HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: gas mileage ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
shrpshootr

Parking Attendant
posted July 07, 2004 05:10 AM        Edited By: shrpshootr on 7 Jul 2004 06:13
Gas mileage ?

I recently bought a 04 zx12 and I have noticed that the gas mileage seems to suck. The bike is still stock and I was wondering what should I expect as far as mileage? Oh by the way, I have already had the bike in the shop for a fuel injection issue, so I am wondering if I still have a problem with it.

Ignore this member   
canadamaxxer

Pro
posted July 07, 2004 05:22 AM        
These bikes do not seem to get good mileage at all. I get a maximum of 210 km's to a tank (including the reserve) with my 1270. The last bar on the gauge begins to flash at 180 km's. This is about the same mileage as before I did the big bore kit, pipe, etc. I feel better when I ride with my friends with 10r's....they need gas about as often as I do (slightly smaller tank, though). 185 km's for those guys turns on their low fuel lights. I guess it's safe to say it takes fuel to make power......but why do busa's get so much better economy?
  Ignore this member   
Miklos

Expert Class
posted July 07, 2004 06:30 AM        
I usually get 120 miles riding conservatively, or 90 miles riding hard.

I have only seen the RC-51 get worse mileage.

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted July 07, 2004 07:57 AM        
I have gotten almost 160 miles outo f a tank of gas.....but it was on fumes.....my gas light flashes at 130 miles or so....

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted July 07, 2004 09:57 AM        
the range of reports i'v read went from 30mpg to 40, with most being right around the middle. defintiely not great mileage for a bike.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
shrpshootr

Parking Attendant
posted July 07, 2004 12:50 PM        
I'm getting about 125 miles or so a tank, so I guess it's normal, unfortunately. I think what drives me the most insane is the fact that I lose two bars on the fuel gauge 15 miles after a fill up. Oh well, thanks for the info!
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted July 07, 2004 01:02 PM        
Someone did a report about the fuel Guage. The first bar is 10 miles and the second Bar is about 20 more, then mopre regular. Cruising between 75 to 85 with the map I made on the Step Hindle got about 40 MPG and add a little town it was down to 35 MPG strickly City, 30 MPG was the MAX!

Ignore this member   
widowmaker

Expert Class
posted July 07, 2004 05:47 PM        Edited By: widowmaker on 7 Jul 2004 18:55
shrpshootr
I have a 04 with the new injection system what was the issue??
thanks
By the way I get about 180 on the highway my 03 gets the same as the 04.

Ignore this member   
shrpshootr

Parking Attendant
posted July 08, 2004 08:12 AM        
My FI light was staying on. The dealer said a pin in one of the connectors had come out, if that makes any sense. Anyways, it was a quick fix, but I thought I might have had other issues since the gas mileage is low.

One other question though? The dealer stated that gas mileage should increse as the bike is broke in. They stated that around 2-3 thousand miles, I would see an increase in fuel economy. Is that BS?

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted July 08, 2004 08:35 AM        
On My stock 2k Zx-12r I got over 190 miles on a tank during a long trip from Seattle to Portland via Yakima. Even though my low fuel light hadn't come on, I decided to pull into Cascade Locks and fill up. Good thing too because it took over 5 gallons to fill her. I later found out there was a recall on the fuel gague. When I took her in for the warranty repair, the shop tried to stiff me. They finally relented and commented later, that even with the fuel gague off the tank and haning in mid air, it still didn't sense a low fuel condition. Oh well.... Mileage on my 1361 is bad. If I'm riding hard, I'm lucky to get 120 miles. Mileage on long trips is better about 140 miles on a tank..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: gas mileage ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2207179069519 seconds processing time