HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: FI light, hard starting and stalling NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
RS

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2002 10:31 PM        
FI light, hard starting and stalling

I know this has been covered in some manner in the past, however I was unable to find the threads using search. This morning the bike stalled after starting in the usual manner (hit starter, bike starts and stalls, hit starter again and bike stays running). Idled for a few seconds and then the FI light illuminated and then it stalled. Subsequent attempts to start the bike failed unless I opened the throttle a little. Then it would start and run for approx. 1-2 seconds and stall again. Tried modulating the throttle with same results.

Plan on disconnecting the PCIII when I get home and see if that helps. After that I will try to get the ECU into the diagnostic mode and see if any codes are present. If these fail to remedy the problem, I will be at a loss. I would rather not take the bike in to the dealer, even though I have the extended warranty.

Now to the point of this post! Anyone have any additional recommendations that may prevent me from having to leave the bike at the mercy or the dealership?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or flaming.

Ignore this member   
RS

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2002 10:46 PM        
Forgot to add that the FI light only came on the one time and did not illuminate during the other attempts.
  Ignore this member   
psycho1122

Pro
posted March 26, 2002 10:56 PM        
Diagnostics

If you do not pull a code, all sensors are ok....but the fuel delivery system has no sensors, check the condition of the fuel system along w/ checking that the ECU has proper power supply.

Ignore this member   
RS

Expert Class
posted March 26, 2002 11:08 PM        
psycho1122, Thanks for the reply. Will check those out if the others don't remedy the situation.

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted March 26, 2002 11:41 PM        Edited By: dougmeyer on 27 Mar 2002 07:42
If you don't get any codes, look to the engine temp sensor or the TPS.
Doug

Ignore this member   
rs

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2002 12:25 AM        
Doug, Thanks for the input. I just got home and thought I'd see if it would start. Well now it started right up and ran for about 45 seconds and stalled. The FI light did not come on. Started right back up and stalled one other time after about 45 seconds or so. Started up again and no other problems. Now I'm just afraid to ride the thing, as I'm sure the problem will return. It wouldn't be much fun to have that happen in traffic.
  Ignore this member   
big12

Novice Class
posted March 27, 2002 12:56 AM        
I used to have the same problem came to find out it was a bad PCIIIR. The dealer disconnected it and it ran fine after that. Try that.
  Ignore this member    Click here to send BIG12 an AIM message. 
rs

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2002 01:12 AM        
Just checked the fault codes.

In mode 1 I get a continuous series of short flashes (counted to 55 and quit). Not sure what that means and I repeated the proceedure with the same results. From how I understand the proceedure in the service manual I shouldn't get any flashes if the system is functioning properly and there is no code with that many flashes and also all codes start with at least one long flash. Not sure what this is telling me.

In mode 2 I get fault code 11 (one long flash and one short flash) this is the only code I get and it repeats until the mode is discontinued. This indicates the throttle sensor (Doug) has malfunctioned sometime in the past, but is not currently malfunctioned.

Any input on the above proceedure, especially the mode 1 continuous flashing would be greatly appreciated.

Ignore this member   
rs

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2002 08:24 AM        
Just fired it up again and the problem still hasn't returned. Anyone have an idea about the continuous short flashes in mode 1 diagnostics?
  Ignore this member   
12RPilot

Pro
posted March 27, 2002 10:24 AM        
Been There!!

This sounds just like the problem I had the first week I had mine. They swapped out the ECU with a new one and never had the problem again.
NESBA #209

http://www.bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/04zx10r/

Ignore this member    Click here to send 12RPilot an ICQ message. Click here to add 1781480 to your ICQ list. 
rs

Expert Class
posted March 27, 2002 11:12 AM        
After further investigation and trying to make sense of the weird English used in the service manual, I am now under the impression that the short flashes are a normal indication if there is no fault code. Page 2-52 of the service manual states "If there is no problem, no code is shown" and "Repeat blinks(C) or light (B), unlight (A)" then there is a diagram showing that while the terminal is grounded there is either no light, a steady light or continuous short flashes.
Guess I'll erase the fault codes (code 11 in mode 2) and see if it comes back. The bike is running fine now and I haven't done anything else to it.

On another note, Hurry on down to your local Wal-Mart and see if you can get some Mobil 1 MX4T. They have it on clearance for $1 a quart now! If they don't have the MX4T then get the V-Twin stuff and exchange it for the MX4T at your local AutoZone.

Ignore this member   
rs

Expert Class
posted March 29, 2002 09:00 AM        
Problem came back again. I pulled the battery and the voltage was 11.8. Charged the battery to around 13 volts and reinstalled it. Bike ran fine, but I didn't have time for a ride to road test it. The next morning the problem was back again. Guess extra battery voltage from charging was hiding the real problem and after the voltage stabilized the problem returned. I then adjusted the TPS to 1.086 vdc and the problem was gone. Took it for a test ride and it was fine. Also noticed that didn't lug as bad when taking off from a stop after the adjustment. Tomorrow morning I'll fire it up with my fingers crossed and if everything is ok, I'll hook up the cable to the PCIII and verify that the throttle position setting are correct on that also.

Verified my theory about the diagnostic mode flashes also. Once the codes were cleared from the ECU it gives me the continuous series of flashes in both modes. I think that a normal indication of no codes is indicated by one of the following: a series of short (1/2 second) flashes, the lamp remaining out or the lamp remaining lit.

Thanks for the assistance!

Ignore this member   
ZXtra

Expert Class
posted March 29, 2002 11:20 AM        
Re: Stalling

rs...What was your TPS voltage before the adjustment?

Only other problem I've heard about is a loose connector at the side stand switch which would give an intermitent stalling or running problem.

Good luck! -ZXtra

Ignore this member   
RS

Expert Class
posted April 02, 2002 08:48 AM        
ZXtra, Pulled a bonehead move and moved the TPS before measuring the voltage!

The bike ran fine and I took it out for a two hour ride without problems and then the next morning the problem was back. Immediately disconnected the PCIII and the problem is gone and has stayed that way for the last couple of days. May have been a problem developing with the PCIII for some time as the bike seems to have picked up some power with it disconnected, or at least the throttle response seems much improved. Seems to run more like it did a couple of months ago when we had the cooler weather.

Will be removing the PCIII from the bike to inspect the wires and connectors for any chaffing or loose pins. Guess I'll put it back on even if I don't find anything and see if the problem returns and also to determine if I want to just take it off and leave off.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: FI light, hard starting and stalling NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.4060800075531 seconds processing time