HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Gear selection Problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
sillverstreak

Parking Attendant
posted May 03, 2004 04:23 AM        
Gear selection Problems

I need some assistance.Had a ride out yesterday and noticed
for the first time in three years I was having problems gearing down,it just did'nt want gear down.The problem was intermittant fortunately but did become a pain in the arse as you can imagine.Was just wondering if anyone out
there has any ideas before I have to start a strip down
at the start of the season.Please E-Mail me direct to
paultheaker2000@yahoo.com if you have any thoughts that may be of some help.Look forward to hearing from anyone and
thanks for your time Paul.........

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted May 03, 2004 04:36 AM        
if it has just started recently, did it start happeneing about the time you changed oil? did you change oil types? I have had a problem with my 6RR, I couldnt clutch it up in 2nd, and I use to be able to do it easy....I just changed the oil and low and behold I can clutch 2nd again easy as pie.....the shifting was very notchy as well, and tha thas cleared up with the oil change.....I know the oil wasnt bad, the bike has had 6 oil changes on it and its only got 4400 miles on it....I change it before I go to the track every time...got to have fresh oil in it if I am gonna turn 15,000 rpms all day long....try changing the oil and oil type first see if it gets better....

On my 12 I dont run Motul, I tried it once and didnt liek the way the bike shifted or the way the clutch felt....

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted May 03, 2004 07:46 AM        
HDL, which "Motul"? I have great success with the E-Tech 100. Also, the shifting may be from a few warped plates (Usually on the inside of the basket) which is where I would check first!

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted May 03, 2004 09:30 AM        
HDL, which "Motul"? I have great success with the E-Tech 100. Also, the shifting may be from a few warped plates (Usually on the inside of the basket) which is where I would check first!

VERY good advice! When plates are warped, it wants to creep also...

Ignore this member   
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted May 03, 2004 09:50 AM        
quote:

VERY good advice! When plates are warped, it wants to creep also...

And a even "louder" Clunk when you put it in gear!

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted May 03, 2004 11:15 AM        
I dont recal which one it was Vinnie, a buddy suggested I try a differnt oil and it worked....thats all I know....start with the easy and cheap when finding solutions to problems....oil change was easy and cheap and it fixed my problem, my bike now shifts great, and I have no clutch issues with 17,000+ miles on my stock clutchs. ( I dont drag race, and dont clutch wheelies very often).

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 03, 2004 03:50 PM        
Sometimes it is the shift linkage not returning to its center position. in some cases new oil will help. To see if this is the problem, the next time it does this VERY gently lift up on the shifter, not enough to shift, just enough to center the linkage. Then see if it shifts down. If so the linkage is binding slightly. Lube all outside pieces if it still does this tap on the end of the shift shaft ever so gently to loosen things up and lube around the seal. IMHO
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Gear selection Problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.793987989426 seconds processing time