HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Anyone ever run Bonneville? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
wannabe

Pro
posted April 18, 2006 05:07 PM        Edited By: wannabe on 18 Apr 2006 17:14
Anyone ever run Bonneville?

OK, kids. It's been a while. I've been away for a while licking my financial wounds with the new condo. Well, a year later, I'm finally getting my head above water, and I'm itching to go fast again. I'd like to get back into drag racing, but I can really only afford a limited schedule. I know enough that a short schedule will not keep my skills up enough to be competitive. After where I was when I stopped, I don't want to be another scrub again.

So, I've decided to see how fast I can get my 12 to go at Bonneville. Since I can't exactly afford new leathers (some events require unperforated leathers), I'm going to start with the BUB 'run what ya brung' race in September just to see if I'm going to like it.

Has anyone here run that particular event on their 12? If so, I would appreciate any advice you can give me. I've got 5 months to get everything ready. Here are some questions that I have:

1. Tires - are the stock tires ok to go that fast, or do I need to get some special ones?
2. Tech - other than safety wiring everything, is there anything else I need to do to my bike to pass tech?
3. Hotel - Can you recommend any specific hotel in the area?

Yeah, I know that it's early to be thinking about this, but I don't want to be scrambling everything together the week before I have to leave.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted April 18, 2006 07:58 PM        
Uh, yeah. I have.
You need to get a rule book. Contact the SCTA, join and get a rule book. You can get information on Speed Week (run by the SCTA) and who to contact and the BUB meet (run by Dennis Manning) by going to landracing.com
There is very little flexibility in the rules. Read them CAREFULLY and follow them EXACTLY.
You might want to read the thread below: " ZX12R restriction from Keith Parnell".
It's probably already too late for a reservation- get on the wait lists and keep trying, you'll find a bed.
Oh yeah, and go see "The World's Fastest Indian". You can see what you'll look like when you're 70.
Doug

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 18, 2006 10:05 PM        
Thanks, Doug. I was hoping that you would reply. I'll check out the website.
  Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted April 19, 2006 06:48 AM        
I would love to do that!!
and the Movie is great!!!!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
TRNorBRN6001

Needs a job
posted April 19, 2006 07:36 AM        
Yep, It would be cool to run with the salt boys. I am hoping to try in 2-3 years. I do hear
ya got to follow the rule book to the N" degree. I also believe leathers may not have any
expansion joints not covered with leather! Good Luck and keep us up dated.

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 08:46 AM        
quote:
I would love to do that!!
and the Movie is great!!!!!

So, what's stopping you, Mike? Why not plan on meeting me on the Salt this September? With your big motor, you should be able to get into the 200mph club long before I do.

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 08:47 AM        
By the way, another question for Doug. I'm flying solo on this one. Can I run without a crew? Can I just show up by myself and make the passes, or do I need a crew with a chase vehicle?
  Ignore this member   
MadMike

posted April 19, 2006 10:40 AM        
$$$$$

dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted April 19, 2006 11:11 AM        
Wannabe,
Not really. I don't know about the BuB meet, but at SCTA meets you are not allowed to drive race vehicles anywhere but on the course. Therefore , your "crew" (of 1 probably) needs to meet you at the big end with the trailer/truck and bring the bike back to the pits. It's not as big a hassle as it sounds and I'd never try it even if you COULD drive back to the pits (which, before some dickhead ruined it for everybody, you used to be able to do). I've traditionally used the event as a really cool date and brought a girlfriend as pit crew.......
Doug

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 11:27 AM        
Thanks, Doug. Bummer about the crew thing. I don't think that I can convince anyone to drive 14 hours each way to do this thing with me. This may not work out for me after all.
  Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 11:28 AM        Edited By: wannabe on 19 Apr 2006 11:29
sorry...double post
  Ignore this member   
TRNorBRN6001

Needs a job
posted April 19, 2006 12:27 PM        
Yeah, by the time I make it out you'll have to get your butt cheeks pierced
and safety wired to your seat.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted April 19, 2006 05:02 PM        
Get creative! One year I took the 16 year old son of a friend- it was just an adventure for him.
Another year I tool a femaile frind that was off work 'cause she had her leg in a cast. All she had to do was drive. If you let that stop you, you really don't want to go that bad.
Doug

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 06:54 PM        
You're right, Doug. I guess I can use this as a test to see if the woman REALLY wants to be with me.
  Ignore this member   
Scooter

Zone Head
posted April 19, 2006 10:13 PM        
quote:
You're right, Doug. I guess I can use this as a test to see if the woman REALLY wants to be with me.

Well it's kinda hard for her to get away if she's got her leg in a cast now isnt it ?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Scooter's homepage. 
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 10:17 PM        Edited By: wannabe on 19 Apr 2006 22:18
quote:
Well it's kinda hard for her to get away if she's got her leg in a cast now isnt it ?

Thanks for the advice, but that won't work for me....... my truck has a manual transmission. She needs both legs to drive it.

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 19, 2006 10:19 PM        
By the way, I just got an e-mail from a guy who ran the BUB race the past two years. He said that they were allowed to ride back to their pits. I have an e-mail in to the BUB people to try to confirm what the actual rule is at their event.
  Ignore this member   
MadMike

posted April 20, 2006 08:03 AM        
Hey man, let me know what the rules... etc... are for the BUB people... and cost's etc....

wannabe

Pro
posted April 20, 2006 08:26 AM        
by the way, I just got a reply from the event manager for the BUB race. It looks like I'm 100% good to go.

quote:
We do allow you to ride back to the pit area- the BNI/SCTA events do
not, there may be some confusions from those that have run at SCTA for
many years and have not yet made it to our meet.

We do not have a problem wit it. We expect all riders to use common
sense and keep their speeds low on their return run, but we do want to
encourage those new to the sport to come out, and it is not always
possible to bring others with you!

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Kind regards
Delvene Manning
Event Manager

Mike, I'll post all the info once I have it. In the meantime, you can look at their website:

speedtrialsbybub.com

Ignore this member   
MadMike

posted April 20, 2006 02:59 PM        
hmmmmm... very interesting...

wannabe

Pro
posted April 20, 2006 03:31 PM        
OK, Mike. I see that you're thinking about it. I have the entree fee info now. It turns out that you can either do the 'run whatcha brung' event or pay for the regular event. The costs are as follows:

This is what the event director told me today:

quote:
Run watcha bring is $100 (incl t-shirt, goodie bag). It is limited to 2
runs ($50 per run after that) + AMA membership ($39 from the AMA).
If you enter before July 4th you get a gate pass too.

Normal (AMA/National records) is $325 prior to 4th July. Includes
unlimited runs, t-shirt, goodie bag, 4 gate passes, eligibility for
prize money and records.
If you don't pre enter its $450, plus you have to pay to get in the
gate ($30 for the week). If the event is rained out you get all but
$75 (or $25 RWB) back (admin fee) so it is worth signing up early.

Originally, I was planning to do the 'run whatcha brung', but I think that I'll be kicking myself if I drove 14 hours each way for only 2 runs. So, I'm just going to kick down for the full entry and make runs until I'm not allowed to any more.

Ooh, I'm sprotin' wood just thinking about this.

Come one, Mike. You know you want to do it. It's gotta be a much shorter drive for you. (Well, ok, I just looked at the map...maybe not.) If you do it, I know that we can goad at least another couple of guys to come too.

Ignore this member   
MadMike

posted April 20, 2006 05:50 PM        
well I have a couple of months.... but I am going to try and see if I can do it....no guarentee's but I have to push the pencil very hard. or sell a crap load of parts.....
If I do it might be bare budget!!! since gas prices will be over 3 bucks a gallon by then....
MM

wannabe

Pro
posted April 20, 2006 06:54 PM        
Everything I do is bare budget these days. I'm actually thinking about just throwing everything in the back of my truck since I would get better mileage that way compared to pulling my enclosed trailer. The only issue is that my stuff would be more secure in the trailer at night.

I've got 5 months to figure it out. Go out there and sell sell sell!!!

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted April 20, 2006 09:54 PM        
You need a trailer. Remember, There is NOTHING there. You want to keep your "pit area" mobile and easy to close up. The wind and weather can change bigtime in minutes and you want to get your stuff "inside". Remember, it's all SALT.
  Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted April 20, 2006 09:58 PM        
Thanks again for the advice, Doug!!

The next question is should I change my gearing from stock (19-tooth front), or should I just leave it alone for my first time out?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Anyone ever run Bonneville? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.723074913025 seconds processing time