HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Need some racing refueling help NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted March 03, 2004 01:27 PM        
Need some racing refueling help

I'm looking for a source for a fuel dump can for our endurance team. It needs to work with OEM fuel tanks & openings.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit redelk's homepage. 
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted March 03, 2004 01:49 PM        
I think IMS makes one. Even if it's dry break, you can modify easy enough.
imsproducts.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
redelk

posted March 03, 2004 10:20 PM        
Thanks KB. The only one we had found so far is the Acerbis quick fill system.

jonwright

Needs a job
posted March 07, 2004 10:52 AM        
day-um! That is some trick shit.
  Ignore this member   
sleepr

Parking Attendant
posted August 07, 2004 10:51 AM        
What were you able to find Redelk? I'm looking for the same thing, did you get the acerbis or did you find something else? How well does it work.

Ignore this member   
redelk

posted August 07, 2004 06:00 PM        Edited By: redelk on 7 Aug 2004 19:02
The Acerbis Quick Fill System is designed for what they call "standard uncrew gas cap". Basically, it works best with dirt bikes and aftermarket sportbike caps (i.e. Vortex). CMRA does not allow the tank opening to be changed or altered for OEM in the classes we run in.

It might have worked but the $260 price for the can and $55 for the stand, kinda turned us off on that idea. Sure, it could move 5 gallons in a claimed 6 seconds, but it just wasn't worth $315 (+ shipping). Still, we had to find something. A standard VP jug an hose can take almost 90 seconds to dump 5 gallons. We went with two different systems. Both work well with OEM gas cap openings.

The first one is the Sure-Fill SF150. This is a spring loaded spout and cap system that will screw onto any standard 5 gal. fuel jug. It will move 5 gallons in a little under 30 seconds. The spout is made of anodized aluminimum and the cap is made of heavy plastic. There is a hard plastic vent tube on the SF150 that runs from the cap to the bottom of the jug. The SF is kinda pricey at $95, but it works real well and is the preferred method of refueling by the team.

The guy that sells (and makes?) them used to have a website, but it is gone. As a matter of fact, it went down as we were in the process of trying to buy one off his site. If he is still around and selling them, you can reach him at SalesSureFill@aol.com

The other system we have is a complete fuel jug from Hunsaker Sports. We got the 5 gal. version (also offer a 11 gal.) for $60. The fill tube on the Hunsaker is only slightly larger then the one on a normal jug. Don't let that fool you. It is the handle/vent tube set-up that makes this jug move 5 gallons just about as fast as a SF150.

The way the Hunsaker jug is shaped makes it fairly easy to hold while refueling. THe downside is refilling the jug itself. Unlike a regular jug with it's large opening (when the cap is off), the Hunsaker is filled by removing the cap off the vent/handle. The opening is not much larger than the filler hose itself. You also have to remember to remove the filler hose cap when refilling the jug. If you don't the fuel will just fill up the vent/handle part and then start spewing fuel all over the place (and on you).

Even with that minor downside, overall, it's still a pretty good jug and worth the $60 (+ shipping) we paid for it. You can order one direct from their website. They accept PayPal, but I'm not sure if they take any major credit cards. They did not at the time we got ours. Here is the link to thier jug:

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2&catid=2

sleepr

Parking Attendant
posted August 08, 2004 08:40 AM        Edited By: sleepr on 8 Aug 2004 09:48
Thanks Redelk, got a race coming up and trying to decide options, I figured at least 90-120 seconds for a refill with a standard jug. I wondered if the Acerbis would require a new cap, don't wanna shell out all of that dough for one race. The Hunsaker sounds like it might be an option, do I assume you don't actually turn the jug completely over like you would a dump can?
  Ignore this member   
redelk

posted August 08, 2004 09:00 AM        
You might be able to use the OEM opening with the Acerbis system, but I'd think that trying to move 5 gallons, in a claimed 6 seconds, through the OEM opening would make a big mess. Maybe not.

You do not turn the Hunsaker straight up like a dump can. It pours similar to a standard jug, but you can hold it at a steeper angle.

sleepr

Parking Attendant
posted August 09, 2004 09:54 AM        
Redelk, you guys are running R6's right? the Hunsaker holds enough for a full refill? with no splashover or do you just fill can with what you need. This will be my first endurance race, so we're just tring to plot out pit and race strategy, any tips you can offer would be appreciated! Were running a 3.5 hr race with 2 riders, and allowed 4 crew members. thanks!

Ignore this member   
redelk

posted August 09, 2004 01:53 PM        
No need to fill the jug with five gallons. Figuring that you'll be doing one stop, you might need three to four of gallons at most. Track length, riding styles and many other factors will come into play, so don't take this as gospel. You might get 30 MPG and then again, you might get 20.

If anything, during practice (prior to the race), top off the tank. Count the laps run and top the tank off with a "measured amount". In other words, if you know how much gas you used in relation to the number of laps you ran in practice, You will have a ROUGH estimate of what your gas consuption will be.

If you are on a 1.7 mile track and doing lap times of 1:30, in 3.5 hours you'll cover 230 miles at the most. That is if there are no red flags that stop the race and you do a single pit stop. Though not impossible, I have yet to see a endurance race not have at least one red flag (usually 2 or 3).

If you plan on having on more than one stop, two or three gallons at the most. Keeping in mind, no matter how quick your refuel/rider change stops are, each one will easily cost you a lap or more.

All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Need some racing refueling help NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20478892326355 seconds processing time