HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Rear tire question, 180/55 vs. 190/50 ??? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Rear tire question, 180/55 vs. 190/50 ???
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
posted April 11, 2005 07:05 AM        
Rear tire question, 180/55 vs. 190/50 ???

Ok fellas, who here has ran both a 180/55, and a 190/50 on the rear of their 12R??? I have been running 180/55s for the past 2 seasons and like them pretty well. My only complaint is that things seem to get a bit sketchy when banked over hard. Especially if you try to get back on the gas real early and really drive out of a corner with authority. It does make for a nice show when all the guys behind you can watch you paint down vicious darkies though.

Anyways I'm thinking a 190/55 would be perfect but that size isn't available in your run of the mill street tire ala M1, BT014, etc........ So that leaves the 190/50. Where does it stand up in the mix?

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

Ignore this member   
eastbaydave

Needs a job
posted April 11, 2005 07:29 AM        
I personally think the 180 is too small...although some here run them...

I like the 190's myself...much faster steering/turn-in.

However if I was planning a lot of summer top-speed runs I'd go back to the 200 for safety.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted April 11, 2005 07:48 AM        
I have, but also would hardly count as a good source of which is better. On the other hand, Jonathan had ran both as well (more "your speed") and he preferred the 190 over the 180. Though I felt the 180 turned in quicker (again, refer to my previous statement) and was closer in tire height to the 200, Jonathan said he'd run out of tire in a corner with the 180.

The funny thing is that I once ran a 180 on my 10R and HATED it. Went back to the 190 as soon as I could.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Zone Head
posted April 11, 2005 09:10 AM        
The best would be 190/55 but that size comes only in very tract oriented tires...
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
posted April 11, 2005 09:31 AM        
Great info guys, thanks for the input.

Sherm, didn't you do some research on this at one time. Isn't the circumference of the 180/55 closer to the 200/50 than the 190/50??? I wonder how noticable this will be as far as gearing is concerned because my 12R is geared 17/47 now. 1st gear is instant wheelie, and 2nd is a little more forgiving.

All I do know is that I will take a 180 over the 200 anyday. The bike just turns in SO much better, but you do run out of tire pretty easily. That's why I'm lookin' into the 190s.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted April 11, 2005 11:18 AM        
Some old but still good reading...

http://www.bikeland.org/board//viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=187

Keep in mind that diffrent brands will result in different "real world" tire heights. There will be a slight change in gearing, but to best calculate the difference, measure your current (albeit - "worn") tire and then measure your new 190. I don't think it will have that much of an effect on gearing as it will on your suspension. Be sure and redo you sag settings after putting the new tire (which you should be doing anyway).

Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
posted April 11, 2005 11:51 AM        
'preciate that Sherm, that is a pretty informative thread. I think I'm gonna try a 190/50 BT014 and see how it works for me.

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted April 12, 2005 04:25 AM        
Rick if you are going to try the bridgestones might I suggest that for your ride style you try the BT 012SS, it will be a more sticky tire, and you are goingto get shit for mileage out of any tire due to your ham fisted antics.....lol

My buddy runs the 012SS's and loves them on his ZRX which is a heave bike like the 12.

My preference on the 12 as far as tires sizes was the 190/55, but liek you siad cant get them in regular tires, so then I would go with the 190/50. I tried a 180 ohn the back once and it just didnt give me a good feeling when leaned way over. The 190 series felt much better to me.

If tire heigth is that big of deal to ya, invest in a set of Kennedy adjustable dogbones for the 12 and then you can compensate for ride heigth there.....

Ignore this member   
tccycles84

Expert Class
posted April 12, 2005 02:44 PM        
ok i run a 200 rear and use the whole tire now lets talk front. can i usea 110/ over a120 or will it not fit the rim

Ignore this member   
harryzx-12

Needs a job
posted April 12, 2005 03:38 PM        
I like the 180 better. I bought a 190 one time but didn't like it as well.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
posted April 13, 2005 10:54 AM        
details MF, I need details............

What exactly did you not like about it Harry??? Turn in???

Tell me somethin' biatch, I'd hate to drive to Clarksville tonight and tattoo your face with my fuckin' fist!!!

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted April 13, 2005 12:04 PM        
Does Harry still live in Clarksville???????? If so give me a call BIATCH, I work in Clarksville now and we need to hook up and go riding. Me and Rog are going this weekend. Rick we are going towards Dickson, Waverly. Look us up and we can meet.
  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted April 13, 2005 01:44 PM        
hey Dick, give me a call and maybe I will make it down to meet ya........I need to do some riding, and tell Roger to call me when ya talk to him....

Ignore this member   
harryzx-12

Needs a job
posted April 13, 2005 03:37 PM        
To the Dicklickersburg cocksmoker - Come on over rover. I got an econo sized can of "whoop ass" just for you. I didn't like the way it turned fuckface (the 190).

brett- whats yer fuckin #? Can't go this weekend it's kates last weekend here (going back to england) I will pm you my phone #

Jim - Shut the fuck up!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

Ignore this member   
crashtech

Zone Head
posted April 13, 2005 04:39 PM        
Jim, I will call you Fri. ok? I am having a HUGE garage sale Sat. so I will be busy until about 10-12:00pm. But after that and Sun. it riding time. Harry, e-mail me at brettsbikeworks@bellsouth.net and I will call you. Maybe we can hook up and do lunch to talk about when and where to ride? I will check PM's tonight and tommorrow.
  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted April 14, 2005 02:53 AM        
Harry , bout freakin time you surfaced, and here all this time I thought shit floated.....guess I was wrong.....:P how ya like me know fukr......hahahahhahahah

Let me know and we can put together a mini rally around nashville somewhere so its in the middle of everyone. Would be easy for roge and Brett, Harry and Myself, and even Rick and Big Mike, along with a few others to make. Roge already said we could set up shop in his yard. think about that fellas....Hell Otis could ride down from his place it isnt that far. something to think about, we could do this one CHEAP....lol

Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
posted April 14, 2005 04:51 AM        
Fuck you Harry, you punk biatch!!!

Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
posted May 02, 2005 10:53 AM        
Update:

Well fellas Lil' Red is now shod with the BT014s. So far I really like them, and I think they'll really work well on the 12R. I went with the 190/50 and I think that was a good move as well. Though not as responsive on initial turn in as the 180/55, it is way more confidence inspiring when the bike is banked over. Don't get me wrong, the difference in turn in isn't drastic, but it does require a little more effort. The plus side is the bike just feels much better planted when banked over, not nearly as "twitchy" as it was with the 180. Me likey...............

Ignore this member   
jonwright

Needs a job
posted May 09, 2005 08:28 AM        
Yup. My thoughts exactly. At the same pace whereas on the 180 I'd be all the way to the side, the 190 would have tire left over.

While INITIAL turn in was a BIT slower, the confidence and stability whilst leaned over far outweighed initial turn in.

Plus one time I DID run out of tire...I posted that here one time but I'm not sure if I can find the link.....

I did the 190 and never looked back. I found that I didn't have to compensate for ride heighth or anything else. If the rear tire is a bit taller it puts a bit more weight on the front and quickens the steering a bit - kinda like raising the fork tubes ever so slightly.

You can scrape pegs and still hammer the throttle and be stable. With the 180 I wasn't even scraping pegs and had the rear end slide out because I was out of tire. Although I didn't wreck it scared the livin' shit out of me. I immediately bought the 190.

I've run the Bridgestone BT-010's and didn't like how they were inconsistant as they wore down. I haven't run the newer street tires, but I hear they are good.

I HAVE run the Bridgeston slicks on the track and they were EXCELLENT. Consistant, stuck, wore like iron, and were planted, stable. The rear spun up a little but not bad at all.

I never experimented with different front tire size as I thought the front end performance was fine.

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Rear tire question, 180/55 vs. 190/50 ??? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.309559822083 seconds processing time