess we want to put PC3R out of business! Yes?
  Ignore this member   
Ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted May 23, 2006 11:56 AM        
quote:
Build an interface and spend the rest of my life trying to guess what the Kawi/Denso command for gimme all you got is.

I dont know about the Kawi/Denso commmand, but I do know that Exxon/Mobil has figured out a command for gimme all you got!

Ignore this member   
mlb

Novice Class
posted May 23, 2006 02:03 PM        
If I understand all this correct you've got two ECU's but don't know if either one of them works, is that correct? If so obviously play with them all you can to get comfortable with them but when it comes to needing a known 100% good ECU let me know. I can probably donate one for the cause if needed. It would be from a 2K bike BTW.
  Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 11:55 PM        
That is correct. And thanks for the offer. Of the two I have one was obviously in a wreck. The entire case was cracked and smashed. The potting was the only thing holding together. The other has one small crack and someone painted a question mark on it.

Of course my definition of working is different from someone who would want to use it on a bike. I only need the cpu to function. If it has a bad injector channel or the fuel pump won't turn on I really don't care.

But once I pull the code out of one of these and learn how it works I will need a known good ecu eventually to test. So thanks again.

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 39 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  -  10>  -  39   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.44178915023804 seconds processing time