HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: First engine problem: Fuel Injection? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 08:48 AM        
First engine problem: Fuel Injection?

Help me please figure out what is going on cause the service department at the Kawi dealers around here are backed up for the next three weeks.

Left with a group of riders at 7 this morning, after about 40 miles I started having this problem:

Basically, whenever I hit 7500rpm's, the bike dies in power back down to 7grand, with the FI light coming on.

It's like I'll just be riding normal, and then the bike just dies suddenly, jerking me back down, then back up again.

It doesnt matter the gear I am in either. I rode it a couple hundred miles plus yesterday, hitting over 160 a few different times, never had a problem.

Please advise...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted June 03, 2004 09:38 AM        
if you have a PC on the bike disconnect it, plug the oem harness back together and see if it gets better, if not check the connections on the coils, make sure everything is plugged in and tight....you may set the TPS, though I am not sure if it will do what you are talking about...check all your vacume lines......bout all I can think of....

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 09:41 AM        
no pc hdl...

the entire bike is completely stock, from electronics to engine....

Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 09:44 AM        
sounds like a loose connection then Daniel....check all the electrical connections and make sure they are all tight....did you fill it up yesterday before you went home, and how many miles did you ride after your last fillup?
Bad gas maybe?

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 09:50 AM        
Yeah I thought it might be gas, but the only reason I figured it wasnt was because the power losses were not random...just at 7500rpm's every time, fairly consistent.

In regards to the gas, I only use 92octane from the same Name-brand stations I always use in this area, so no funny gas to worry about (I think).

Topped the tank off after yesterday's ride, so it would be ready for this morning since I knew we were getting up so early. Yeah I was riding then for about 40 miles not a problem, came around a corner and I practically always ride the bike right around the 8grand mark, and then it just started happening...

And there was a 10R riding next to me that was already making me sad, now my 12 was making me face a state of depression...

worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted June 03, 2004 09:56 AM        
...what would Superman do?

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
deathpulse

Pro
posted June 03, 2004 09:57 AM        
I would check loose connection, or water on a connection. Did you wash the bike recently? I've had some screwy electronic stuff happen after washing the bike, or after getting caught in a HEAVY downpour.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 09:59 AM        
no rain here in a few days...weather is hittin mid 80's finally....

I'll still go check my connections though....

And what are coils? Forgive me if this is a dumb question...

worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 10:05 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 3 Jun 2004 11:08
quote:
no rain here in a few days...weather is hittin mid 80's finally....

I'll still go check my connections though....

And what are coils? Forgive me if this is a dumb question...

...not a dumb question at all if you don't know what they are and what they do...if you don't already have one for your bike, I think I have a spare 00'ZX-12R shop manual you can have to get you started in the right direction as far as knowing where the parts are (yeah, I know you have an '03, but the parts are close enough)...how do the parts work?...you need to ask the other guys more qualified than me for those answers...lemme look in the dungeon...

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 10:09 AM        
I have a service manual already worm (thanks mucho though for the offer), except it is at home right now. I am about 120 miles from home...and I didnt want to drive my bike back home just yet until I figured out the problem.

I talked to the dealer and the service department said that if it is a fuel injection problem, not to drive the bike because I might "wash out a cylinder with gas" whatever that means...

He also said to check my sparkplugs, but I didnt think they had anything to do with the FI...

Otis

Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
posted June 03, 2004 10:55 AM        
Beans, I had the same problem the 1st summer I bought my 00' 12. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what the hell it was so I took it to the dealership. Stupid me checked everything but....drumroll please....the battery connections. Yep, the service manager called me laughing and said the positive connection had worked loose, prolly loose from the get go and when he tightened it up the problem went away. So pull the battery tray and check the coneections, chances are that's your culprit.
Chris

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 11:04 AM        
...I'll try to remember...RULE # 1: Always, always check the connections to the battery first...

...I remember now...had the same symptoms and the same diagnosis on my Caprice when I called AAA to assist me on the side of I-15 in the middle of the night...I felt like a goof!...good one, Otis!

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
Otis

Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
posted June 03, 2004 11:50 AM        
Indeed I felt like a goof too worm. Well, more like a stupid idiot actually.
  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 01:49 PM        
Beans I dont know if you are familure with electronics at all but Iwill give you a short rundown on coils...basically they are a step capacitor, they take an electric current and increase the output and then send it through the sparkplugs to fire them....if a coil goes bad, or if the connection is loose. The coil cant provide an adequate spark to fire the sparkplug correctly. The faster you go the more load you put on the coils. So if something is a miss you may not notice it at idle, but will definatley see it with the increase in load......I had a buddy that had a coil go bad in Myrtle Beach this year on his Road King. The bike had been running all week, but just was lacking power. One night on the way to the hotel it quit running all together. then just as abruptly as it quit it started running again....he rode it almost 20 miles back to the hotel, and that was the last time it ran until we changed out the coild the next day....

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 02:07 PM        
Geez...another thing to look at tonight...

I have been checking everything...I'm far away from home so I am in some lack of tools...

It doesnt matter if the bike is running either...if the bike is parked, in neutral, and I give it some gas, a lil after 8grand it just loses power for a second and then fires back up the tach....

Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 02:08 PM        
sounds like a short somewhere.....I had a pice of dirt in a main jet on my wifes 600 and it would only turn 10 grand on the tach and go 100 mph.....took us forever to figure out one little piece of dirt was the culprit.....

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 02:10 PM        
Dealer here in town called me back and said to bring the bike by tomorrow morning when they open...and he will sure "try" to fit me in the first physical timeslot that might not ever come available...

But if they do get me in, is this something that is or should be covered under the bike's extended warranty?

Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 02:13 PM        
I would think that it should be, unless its from some sort of abuse that you have put the bike through, even then they have to prove that is was your fault adn not faulty equipment....

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 03, 2004 06:05 PM        
if the FI lite is coming on beans, then the ECU is logging error codes... open up yer manual and it tells you how to dump the error codes... you need to do this to determine the prob...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2004 07:15 PM        
quote:
if the FI lite is coming on beans, then the ECU is logging error codes... open up yer manual and it tells you how to dump the error codes... you need to do this to determine the prob...

that is the best advice i have heard yet...thanks and ill check that...

beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2004 12:43 AM        
Dang was driving my 12 back to the storage unit to get it parked so I could work on it after class tomorrow and not good...

Problem is no longer happening after 7grand, but at random spurts, just losing all power. Well the bike wouldnt run anymore, died on me while riding. So I coasted it off to the side of the road and when I tried to start it it killed the onboard computer or something.

Now when I turn the key on, it lights up the dashboard and that is it. The tach and speedo needles dont do their thing of winding up and down and the display that show the mileage/temp doest even fill in with numbers. It's just backlit with nothing to show...

So three hours later, got it loaded up in my truck and back home....

Will start taking it apart tomorrow...

Will be looking at these things:

ECU error codes
battery terminal connections
sparkplugs
fuel filter (3 people have mentioned this)
coil
otherwise, maybe a fuel pump issue (only one here that is covered under warranty)

stay tuned for chapter one of my own personal saga...

beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2004 06:54 PM        
OK, after doing lots of reading in the service manual, I took the 12 apart to start figuring out what is going on.

Battery terminal connections are fine.

I figured I would just check the ECU code, for that would tell me if there was a problem with the coil or wherever else there is something causing all this...but the no lights come on at all.

When I turn the ignition to the On position, the dials are not even going up and then back down like normal. The fuel guage, temp guage, clock, and odometer are not even coming on. The only things that come on is just the backlight of the instrument guage and that's it. The center front light comes on, and I the blinkers all work, but nothing else electrical.

No LED lights, not even a neutral light, no FI light, nothing...I dont know what else to check...

I unplugged the ECU and disconnected the ground, waited a minute, and plugged them both back in but it's having the same problem...

why oh why????

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 04, 2004 07:30 PM        
main fuse?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2004 09:39 PM        
I checked all the fuses that sit near the fuel tank opening on the top there...is the main fuse something else your referring too?

Where else are there fuses on the bike?

lrg

Novice Class
posted June 05, 2004 01:36 AM        
I tell you what, call your dealer where you bought your bike and tell them to suck your dick. 3 weeks to get your bike in is bullshit, next time buy your bike from someone the gives a shit.

Like I told you if I call my dealer he gets it in the same day cause I bought it there.

Sorry to hear your bikes down bro.

have your battery tested, could be a dead cell.
charging system?

Put the power commander on my bike, took her for a midnight spin. Damn I love the ti force.

Fix it trade her off for the 10, buy a 12 next year when they redo them.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: First engine problem: Fuel Injection? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.39314699172974 seconds processing time