HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A alternate option to a ChatterBox NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted January 22, 2002 08:33 PM        
A alternate option to a ChatterBox

http://www.labusas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1513

The Motorola FRS radios have a 1~2 mile range and with this headseat, you can have a PAIR of radios that have far better range the a ChatterBox and at less then half the cost! If you insist on spending the "big bucks", for about the same price as a pair of "high end" ChatterBox radios, you could get a pair of T6400 radios with a FIVE mile range.

Motorola sells the T6400 for $109 each (so a pair would be $218). A pair of those headsets would set you back another $110. You would also have to get a FCC license for a one time charge of $50. A pair of ChatterBox X-1 radios would set you back around $480~$600, plus the $50 FCC license. At least a $150 savings and the Motorola radios could be used for other things, like camping.

On the "cheap side", a pair of Motorola fr50 FRS radios goes for $69. Throw in the headsets at $110 and you got less then $180... FOR THE PAIR! A ChatterBox X-2 (that's just ONE), goes for $200~$250. A ChatterBox MultiSport goes for $160~$200 EACH. Even the ChatterBox 90 with it's worthless 1/2 mile range, goes for $110~$150 each.

Higher end Motorola FRS radios have opitions like FM Stereo radio (with 8 presets and scan), 8 weather channels, digital compass, altimeter, barometer, stopwatch and a clock. Okay, so you can't plug in your Nokia phone or CD player, but can you run a ChatterBox on AA batteries?

I have a pair of ChatterBox 90 radios that have been sitting on my work bench for about 3 years. I paid around $350 for the set and all the accessories. It was the WORST investment I had ever made in motorcycle communication. If I ever spend that kind of money on radios for riding, I'll just get a pair of T6400 radios. I might just buy a pair of fr50 radios and play around with them to see what kind of range I could get out of them (in the "signal blocking" mountians where I ride). If they are worth a crap, I'll buy the headsets. If not, I got a couple of "pit radios".

Ignore this member    Click here to visit redelk's homepage. 
Dino

Pro
posted January 22, 2002 10:27 PM        
The chatterboxes we have are the frs-multisport w/ 2 mile range.They have worked fine for us(altho longer range would be nice). Personally, I'd be leary of buying ANY unit thatdidn't have ptt button. The ideal setup would be the throat mike(currently being used for military,etc. and WAAAAYY PRICEY!!) They don't pick up ANY wind noise and are as clear as they come.Prolly long range too. Till something better,as convenient,and cheap($135.00)comes along,I'll stick w/ the C box!
  Ignore this member   
ddpete3

Pro
posted January 22, 2002 11:27 PM        Edited By: ddpete3 on 22 Jan 2002 23:35
I already own two motorola slk280 radios that I use for skiing...I wanted to just get a headset that would work and for only 54 bucks with them and now, I can...what a deal...

dino..it says it comes with a waterproof PTT switch.

Hey Nano, how about I buy one headset and you can sit on the side of the road with my other radio and I can make multiple passes for a test.

http://www.soundradio.com/mc_headset.html

The frequencies for my motorola are
MHz
and then there are some interference eliminator codes(38 of them) that are in Hz
67.0, 71.9, 74.4, ...250.3
anyone know what these mean and how close the frequencies are to the chatterboxes?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit ddpete3's homepage. 
22348bCVC

Zone Head
posted January 23, 2002 12:47 AM        
...you're on buddy!!!

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 23, 2002 07:06 AM        
I think the Chatterbox or the Collett bike to bike radio's/intercoms are the easiest & quickest fix. However, they are expensive. The Collett 900 to Cell Phone interface is especially interesting. Riding down the road talking on the phone...cool! Nice for single bike riding; & especially for those bike vs. car incidents. Call the police while you tail the culprit! (yes, I've been in that position.)

Nevertheless, myself being a "Ham" Radio operator (& a one-time AM/FM broadcast engineer) I'm aware of several solutions. This is entirely dependent on how much money you want to spend, & how much effort you want to put into it.

Consider the "Family Radio" walkie-talkies for a minute. You can get them anywhere (Radio Shack, etc.), & the cost is as cheap as <$40 per pair. Add a headset & bingo you're in business for as little as $100 or so. (*Go down to the local airport & buy a general aviation headset; they have noise canceling (mic elements built into the mic) microphones. If you've every flown in a small airplane, you will understand why. It's a very; very noisy environment.)

Then there's ("Ham") Amateur Radio solution. Much more performance from these radios, & separate, higher performance antennas can be attached. This can give you range (dependant on installation & $ spent) anywhere from a few miles, up to (no kidding) thousands of miles!

Even international communications are possible very easily; I have seen people do it. One Gold Wing rider recently went from New York to Anchorage via the Alaska Highway. He talked to 100+ countries & thousands of other Hams all over the country during the trip.

The only hassle is you must become a FCC licensed Amateur Radio Operator. Yes, you must pass a FCC test on simple electronics & rules & regulations. The Morse code requirement was dropped a few years ago; the test is VERY easy. If memory serves, the license is $10 for ten years; easily renewable via e-mail.

It's a wonderful hobby that I've been doing for decades & I never tire of it. Great when stuck at home due to bad weather or it's too cold in the garage to work on the bike! If you'd like to chat about it, respond here or send me e-mail (to dwright2@ix.netcom.com) with your phone number or questions. I'd be happy to fill you in. There are also clubs in just about every town in the country. Ask your local Radio Shack & they can typically steer you in the right direction.

Dave (radio station K6JOX)

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 23, 2002 07:24 AM        
quote:
and then there are some interference eliminator codes(38 of them) that are in Hz
67.0, 71.9, 74.4, ...250.3
anyone know what these mean and how close the frequencies are to the chatterboxes?

The tones are made up of CTCSS "codes."

CTCSS: Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System. This is the same thing that Motorola calls "Private Line," which
almost everybody else just calls "PL."

CTCSS was designed to be used for selective access to reduce co-channel chatter and interference. It consists of a tone frequency between 67 and 255 Hz, with a deviation of about 10% of the maximum allowed, transmitted along with your voice.

Simply put, your squelch in your radio will not "open" the receiver until it "detects" the tone coming in. You can select any of the available tones you wish, & your partner (or group) pre-selects the same tone (# in Hz.) This way you hear NOTHing unless one of the group hits the PTT button & transmits a signal with the tone imbedded in it. Cool..no?

Dave

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 23, 2002 07:30 AM        
Amateur Radio Info web link

Anyone wanting to look into this stuff, just click on the below link. Be forewarned, Amateur Radio is a whole world onto itself (just like riding), & you can spend days in here & not see the end of it.

Everything from talking to the hams on the ISS (International Space Station), to building kit radios for $10. Have fun!

Dave

http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html

Ignore this member   
ddpete3

Pro
posted January 23, 2002 10:13 AM        
so, do the frequencies mesh with any of the other systems?
redelk

posted January 23, 2002 11:44 AM        
From what I can tell...

From what I can tell, the frequencies used by the ChatterBox X-2 are the same as the Motorola FSR (or any other brand) and the X-1 is the same as the GMRS/FRS radios.

So... it appears that some folks could have a ChatterBox and others a FSR radio and still talk to each other.

swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted January 23, 2002 05:04 PM        
Ya know, it's great to see stuff like this... But what's an 'alternate option'???
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
redelk

posted January 23, 2002 06:49 PM        
Uhhhhhh....

... a "alternate option" other than the Collett?

DAMN IT, SWFT! STOP CONFUSING ME!

EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 23, 2002 07:31 PM        Edited By: EastBayDave on 23 Jan 2002 19:35
Any two radios (transceivers) on the same frequency if in the same mode (typically FM), WILL transmit & receive to each other (or any other radios tuned to the same frequency.) Kinda like a CB radio...

That's why the CTCSS codes (which are simply tones of different frequency) are used- to make a radio selective to only what YOU want to hear. If CTCSS is NOT enabled, it will receive any transmission on the frequency the radio is tuned to. If you enable the CTCSS codes, it will only "enable receive" (open the squelch) when the pre-set code is enabled, & the tone is detected by the receiver.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The solution, is to design a cost-effective system using similar devices, with noise canceling microphones, with either a WORKABLE VOX system (Voice Operated Transmit), or PTT (Push-To-Talk (or a button on the handlebar.)) This is the dilemma that Chatterbox & others have attempted to solve, so far unsuccessfully. The reason no one can cure it as most riders don't want to pay over $100-$300 for a good radio & headset/mic, which is what's actually needed to solve the uh, issues.

A really good headset/mic combo (aircraft type as mentioned) is pretty pricey. My dad's headset for his small plane was $700. But guess what, it works pretty good! I donno about you guys, but the Chatterbox hanging off the helmet is pretty ugly to me. To do it right on a bike, it's going to cost at least $400-$700 & all the little issues could be solved. I've often thought about inventing one, but as I'm not working right now- I don't have the venture capital. Anyone wanna invest?

I still have trouble seeing it happening unless a really economical, but effective, system could be designed from the ground up as the Chatterbox is. To make it work would require only $100-200 more in equipment. Getting it into the price range motorcyclists want is the hardest part, all the physical limitations are already solved. Someone's just gotta figure out how to make it cheap enough & visually pleasing enough, with the PREFORMANCE we want.

Take a look at any cop or fireman. What do you think is up on their shoulder? A cheapo unit? Nope. It's probably a $1300 Motorola. Their stuff works, but it doesn't cost peanuts...

Dave

Ignore this member   
Scooter

Zone Head
posted January 24, 2002 03:09 AM        
Like I said before, the Collett's VOX works, thats why there is no PTT button and why they aint cheap. I will be bringing them to Deals gap, you can try 'em if ya like.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Scooter's homepage. 
22348bCVC

Zone Head
posted January 24, 2002 08:34 AM        Edited By: 22348bCVC on 24 Jan 2002 08:35
...more like $6000 Motorolas...assigned like the firearms...held responsible for it, take it home, turn it on, and we know you're 'ON' whether you like it or not...800MHZ system...I dunno how these things work, but our system is ALL DIGITAL with all the funky 'wark wook waork' sounds when you're in a bad reception area...frustrating...and sometimes DANGEROUS, too!...but anyway...I hope to have some kind of set up by Laguna...you guys have great ideas!

Ignore this member   
ddpete3

Pro
posted March 04, 2002 09:19 PM        
Got the package today...one for for 22348bCVC and one for me. Well, he bought me one for my 30th. Tried it out and it works well without moving.
We will see how it works Wednesday if we go for a ride.

Dino

Pro
posted March 04, 2002 09:56 PM        
DD, Which unit did you guys get????????????????????????
  Ignore this member   
ddpete3

Pro
posted March 05, 2002 08:51 AM        
I have the motorola 280slk and we bought the motocomm mc-552 to match.
After I mount one on my helmet, I will try and find someone with the chatterbox and see if we can match signals. I have scan capability on the motorola, so I can just have the chatterbox person talk until my motorola picks him up.

http://www.soundradio.com/mc_headset.html

ddpete3

Pro
posted March 06, 2002 08:18 PM        
They worked pretty good. 22348b cut holes in his hjc to fit it...I just velcored everything to the inside of my shoei.

Around 80 mph, it gets a little windy, but that is expected.

22348bCVC

Zone Head
posted March 06, 2002 09:00 PM        
houston...we're go for comm

...negative, ghostrider...I cut ONE hole to recess the mike in the chin-bar...I stuffed the rest of the wires UNDER the foam...now...how do we get X-FM on this thing?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A alternate option to a ChatterBox NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21756386756897 seconds processing time