HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: media at it again... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted July 06, 2004 11:43 AM        
media at it again...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/otherviews/cst-edt-bald02.html

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted July 06, 2004 12:19 PM        
not exactly a well written article is it? sounds like a 12 yo repeating mommy's lecture. her general painting of all bikers as idiots aside, she has a point. as i see it, she's talkin about the groups that go rippin thru traffic, like u always see on the stunt vids (starboys, LVextreme, etc). and she puts forward the excellent advise of telling cagers to look out for them (well, us). we all know they defintiely need to do a better job of that.

one thing really bugs me tho... "It takes longer to stop a motorcycle than a car". HUH?!? perhaps for a complete newb since they cant simply slam on the brakes and let the abs do the work, but as a general statement that is SO wrong.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
BA

Pro
posted July 06, 2004 12:37 PM        Edited By: BA on 6 Jul 2004 19:49
She made a boatload of generalist statements.....makes me sick to my stomach......

Hey, feel free to mail her or the editor your thoughts!

ctc-editor@tribune.com

or

Arthur and Leslie Baldacci
11360 LOTHAIR AVENUE
CHICAGO, IL 60643-4134
(773) 779-7873

Ignore this member   
jonwright

Needs a job
posted July 06, 2004 02:07 PM        
What self respecting editor would let that horrible example of a column in print?

Damn.

Ignore this member   
jonwright

Needs a job
posted July 06, 2004 02:34 PM        Edited By: jonwright on 6 Jul 2004 21:35
Here's my Email to them. Cocksuckers.

========

Let me begin this Email with full disclosure: I ride a motorcycle. And race a motorcyle. And I also drive a car.

Ms. Baldacci has written an op-ed piece that has inaccuracies, generalisms, and in fact, is just plain wrong.

And while trying to expose the ignorance of the careless riders she in face, exposes her own ignorance. That's a shame as this article could have been a positive piece on the importnance of helmets, full protective riding gear and general safety.

But unfortunately, it wasn't. It rather reads like a quickly written diatribe of a columnest who needed a quick story for a deadline. And there's no research to back a couple of assertions. So, let me begin:

This din, as loud as an ambulance, will temporarily distract you from the business at hand, which is piloting your own vehicle on whatever busy, dangerous highway you happen to travel.

Let me see, so would she advocate turning down the radio and hanging up the phone so that drivers can hear the careless motorcyclists? I'm rather inclined to think that many drivers (and I see many of them) are so busy chatting on the cell phone to pay attention to other vehicles, much less a motorcyle - going at a higher rate of speed or not. This is unfortunate because of the obvious safety implications to other vehicles - no matter how many wheels.

The first thing they teach you about riding a motorcycle is that motorcyclists have to be smarter than other drivers to stay alive because motorcyclists are exposed and vulnerable.

Actually, that's accurate. So should I then conclude that because these helmetless people make it home that they are smarter than you?

It takes longer to stop a motorcycle than a car.

And this is totally false. Any skilled motorcyclist on almost any motorcycle in good working order will be able to stop in a shorter distance than any car. It's a class from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and they teach proper braking technique. Talk to someone there - do your job - and do some research. What about a call to the American Motorcyclist Association?

If you really want to outwit the nitwits you need to show you have more knowledge than them, and quite frankly, I don't see that. Unfortunately Ms. Baldacci has shown her ignorance and thus proven to me that it is she who is the nitwit.

So how many law abiding motorcyclist has she passed on the way to work? I wonder how many times she's pulled out in front of a motorcyclist, cut one off, or even more egregious - 'share' a lane with a motorcyclist?

How about an article that's useful? Like complaining about people who take the last bit of coffee out of the pot without making more at the office? That REALLY makes me mad.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted July 06, 2004 06:37 PM        
IT TAKES LONGER TO STOP A MOTORCYCLE THAN A CAR.

Is this a blatantly false statement? No, it is not.

Like any reporter doing a story fueled by emotion instead of exhaustive research to learn ALL of the FACTS. If one was to do minimal research, one would find that the "average" sportbike has a 80 to 0 stopping distance that would be equal to a BMW station wagon. There are MANY mid to high end cars that have a 80 to 0 stopping distance that is SHORTER than the majority of sportbikes offered today.

So, the statement is NOT false. It is TRUE! "Technically", that is.

It would be easy to just simply take this data and come to the same conclusion as the reporter has. Other aspects like tire total contact patch area of a car is far greater that any bike. So why would motorcyclist be under this misconception that they can stop in a shorter distance than any car out there?

Here the trick... automotive braking distances are measured with a professional driver behind the wheel and in a controlled conditions. The vehicles are new and thoroughly inspected prior to testing. It would be a safe bet that our roads are not populated with professional drivers in new cars.

Here's where it gets more confusing. "Inattentive operation" of a vehicle is not exclusive to cagers. If it was not an issue, we wouldn't have so many bikes running into the backs of cars. Also, when it comes to getting a license to operate either a automobile or a motorcycle, in depth testing of the operator braking skills is not tested. So is she right all the way around? No, not really.

Now with the majority of us being sportbike riders, we are unquestionably biased. There a good reason why and it is why we question her data. Though we are not tested on our braking skills, reducing our speed is a integrated part of our bike's operation and we don't just utilize our brakes to accomplish this. We also utilize the engine speed and gear selection to alter our rate of speed.

Though a car's mechanical features might make for a shorter stopping distance, when was the last time the "average" driver inspect their own vehicle and its brakes? Check their tire pressure and condition? Hell, when was the last time WE checked the brake fluid level in our own four wheeled vehicle?

For the most part, we and the majority of people we ride with, inspect our bikes on a regular basis, if not before every ride. While operating our motorcycles, or focus is on the ride itself and our attention is much higher attuned to our environment that 99% of automobile operators. In most cases, when subjected to the same unexpected road hazard, the "average" rider will start the process of braking soon than the "average" driver. The rider will take better advantage of the braking capabilities available to them. Even though the driver has more equipment available to them to potentially stop in a shorter distance, they are ill prepared to utilize them. Not to mention their failing to properly maintain these braking tools.

So, mechanically speaking, many cars can indeed stop in a shorter distance than the majority of sportbikes. Realistically speaking, a operator of that average sportbike can and will stop at least 25% shorter that the driver. In other words, it's the operator, not the vehicle that determines "real world" stopping distances.

Though dated material, here's in interesting link to motorcycle braking distances...

http://msgroup.org/TIP034.html

BTW - I haven't read the article yet. Too busy working on the brakes of the team's endurance bike.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit redelk's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted July 06, 2004 09:07 PM        
that woman is an idiot.........and the editor as well for printing such bullshit.....

Ignore this member   
jonwright

Needs a job
posted July 07, 2004 12:24 AM        
Elk - NON ABS cars?
  Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted July 07, 2004 03:55 AM        
well granted this is 10 years old, but i assumed things hadnt changed much (relatively) since then. if i'm wrong about stopping distances than my bad.

http://www.corvettearchive.com/images/1994/RTApr94/page10.jpg

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted July 07, 2004 03:57 AM        
PENDEJO!!
  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted July 07, 2004 07:22 AM        
dam that was harsh VOz......lol

Ignore this member   
BA

Pro
posted July 07, 2004 09:15 AM        
......I'm still looking up 'diatribe'.

Ignore this member   
ballisticzx12r

Zone Head
& Deals Gap Board Member
posted July 07, 2004 09:34 AM        
Fuck I agree With Her!!!

All right let me mix it up...

Although the article was not well written, I agree with a good chunk of what she said.

First I live in Chicago (suburbs) and although I love seeing a huge set of tit's and a thong pass me when I'm in my cage. This is a large part of the types of motorcycle riders you see, we simply call them squids.

Second As for having your ass woke up on the highway when someone buzzes the tower at 120, we all know that is going to mess with your head if not your pants. When I use to drive a truck, I've been scared shitless when I been the recepant of a fly by. Any gap memebers remember I-40? Need I say more!

Third and along those lines what if any respect for the rules of the road do we have when it's GO TIME?"

So as pissed as everyone is, it is our reputation and that is something we are going to have to live with, just like everyone on a harley is scumbag (which is not true).

Hopefully, where most of us are different is we don't ride without helmets and certainly without safety equipement.
When we are riding we don't act that way (right). You should look at yourself as a Good-Will Ambassor to the four wheelers.
Or do what I do and just don't ride on the fucking street anymore.
Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow.
Barto

Ignore this member    Click here to visit BallisticZX12R's homepage. Click here to send BallisticZX12R an AIM message. 
BA

Pro
posted July 07, 2004 10:19 AM        Edited By: BA on 7 Jul 2004 20:23
yeah, it's easy for most of us to agree with the "message" she's trying to send, but her delivery of the message is horrible.

The average Tribune reader will believe exactly what they read without the benefit of weighing it against the knowledge that we as motorcyclists already have.

she's probably pro-Kerry too.....

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted July 07, 2004 01:33 PM        
dont get me started on Kerrys stoopid ass.....I could rant for days......

Ignore this member   
widowmaker

Expert Class
posted July 07, 2004 01:57 PM        
lol,,, I get a kick out of this part if your driving 70 in a car when the speed limit is only 55 mph in the chicago area you already have reckless disregard of the law and if everyone would ride a motorcycle their would be no trafic jams thats the news paper for you ((dirty laundry)).
If you're driving a car at 70 mph in the fast lane, the swarm will pass you in a matter of seconds. So figure the bikers are going at least 85-90 mph. This reckless disregard of the law and their own personal safety will likely stun and annoy you

I work in chicago me and my boss love blasting through traffic I do wear a helmet and a leather coat.

I do see some doing it without a helmet.
I can remember when I would never where one.

Ignore this member   
zxfingyz

Expert Class
posted July 08, 2004 03:50 AM        
i'm not a Chicagoan but I play one on TV!
F%$k that lady! She's a school teacher! All due respect to those crazy souls who fight that fight, but what the heck do you think she is gonna say? That is the same lady who called your mom when you climbed the hightension tower when you were a kid. She can kiss our ass.

She is righ, you highway riding maniacs here in the CHI are freeking nuts. Some nights I think after I get the fly by that for sure I cam going to come around the corner there at 95th on the ryan and the whole road will be covered in formerly fine now severly scraped thong booty. How bout when you see em and the boy is wearing the helmet and the girl is wearing a tank top a bandana and some short shorts. He loves you baby! For sure.

And when I am coming into the city at night or in the morning and I just happen to be doing 120 heck, I think about writing letters to the editor about women, most likely school teachers, about 40-55 who feel they must camp out in the left lane. That is dangerous. Get your school teacher ass in the right lane and you won't even notice when I blow by. Besides your phone is ringing and your make-up needs just a bit of adjustment.

everyone on a harley is scumbag (which is not true).
Right, most of em are wanna be scumbags.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: media at it again... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.45393204689026 seconds processing time