HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted May 21, 2006 10:16 AM        
This is most impressive RR and if it should hit a wall you have gone way farther on the ECU than anybody I know.

I am 99.99999% sure the mileage is stored on the board of the gauge cluster.

Actually make that 99.999999999999999.

Ignore this member   
supra5677

Pro
posted May 21, 2006 10:40 AM        
Wow this guy is good.. Hopefully he can see this all the way through
  Ignore this member     
Ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted May 21, 2006 10:42 AM        
Like Tuusinii said. I ahd the high alltitude ecu installed on my bike also, and the mileage did not reset.
  Ignore this member   
five 0

Expert Class
posted May 21, 2006 12:06 PM        
I am glad the ECU's are going for a good cause.

5-0

Ignore this member   
zxlnt

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted May 21, 2006 12:47 PM        
The mileage is definately in the cluster because RAC4IT hooked a frequency generator to it and maxed out the odometer...
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 21, 2006 04:18 PM        
quote:
Wow this guy is good.. Hopefully he can see this all the way through

you know who he is, don't you?

You can thank him for removing the speedlimiter on all of these bikes. He's the one who cracked it way back in 01. (I believe)... If anyone can do it... he';s the guy.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted May 21, 2006 06:31 PM        
hey RR, i'm sure i don't ahve to tell you great work!
it's been a long time since i worked on that type of project, but i could probably jog the old memory regarding a project using an MC68HC11 (i think) that probably works similarly, so if there is anything i may be able to help with, please let me know.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
lubricity

Expert Class
posted May 21, 2006 08:06 PM        
if you need any help, might be able to get some. We hack the GM ones regularly. I never could get any 12 ones for free back in 2000.
Rich

Ignore this member    Click here to visit lubricity's homepage. 
supra5677

Pro
posted May 21, 2006 11:48 PM        
if you need any hardware supplies let me know.. might be able to help
  Ignore this member     
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 22, 2006 02:42 AM        
if you need moral support or want to piss off someone on the internet, call me.. .might be able to help...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
deathpulse

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:09 AM        
Hey Ridge - do the ECU's have some kind of pre-boxed output/programming interface? I'm wondering how one actually downloads and uploads changes to the ECU once an interface (I'm assuming RS-232?) is established?
  Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:11 AM        
More good news. CPU pin 70 VFPE2 is connected to one of the 'unused' pins, number 29 of the main external connectors.!!!

The cpu runs at 5V. In order to put the on chip Flash into a programmable mode the chip requires 12V be applied to two special pins VFPE2 and VFPE1 (Voltage, Flash, Program, Enable) The fact that they are externalized to the main connectors is very strong evidence that the ecu can be reprogrammed.

Also the fact that the silk screen next to the connector pin reads VFP validates, in my mind that the CPU identification and the purpose of the 'unused' pin.

On the downside this means you will not be able to program the ECU on the bike via the diagnostic plug as I had hoped. The ecu will have to be unplugged from the wiring harness to be reprogrammed.

Has anyone ever tracked down a source for ECU wire harness plugs? Because these pins are 'unused' there are no wires connected to them on the bike plugs that you could use to tap in a programming plug.

Ok, I really need to put this down now and do some real paying work. My wife is begining to feel like the wife in Brokeopen ECU Mountain; "I can't quit you ECU" :P

BTW I could still use a copy of the ECU pinout for a 2002 model. I'm using the pinout of an A2 ECU.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit RidgeRacer's homepage. 
madmike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted May 22, 2006 03:16 AM        
the ECU connectors are from S&H... I have been working for sometime(on and off) to get some samples. not very hard now. But if you need a set I will put the sample search back in full gear and see if one of my vendors can get me a few....
Mad Mike

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
supra5677

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:20 AM        
where do you get a copy of the 02 zx12r pinout? Dealer shop manual for 2002?
  Ignore this member     
zxlnt

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted May 22, 2006 03:36 AM        
Mike might try K@L supply as well for connectors. I know you can get "some" of the oem style connectors from them. Might be worth a call and see if they can source others...
  Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:38 AM        
Most Motorola MCUs have boot code in them that allows you to read/write/erase memory from a standard 9600 baud serial port. The signals are 5v so you will need a simple 232 to TTL converter chip. I haven't had time to read through the manual on the chip yet for the details

The plan is to be able to pulg it into any PC/Laptop via an inexpensive 232 to TTL converter box.

These are just the first baby steps. There is a long road ahead. All I am doing now is verifying that it is physically possible to reprogram the ecu.

We still need to:

Figure out how to read the memory of the CPU
Build an interface
Read out the code.
Disassemble the code, figure out where the map is and how it works.
Obtain a working ecu
build a bike emulator, an electronic psuedo bike to plug the ecu into to make it think its on a bike so we can experiment with the code
write User friendly PC software to interface with the ECU
Find a volunteer willing to street or dyno test modified code on a real zx-12r
Develop and document a simple build it yourself hardware interface.

We're months away from members programming their ECUs.

ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:45 AM        
Kawasaki shop manual that covers 2002 bike. Maybe one of you with a dealer friend can get a copy off their cd.

I'm looking for a diagram of which pins have which numbers that reads Terminal Numbers of ECU connectors (B1Model) and a table that says Terminal Names and has a list like

1 - Stick Coil #1 output Signal
2 - Stick Coil #2 output Signal

etc etc.

Its in chapter 2 DFI in my A2 manual

ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 03:52 AM        
Supra just gave a cool idea. If we can find both the male and female ends of the plugs we could make a short ECU extension cord with a programming plug in the middle.

MadMike, if you could get a sample of the Female plugs that would be really helpful. Or even a part number and a weblink where to buy them.

pdb1964

Zone Head
posted May 22, 2006 07:08 AM        
I didn't think I had it with me but I do. I have the 2002 shop manual with the DFI diagram. I will see if I can get the appropriate pages scanned and then e-mail them to you.
  Ignore this member   
pdb1964

Zone Head
posted May 22, 2006 07:14 AM        
Actaully, before I do start the scans, what pages do you need?

Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 07:27 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 3 Dec 2006 18:34
They look like this, only I need the ones for a B1 Model

ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 07:50 AM        
Actually I just need to know if the A2 and the B1 are the same. If you look at these pages and see that they are exactly the same don't bother sending them, just let me know.
rac4it

Needs a job
Bergie
posted May 22, 2006 09:28 AM        
100% the mileage is stored in the cluster. I've done it.

It will NOT reset at 199,999 miles either, it simply stops at 199,999. It does not reset to zero. Again, been there, tested that, on the bench. I have photos. Do a thread search, this info was posted last year when I did it.

Ignore this member   
pdb1964

Zone Head
posted May 22, 2006 10:17 AM        
I checked and the A2 and the B1 have the same terminal layout. I have a question. what do the gear position position signal do to the engine?
  Ignore this member   
ridgeracer

Pro
posted May 22, 2006 11:56 AM        Edited By: ridgeracer on 22 May 2006 19:09
Thanks for verifying that for me.

As for the gear position question. The short answer is it effects your mixture.

If you look in the service manual DFI Problem chart matrix of things to check for a given problem you find some interesting items under gear posistion.

Problem: Afterfire (not backfire) Descirbed as an explosion of gasses accumulated in a muffler caused by incomplete combustion in the cylinder head, wrong plug gap, burned electrode, or richer air fuel mixture; also caused by delayed ignition timing during starting and decelerating

Check;
1 Camshaft sensor
2 gear position switch
3 Inlet air sensor
4 Water Temp sensor

Problem: Backfire...lean mixture....incomplete combustion....

Check
1 Fuel Pump
2 Fuel Pressure
3 Camshaft sensor
4 Throttle Sensor
5 Gear position Switch

Problem: Stumble; when the bike is about to accelerate the engine speed cannot increase in responce to throttle opening, increases with a lag.

Check
1 Injectors
2. Fuel Pressure
3 Throttle sensor
4. Gear position switch

Its also item 6 in Hesitation, and 9th in Poor Acceleration.

It obviously does something but what exactly I won't know till I get the code hacked

I think it has to do with the pistons acceleration (not speed) The time needed for the engine to accelerate from say 5000 rpm to 6000 rpm in first gear is substantially different than it is in 6th. Same goes for deacceleration.

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 39 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  -  10>  -  39   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Hacking the Planet one ZX-12 ECU at a time. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.37957501411438 seconds processing time